I have been looking for a Les paul simply because that is what will make me happy. I have played MANY Epiphone standards and a Custom Pro or two. Howver, I have a bit more to spend and would like to purchase my first "nice" guitar (I currently use a Dean Vendetta 2.0 and have a cheap BC rich). I play Green Day, Bkink 182, Three Days Grace, and AC DC often through an MG100FX (Yes, I know it is not a great amp, but I aftually like the smooth distortion over tube distortion. I have my preference, you have yours). I have been looking to get out to a guitar center to play an Epiphone Tribute Plus, but my friend said he had one with problems including not staying in tune, back bant neck, and a pickup not wired (!). I then looked at Gibson LP Studio Faded T. guitars. Unfortunately they are harder to find used, and I can't spend $800. Their tuners are often criticized, and I would not be able to pay to have them replaced or feel comfortable replacing them myself. I was wonering, both out of the box and on a used basis, which guitar would be a better buy for the money. Thanks!
I bought an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute about 3 years ago. I own many guitars (see the pic on my profile) and have owned several Gibson Les Paul's over the 40 years I have been playing. I love these Epi Tributes. I loved my Tribute so much that I sold my 1973 Gibson LP which I had owned since 1975 and used the money to buy other guitars and recording equipment. Last month I found another Epi Tribute in mint condition on EBay and won a bid at $465 ($30.00 shipping) and it is again a great guitar.

I have never owned a Gibson Studio but I understand they are pretty nice. I can only comment on how much I love those Epi Tribute guitars. I'm doing two gigs this week and will be using a Tribute on both.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 19, 2016,
You're getting so much more for your money with the Tributes.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Wait on Gibsons until you can afford something over $1000 (new price). I know there are owners who will just go ballistic over their entry-level Gibsons, but honestly, they aren't as good as asian-sourced guitars for the same money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2016,
I'd go with a Tribute plus.

I think you're the first person in the world I have seen describing the MG as having a 'smooth' distortion.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Yeah. While playing I like to switch to the second overdrive channel and turn my gain down. Lately I've been using a Line 6 Pod HD500 which I bought in hopes that it would give me enough stuff to do instead of buying a new guitar (as you see, it didn't ) straight into my power amp. Would you suggest any tube combos or something that I could easily trade or sell my amp for? Not looking to spend much more than mine is worth, but if another $100 will double my tone, I'm all for it. I looked briefly at DSL100H? heads. Or should I just give up on the thing and sell it to a 12 year old who wants a Marshall half stack like I was a few years ago? I presume a DSL40C would have enough power for an alternative rock band.
Also thanks everyone, I am looking for used Tributes now! I'm glad it is the right choice, because it is what I would've done either way
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
guspac88 Get a used tribute, upgrade the wiring (cts, pio caps, 50's wiring, switchcraft stuff) add a decent bridge (the 'tonelock' sucks imho), either abm (brass bridge+tailpiece) or Faber bridge + tailpiece + locking kit (beware: aluminium=4 lovers only). That's what I did to mine, and it was brilliant. I also replaced the lucking tuners by regular grovers (lower than the stock tuners=>better string pull, and I 'lock' strings myself when I restring) and replaced the nut with a bone one. Beast of a guitar then ;-) (I sold that one to upgrade to an Fgn, to which I did the same thing, and that is even more brilliant :p I found the neck on the Epi a bit too thin, that's all)
Quote by guspac88
H4T3BR33D3R Yeah. While playing I like to switch to the second overdrive channel and turn my gain down. Lately I've been using a Line 6 Pod HD500 which I bought in hopes that it would give me enough stuff to do instead of buying a new guitar (as you see, it didn't ) straight into my power amp. Would you suggest any tube combos or something that I could easily trade or sell my amp for? Not looking to spend much more than mine is worth, but if another $100 will double my tone, I'm all for it. I looked briefly at DSL100H? heads. Or should I just give up on the thing and sell it to a 12 year old who wants a Marshall half stack like I was a few years ago? I presume a DSL40C would have enough power for an alternative rock band.

A budget would help but the DSL40c isnt a bad choice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Sorry I wasn't clear. My budget would be whatever my amp is worth. It is a mint hd100fx half stack (275-300?). Assuming I can scrape a few bucks I may be able to come up with another 100-150 USD in the next few months. My main priority is to buy an amp which will not leave me wishing I had another one. I want an amp that can play all sorts of rock reasonably. Obviously I don't expect a loud amp pushing Fender cleans and true Marshall overdrive at such a low price point, but I would like something versatile.

Dunkelheit-164 Thanks for the suggestions! I am not very knowledgeable with working on guitars, but I can figure that type of stuff out with a quick google search. I also really appreciate how you mentioned WHY you sold that tribute. I see how you would feel that way absolutely. I am hoping my smaller hands (No, I'm not 12) would work with the neck size, as they did when I tested the guitar. However I am one of those people who really need to spend weeks with an instrument before deciding whether I really like it. Luckily I have no problem tossing the guitar back on craigslist if I don't: I always look for items I can't lose money on!
guspac88
Well technically, you'll always lose a bit of money when selling... but most of the time you have learned some valuable things in the meantime ;-)
Rewiring may seem a bit scary at first, but swapping the bridge and tailpiece is just a matter of screwing in/out parts.
Even without the mods I mentioned, the Tribute is a really decent guitar, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Modding is probably not the way you want to go when you're on a budget.
But at least now you know what can be improved if necessary.

For the hand size thing, I see why you would want a skinnier neck then.
But I find that neck size is not that big of an issue for playing.
If you play on a bigger neck, you'll adjust after a while.
I haven't been able to play for a while, and had to adjust all over again, so I know what it feels like ;-)
But I prefer bigger necks for stability reasons and resonance.
A bigger neck is less likely to get damaged/warped than a thin one.
With thin necks you can sometimes bend a note by pressing down harder on the neck.
Imagine what that does for tuning stability with temperature changes...

By resonance I mean that a bigger neck will let you feel the notes more when playing.
Or at least that's my experience.

The tribute was my backup guitar when I was playing in a band. (main was the Epi Bonamassa, to which I did the same mods btw)
But when a gig was outside, when it was hot, or cold somewhere in a basement, the tuning would suffer a bit on the Tribute.
The Bonamassa didn't have that problem (huuuge neck).
So I sold the backup guitar, and since then I haven't felt the need for a backup anymore :p
Dunkelheit-164 I sure did learn something. While the amp is sub par, it made me happy when I was young being as tall as my amp. Now I'm ready to get something that isn't terrible. On a side note, what do you think a mint Tribute Plus is worth? $450-500?
Well guys, picked up a Tribute Plus this week and I'm loving it. $400 used on guitar center, one ding on the side that saved me $300. Everything else is mint, black cherry. Thanks for the help in deciding. I love the neck and pickups. I need to raise the action bad, but for now I am having too much fun to even bother. Now to look for a new amp, the cycle never ends!