Hi everyone!

I'd love to get into spanish style guitar playing but I have no clue where to start.

I got hooked by Paco de Lucia and especially by the concert series of him, Al di Meola and John McLaughlin.
The style I am interested in is the style of them. Mediterranean Sundance is one of my favorite instrumentals by now.

I hope somebody can help me.

Cheers!
Paco is, in my opinion, the most technically amazing player in history. So, you're setting the bar a bit high there and there isn't much one can do to learn his material without about 10 years worth of intense practice in that style. . You need to figure out if you want to play fingerstyle or not, which he does and then learn some basics to start - I suggest finding a teacher and running some basic classical or flamenco guitar lessons for at least a few months to get the basics.

If all you're interested in is lead playing in that style with a pick, then I suggest you look at Jesse Cook to get started - he is much more accessible than Paco and still has a great command of various styles. Also check out Rodriguo Y Gabriela - a duo where there lead player uses a pick and solos all the time - both will be much more accessible than Paco or Al and John.
Thank you very much! I checked out the artists you recommended.
I dig them.

Do you know how I can get into the solo guitar stuff with a pick? I.e. without rhythm section just guitar on it's own?
Quote by maxxxkolo
Thank you very much! I checked out the artists you recommended.
I dig them.

Do you know how I can get into the solo guitar stuff with a pick? I.e. without rhythm section just guitar on it's own?

Classical guitar and the classical guitar technique would be the 'typical path' to this end. Lessons are available, there is a huge repertoire at all difficulty levels out there, lots of teachers and online resources, etc. And if you do not care for classical guitar music, there are tons of arrangements of popular stuff for classical guitar.

Here is a list.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=classical+guitar+popular+music

dave

ps. And just to show that a guitar can (kind of) replace an entire marching band

Last edited by DaveLeeNC at Aug 23, 2016,