Saw this on youtube and thought it was pretty cool.

Bruitage is french for "noise making"

*waves flag surrenderingly*

Thoughts?
doors in scifi shows + movies?

paper being taken out of an envelope*

*except in HGTTG which is literally a sigh
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Shield150
I thought it was called foley artists.

It's very possible that foley artist is the correct term for that job. I just litterally translated the title of the video.
Yeah, I've done foley and stuff, also did it during my degree. Can be fun but also a challenge and to get proper work you have to be preeeeetty established otherwise you'll be doing 'sound recordist' stuff for ages.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Yeah, I've done foley and stuff, also did it during my degree. Can be fun but also a challenge and to get proper work you have to be preeeeetty established otherwise you'll be doing 'sound recordist' stuff for ages.

Cool, do you have to bring your own newspapers and cellophane bags or are they supplied by the studio?
Quote by flexiblemile
Cool, do you have to bring your own newspapers and cellophane bags or are they supplied by the studio?

Sound studios usually have prop collections, although you can find your own.
Quote by flexiblemile

Depends on what the deal with the person who's hiring you has done.

Often times, you'll be a guy that does freelance with your own equipment and space for recording. How you make a sound is to your discretion but producers and directors will definitely have a 'vision'. This is what most indie/small films work with, cuz budgets, but you can do a lot with a little in film. With foley, your objective is to emulate real life as much as possible and fill out space with sound appropriately. Door swings, footsteps, heavy breathing, horse cantering etc

This blends into 'hyper-realism' where you can kind of tell that the sounds you're listening to are incredibly 'in your face'. Kind of why when you see The Bourne series, for instance, everything sounds really punchy and bold even if it's something as banal as a jacket flying in the wind.

This is actually different from sound design itself, which can inform foley, but fills out the 'definitely not real' stuff. Atmospheres, ambiance, SFX, large objects doing unreasonable things, etc and can potentially be entirely electronically produced.

Just giving some context, but the usual way things go: Small films or producers will have small budgets so you'll most likely be doing either foley or SFX, but sometimes they'll demand you do both. Big budget films can afford separate studios for each need.

For some context, this is Universal studios' foley room:

whereas most independents will have a tiny studio they own themselves, hire a bigger one or just use something like an attic.

What's interesting about foley is that most people don't immediately get that it's an art form. You gotta be on point, great timing, skill with audio dynamics, a lot like being a musician actually. A lot get into fitness because some sounds can be physically demanding or need lots of weight behind their movements.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Last edited by EpiExplorer at Aug 19, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal
doors in scifi shows + movies?

paper being taken out of an envelope*

*except in HGTTG which is literally a sigh

Isn't Star Wars someone holding one nostril closed and breathing out the other?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

someone tell me what was used to make the classic scooby/shaggy/cartoon scrambling to run away noise.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
When you find a kreeky door you gotta grab that sound. Doors dont just creak on command.