Hi....I play classical guitar and I am used to stretching my new strings this way *over tuning or overwinding them two note higher, for example E string as high as sol#...A string to do#, and keep that tension for 24hours by retuning them again as I could within 24 hours* I did not notice anything strange but this time I have a recording session, did I damage my strings? should I replace them? my guitar is comps and the strings DADARIO EJ45....
Thank you.
Urgh, no. DON'T DO THAT EVER! It'll depend whether you stretched the string past its yield strength or not. Most likely not, but don't do that again please. I feel bad for your new strings. The whole stretching new strings thing is a myth btw. Break them in slowly if you want them to last, and don't sweat on them/wipe them if they're plated.
Thank you for your help but there is one more thing I want to mentioned, I remember one of the strings I guess D or A gave some wheeze like sound when I overwinded it, should I just ignore that..I worry just because I will record a new song..
the strings sound and feel normally though.
Last edited by amrmakki2 at Aug 19, 2016,
Sounds like that suggest to me that the guitar was under a lot of strain - timber moving. Maybe you were lucky that the bridge didn't come off! I think it is possible that you have done some structural damage with the high string tension, and perhaps that is what caused the tone changes you first mentioned.
One of the main things to consider on any guitar and especially nylon stringed is to have a good amount of wind on the pegs to keep the tension stable and to prevent slippage. I tune new strings a step below standard concert or open D for a few days before bringing them up to key. I consider this technique to be a factor into why my strings never break.
Quote by skido13
One of the main things to consider on any guitar and especially nylon stringed is to have a good amount of wind on the pegs to keep the tension stable and to prevent slippage. I tune new strings a step below standard concert or open D for a few days before bringing them up to key. I consider this technique to be a factor into why my strings never break.

I tune up to D also before going up to concert - and, indeed, keep one guitar permanently in standard D.

I disagree with you about having lots of wind on the peg though - I go for 2 or 3 max.
Amount of string on the peg is dependant on several factors and is not always needed as you say, 2 or 3 should be enough with the gradual workup.
Nylons could have a certain amount of stretch time before they reach their final timber which some might think is slippage.