Thinking about getting a Les Paul junior, Looking for opinions in what would sound good, its a slab of thin mahogany, single pickup, simple. Been thinking about a pickup with a bit more mid bass with more mids than anything, I have experience with 3 pickups(SD JB & 59', Dimarzio Tone zone) anything beyond that I'm not that familiar with. Not looking for anything extremely heavy when it comes to overdrive, I like the JB but maybe its me but after I play a chord about 5 times or more I can hear a "wah" or a high almost like steel guitar sound, idk. I was thinking about the Invader. If anybody has time Id be willing to listen to all options! thanks!
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
P90 of some kind? HB-sized, if the body is routed that way.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Nothing quite so "in-your-face" as a LP Jr. with a good P90. Mine sounds awesome!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Consensus seems to be forming...

For further clarity, what are you planning on playing on said axe?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I would use it for fast riffs, nothing in the high notes, something related to fast action type rock, more like Pennywise, not the sound but the overall fast action 4-5 chords, ya know I've never really looked into the p90s, lol. I'd be using it more for palm muting, so id really like to have that crunch, I'm trying something new because my studio its starting to take an effect where its uncomfortable for me at times, not so much the weight but I guess strumming, I find myself playing my Stratocaster more an more and enjoying it, id figure a thinner body would help and just experimenting from there
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
P90s- even some of the earlier versions- have been used for metal and punk, so they can definitely deliver crunch. And nowadays, winders are making hotter versions, just like they do with HBs. In the hotter HB-sized P90 realm, we have options like the Bareknuckle Pickups Supermassive, Stockholm & 'Pig90. Railhammer has the Billy Corgan Humcutter and the Huevos 90.

Which reminds me: the LP Jr you're looking at- is it routed for HBs? If it actually takes P90s, BKP makes standard P90-sized versions of those I mentioned above.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 20, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
P90s- even some of the earlier versions- have been used for metal and punk, so they can definitely deliver crunch. And nowadays, winders are making hotter versions, just like they do with HBs. In the hotter HB-sized P90 realm, we have options like the Bareknuckle Pickups Supermassive, Stockholm & 'Pig90. Railhammer has the Billy Corgan Humcutter and the Huevos 90.

Which reminds me: the LP Jr you're looking at- is it routed for HBs? If it actually takes P90s, BKP makes standard P90-sized versions of those I mentioned above.

Yes the one in looking at is a humbucker, not a soapbar., thanks for the advice! Ill check em out! Great so theres more than one p90 lol which would be the one that would suit my needs, in your opinion?
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Aug 20, 2016,
Check out BKP's website for sound clips of theirs. All 3 of those I mentioned can deliver plenty of aggression. Look on the lower right side for the clips.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s⊂=humbucker_sized_p90s&pickup=supermassive_hsp90

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s⊂=humbucker_sized_p90s&pickup=stockholm

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s⊂=humbucker_sized_p90s&pickup=pig_hsp90

As for the Railhammers, I posted these clips for Cathbard recently when he was shopping for pickups again.

Billy C. & Joe N. talking about and playing the new Reverend BC sig and the Railhammers designed to go in it:

Here's Ken Haas presenting it at Wildwood:

And here's a demo from a guy at Matt's Music Center I think shows a bit more of their range:

Here's the Huevos 90 in action:

(Side note: Cath, you worked out your Railhammer gremlins yet?)

Quote by Cathbard

...which would have been my next suggestion.

I helped Cathbard find those a couple years ago, and he's been singing their praises since.

Since they're actually 2 of Rio Grande's singlecoil-sized P90s in a HB housing, you could opt to have a splitting control, and thus have a "secret weapon" on your otherwise simple LP Jr.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 20, 2016,
I'm waiting on parts.

Another maker of good humbucker sized P90's is Vintage Vibe. I have a pair of their 7 string HB sized P90's and they are quite possibly the best pickups that I have. They come with extra magnets that are very easy to swap. I got Alnico V and ceramic magnets. I'm running the Alnico V in the bridge and ceramic in the neck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've heard the sweeter tones out of the VVs- and they ARE excellent- but not how they sound dirty. Got any clips?

I don't actually. I may knock up something later if I get time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dannyalcatraz
P90s- even some of the earlier versions- have been used for metal and punk, so they can definitely deliver crunch. And nowadays, winders are making hotter versions, just like they do with HBs. .

I'm not a fan of overwound P90's -- they get noisy fast, and lord help you if there's anything offering a bit of electronic interference nearby (neon sign, etc.).
Besides, I think you lose a lot of P90 characteristics when they get overwound; you might as well have a 'bucker on there in the first place. My personal opinion is that winders are making hotter versions just so they can say they've got another product for sale, not a better one. I've got noiseless P90's from Kinman, and those are pretty much the best on the market (IMHO) and really retain vintage P90 sound, but they're pricey and I haven't looked to see if he's got an HB-size yet.

I'd stay away from the Invader. I'm SO not a fan. I do have a couple of Suhr Aldrich (humbucker) bridge pickups now, and they work very well indeed.

I considered an LP Jr for a while, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I ended up with a 2-pickup version (special) in the end. And the double cutaway thick-bodied version at that. Used, it came with a pair of brilliant handwounds from a guy in Vancouver, Mike Reilander:

Sorry Ive gotten back so late, wow the bareknuckle P90s don't mess around!!!! seriously! they seem pretty extreme, not in a bad way, ill keep them an option but ill keep looking, been thinking but please by all means keep with the opinons!! ))
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2