So I'm trying to swap a Floyd Rose Special with a Schaller Floyd and the base place for the Schaller is just a little too long for the cavity, from the knife edge to the back, so I need to stretch the cavity a bit. Can a rotary tool like a Dremel or something similar get the job done? I'm taking off less than a 1/4" of material off each edge, but I'm worried about the motor burning out on it. It's on a mahogany body if that makes a difference.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Aug 20, 2016,
Yes, jut don't try to rush it.

If you clamp a piece of scrap just back from the edge at the distance you want to open it up to you'll be more accurate as well as less likely to screw up and trash your finish/make things look like shit.

A router and bit of the same size as the router collet (to pilot against the scrap) will do a better job, but a Dremel and some patience will get it done as well.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i am not sure how comfortable i would feel doing that with a dremel. a router is the proper tool, and safer as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've done it before. The results are almost never what you want it to be unless you're ridiculously skilled. A top router is under $100 and the right bit can be bought from stewmac for $16. It's a good investment if you want the work to end up right.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Can't you just buy the correctly sized Floyd instead?

There are so many things that can go wrong with what you're doing.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 20, 2016,
Me, I would go the dremel route.
But when I buy a new tool, I also think about if I would have any other uses for it.
A dremel is a lot more useful overall than a router, although a router is a better tool for the current task.
I build A LOT of stuff, so I always consider that.
Well I bought a Dremel and had it done in all of 5 minutes. I needed to take off like 1/4" of wood off each corner and the Floyd fits perfectly. The only issue I have now is the trem block. Since its 42 mm instead of 37, I can't pull backwards or forwards as much as I used to, but that's not even a big deal.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Last edited by RBM01991 at Aug 20, 2016,
Just buy a new block the correct size. Don't buy any of the FU-Tone blocks since they're vastly overpriced. You can find exactly what you're looking for far more cheaply if you shop around elsewhere and you'll find exactly what you need.

I had the same issue with my Jackson when I replaced the bridge with a Schaller Lockmeister. The 42mm block was so long that it prevented one from putting the floyd back plate on the guitar. Bought a thick brass big block the correct size and it even made the guitar sound warmer.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 21, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just buy a new block the correct size. Don't buy any of the FU-Tone blocks since they're vastly overpriced. You can find exactly what you're looking for far more cheaply if you shop around elsewhere and you'll find exactly what you need.

I had the same issue with my Jackson when I replaced the bridge with a Schaller Lockmeister. The 42mm block was so long that it prevented one from putting the floyd back plate on the guitar. Bought a thick brass big block the correct size and it even made the guitar sound warmer.

I'll just get a new plate...or punch a hole in my existing one, its not worth ripping apart the Floyd and spending money on another block.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Fixing the problem only costs $20.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/floyd-rose-big-block

It seems silly to not get one when punching a hole in the back plate will look shitty and defeat half of the point of having a back plate in the first place.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 22, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Fixing the problem only costs $20.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/floyd-rose-big-block

It seems silly to not get one when punching a hole in the back plate will look shitty and defeat half of the point of having a back plate in the first place.

Oh I don't doubt that its a cheap upgrade, its a matter of pulling the Floyd out and ripping it apart, it doesn't even poke out that much, which is why it doesn't bother me. It's at my guitar tech's getting a set up. I'll do a NGD/build thread when I get it back.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9