So I'm looking to buy a Les Paul style guitar, ideally I would prefer a Gibson Les Paul Custom but I can't justify spending $3000 on a guitar as a poor college student. So I have a couple options. I could buy a Gibson Studio Les Paul, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or an LTD ec-1000T CTM with Dimarzio pickups. As far as value and quality which gives me the most bang for my buck and is closest to what I want?
Well...

1) what do you want?

2) those guitars cost a wide variety of prices, new or used- what's your actual budget, and are you willing to buy used?

3) are you open to other LPclones?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well...

1) what do you want?

2) those guitars cost a wide variety of prices, new or used- what's your actual budget, and are you willing to buy used?

3) are you open to other LPclones?

1) I want a guitar to cover the tonal qualities of bands like Refused, Every Time I Die, Converge, Tool, ETC but also the softer elements like Swans, Brand New, The Smiths. Aesthetically a les paul custom is ideal.

2) $1500 Max

3) Yes

This is a ESP EC-50, Ive never personally played one, basswood body, more of a epiphone body, a little thick but not AS tthin as a epiphone. Good looking guitars, light, I would imagine it being a ESP, it must have some kind of decent pickups.

Epiphone Custom Pros are FUN! everytime I'm in GC I pick one up, there just great guitars, out of all the les pauls the custom pro(white) would do for me. : )

'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Aug 19, 2016,
Hmmm....

That size budget, you've got a WORLD of options, including buying a guitar that looks the way you like and change the pickups. I mention that because I know the bands you list use both HB & P90 equipped guitars...maybe even some singles. Two that spring to mind are the Electra Omega (or the fancier Omega Prime) and the Godin Icon.

http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/guitars
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Godin+icon

But before we continue...what's your amp situation? If your amp isn't up to creating genre-appropriate tones, it won't matter what the guitar is.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm....

That size budget, you've got a WORLD of options, including buying a guitar that looks the way you like and change the pickups. I mention that because I know the bands you list use both HB & P90 equipped guitars...maybe even some singles. Two that spring to mind are the Electra Omega (or the fancier Omega Prime) and the Godin Icon.

http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/guitars
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Godin+icon

But before we continue...what's your amp situation? If your amp isn't up to creating genre-appropriate tones, it won't matter what the guitar is.

I'm either going to buy an Blackstar HT 40 Club or Marshall DSL 40c
Shoot why not try a Axis super sport?! Lol or..

http://www.prestigeguitars.com/heritage-custom-deluxe-mc/

But I agree, start with your amp then work from there, you can have the best guitar money can buy, but with amp that doesn't meet its standards your gonna get your hopes up and possibly be disappointed with the guitar rather than amp. ?
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by PatrickTHolmgre
I'm either going to buy an Blackstar HT 40 Club or Marshall DSL 40c

I have a dsl40c incredible combo amp, and it puts out ALOT i loved the speaker too!! I swapped mine for a creamback 75 and the sound is amazinggggg! GET A DSL!!!!! ? YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!
Marshall DSL40c
The Blackstar should be fine. Don't know that Marshall, but it would probably work, too.

Hagstrom LP clones, like the Swedes, should probably be on your list as well.

i like my studios.

however, i would be a liar to say that they all are.

mine are a little bit older, and i selected them from quite a few different models. if you can play a bunch and chose the one you like, i would go gibson.

if you can't demo them, or the store doesn't have a good return policy, i would be a little iffy on gibson. to be honest i haven't played a gibson LP studio (other than my pair) for quite a while, and don't know how the newer ones compare.

regarding the LTD, i have owned a few and they are nice, but they are very different than the typical gibson. different pickups (that can be changed though), totally different neck, different body dimensions. just different guitars.

i don't like the blackstars. you can get more for your money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by luke.g.henderso
trashedlostfdup, how old are yours? I think I got mine new about 15 years ago.

i don't remember exactly at the moment, but all of my gibsons (five) are from between 2001 and 2009. two SG's two LP's and a V. i think my SG's were 2004? and 2006?, and the V is a 2001?, i am pretty sure the LP's are around 2009, maybe a little bit older, as i bought both at the same shopping trip.

i just retired the first of the pair, and dug out the second one which was unused until a few months ago. they were so damn cheap at the time, i bought two. the one i retired is pretty beaten and needs a refret for sure, as well as a new nut and switch. i will get it done one of these days. all i did to it was throw a 500t in the bridge. whenever i get it back up and running, i am going to throw a HB sized P90 in there. probably a railhammer one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I remember I was looking at an Epiphone, I forget the model, and someone suggested the US Studio. It was a couple of hundred more, but better in pretty much every way that's important.
1500 bones can get you a lot of nice guitars. Honestly, if you're patient you can probably even find a nice older Gibson LP Standard or a Traditional for around that price (+/- 200 or so). Locally I have seen Gibson LP standards go as low as 1600 CAD (which is something dumb like 1250 USD) so if you really want a Gibson and you don't want to bust the bank, that's what I would recommend. Are you in a populated area and do they have classifieds for musical instruments? I would suggest checking around. If you're looking for more of an LPC look then Gibson was doing the Classic Custom and the a few Customs from certain years are much cheaper due to feature discrepancies and lack of appeal etc...

If you don't want to wait and you want a 'Les Paul' as in something that actually looks and plays like one then I suggest you start checking out MIJ guitars. MIJ guitars can be pretty stellar and they for sure look and sound the part. Ideally I would prefer to be able to keep it local and try things out first but it's just another option for you in case that is something you want to look into. Anyway, here are a few guitars that might work:

Burny RLC-60:

Tokai LC-132S

Edwards E-LP-98LTC (My personal one actually!):

If you don't want to get anything overseas then Epiphones are decent and you can pick them up used for pretty cheap.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by PatrickTHolmgre
So I'm looking to buy a Les Paul style guitar, ideally I would prefer a Gibson Les Paul Custom but I can't justify spending $3000 on a guitar as a poor college student.

You didn't tell us where you are, which makes a difference.

Here in the US, an Agile AL-3200 comes with an ebony fretboard, real MOP or Abalone inlays, jumbo frets, 14" radius fretboard, multi-layer binding on headstock and body, single layer binding on the fretboard, neck-through construction, a Gibson Axcess-style carved neck heel (this should be on ALL LPs, a tummy cut, and solid (not cheesed or chambered) body construction. In other words, it's a step up from a standard Custom (I have four Gibson Customs, so I know whereof I speak ), but runs about $499 (add more for case and delivery).

Here's the back of an AL-3200:

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 22, 2016,
For close to $1500US, you can buy a real Eclipse, why look at the LTDs? Then again, they aren't Gibsons. So expect the ESP to be pretty much perfect out of the box

H4T3BR33D3R, where in the Great White North are you seeing Standards for that? As soon as the CAD fell, everyone seemed to adjust used prices locally higher
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
For close to $1500US, you can buy a real Eclipse, why look at the LTDs? Then again, they aren't Gibsons. So expect the ESP to be pretty much perfect out of the box

H4T3BR33D3R, where in the Great White North are you seeing Standards for that? As soon as the CAD fell, everyone seemed to adjust used prices locally higher

I live in Ontario and I literally see LPs going for that almost bi-weekly. I mean it fluctuates a bit but lately those are the prices I've seen on LP Trads and older Standards. If I had jumped the gun a bit earlier I would've had an '07 LP Standard with a 50s neck and duncans for 1650. It was gone in a couple of hours so I ended up building up a husk instead. Was kind of pissed

I mean newer ones and the HP models people are asking for around 3k but if you don't absolutely need a brand new one then you can get great deals.

I mean it fluctuates. This week they aren't super cheap but I still found a decent few for under 2k.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/ottawa/gibson-les-paul-classic/1188504616?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/ottawa/gibson-2011-les-paul-traditional-desert-burst/1191591093?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And if they're still up next week I bet they'll be down to 1600-1700

Here are a few more in Ontario for under 1700:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/gibson-usa-les-paul-classic/1191116967?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/mississauga-peel-region/gibson-les-paul-standard/1190266925?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Aug 20, 2016,
You may find a used LP Standard for $1,500, definitely an LP Traditional. If you like the LP, I would go that route. ESP or LTD play different, come with super jumbo frets and sound different than an LP. Therefore, if you want a more traditional LP at a lower cost, you can try some of the MIJ brands listed above. Another option is a Prestige Heritage Standard from prestigeguitars.com. Played one last year and for $900, were very good guitars.

Ultimately, if you love the LP, I would find a good used Standard.
if u want used find a ltd ec 256, 300, 400 or new grab a agile al.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The best LP copy I've ever played was in a guitar shop in the early 90's. A used MIJ Fernandes super grade LP. It was also better than most genuine LP's I've ever played. It was only $300au back then and I didn't have the money on me at the time. By time I came back later that day to get it, it was gone. Always regretted letting that one get away. Since then I've bumped into a couple of people who've owned them and they were amazing as well. Don't know what their availability is in your neck of the woods, but if you see one I'd recommend giving it a test drive.
$1500 can get you a used LP Custom if you search hard enough.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
o a search for yamaha SG's, they were called SBG's in the US. So SBG1000 SBG2000 and SBG500. The 500 only has dot inlays and an unadorned headstock but is otherwise the closest in construction to a Gibson LP. Same size, same timber, same neck joint, same scale length, yada yada. The 1000 and the 2000 have the bridge mounted in a brass "tone block" and fancier inlays and whatnot.
I have the 500 which I dropped a Seymour duncan JB/Jazz. It sounds just like a Gibson Les Paul running JB/Jazz pups.
So search for SG500, SG1000 and SG2000 as well.
They are a different body shape though. People seem to love or hate Yammy SG's. I loved them from back when Carlos Santana played them. Take a look.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification