Hi, I'm just about to purchase the ESP LTD Viper 100fm, but I also need an amp, of course. My budget is pretty low; 40 dollars. I've considered perhaps getting the Vox amPlug, since its in that price range but I'd also like hearing other people's opinions, from those who use it and also recommendations. I'm just starting out, I've been practicing on my acoustic but I'm moving to an electric. The type of music I'd play would be themes of any kind but also move towards the rock genre and so on. I'd appreciate no form of "Stick to acoustic" advice. Thanks!
Find a Zoom G1on, used if necessary. You won't regret it.

Failing that, any used multi effects unit (Line 6 would be a good place to start) would be 100 times better than the amPlug you're considering.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yes, it has a headphone jack.

It also has dozens of amp models, dozens of effects,a tuner, a basic drum sequencer, a looper, and an aux input.

The amPlug is OK, but it only does one thing and you're stuck with it. Get a multi effects unit, you can do almost everything imaginable.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington

It looks good but I'm just a little concerned since I've never seen something like it. Does it require batteries or does it plug into a socket?
Thing is, I need an amp that can use the speakers and can plug in headphones for silent playing. But doesn't this need an amp?
The Amplug you're looking at can't do that, it can only really do headphones. Also, it only has one sound, so it extremely un-versatile.

A multi effects unit can feed headphones, be plugged into an amp, or you can use the headphone jack to run a cable into the aux input of a stereo system.

The Zoom I recommended has several amp simulators built in, so you can emulate almost any sound you like. It can do everything you ask for and more.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington

So it can do headphones and play through a speaker? Because I don't have an amp. Are there any cons?
It won't sound top notch but it will handle everything you need and more for a while. Plus you can learn a lot about different effects and amps you may be interested in later on down the road
Quote by TheArmoredBat
GaryBillington

So it can do headphones and play through a speaker? Because I don't have an amp. Are there any cons?

The only cons are that it isn't as flexible to use as Zoom's G3 or G5 and has a few less effects and amp models. With your budget though, you won't afford one of those.

For the budget you've got, the Zoom will do what you want it to. The Amplug won't.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
For $40, I suggest you go amp simulations on the computer. There are a ton of programs out there but I suggest you purchase a $20-$30 Guitar to USB Cable and use Peavey ReValver. Revalver is very user friendly and is a stand alone program. You get a Peavey ValveKing and a tubescreamer pedal for free which should get you going. You can purchase other amp sims/pedals/effects/cabinets a la carte or in bundles.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
awesome, i just got one of the zooms for headphone practice myself, sounds decent enough for the price.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
$40 is a budget for dinner, not an amp. Decent practice amps start around $200 so maybe find a good used DMFX like the Zoom, Pod, Vox Tonelab, and jam away with headphones while washing dishes to earn enough to afford a decent amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
$40 is a budget for dinner, not an amp. Decent practice amps start around $200 so maybe find a good used DMFX like the Zoom, Pod, Vox Tonelab, and jam away with headphones while washing dishes to earn enough to afford a decent amp.
He already did...
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington

The wait is killing me.
Guys, I also have a question about straps. What's a good strap to get under $20?