Never seen such a consensus dislike for a product. Is there a quality/longevity issue? My instructor had one around 2008, 12" 75w with the digital display. Using it for its intended purpose (modeling), playing with backing tracks, I thought it kicked ass. Easily scroll through and find whatever band/songs sound and play right along.

It's not going to gig, give you than warm fuzzy tube feeling, or let you develop your own tone; but that's not what it's for. For a bedroom player I feel like I could do a lot worse for the price, but I've been out of the loop for several years. Is there something I'm missing?
Tube amps just sound better. Life's too short so why not get the best sounding product you can afford?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I would rather have an amp that gives me my tone(s) well, than a whole bunch of other people's tones badly. Then, if I want to experiment with different tones for recording, I will use software so I can play around with it without having to rerecord the track.
Quote by guitarkid8
Never seen such a consensus dislike for a product. Is there a quality/longevity issue? My instructor had one around 2008, 12" 75w with the digital display. Using it for its intended purpose (modeling), playing with backing tracks, I thought it kicked ass. Easily scroll through and find whatever band/songs sound and play right along.

It's not going to gig, give you than warm fuzzy tube feeling, or let you develop your own tone; but that's not what it's for. For a bedroom player I feel like I could do a lot worse for the price, but I've been out of the loop for several years. Is there something I'm missing?

well for starters what you described isn't the intended purpose you certainly don't need 75 watts to lay to backing tracks in your bedroom. don't want the warm fuzzy tube feeling? well most of us do.don't want to develop your own tone , c'mon really. the spyder just doesn't sound that good at band volumes which is a big part of the problem. the fact that often noob players have eh insane channel turned up to 10 at Guitar Center doesn't help either. to sit around the house sure it's not bad but there are better options. Line 6 hasn't updated those amps in several years so they lag behind the competition. we know they can do better as their POD series is well regarded.
Quote by guitarkid8

The Spider series gets a lot of hate because:

-Considering what you are getting (a mediocre amp) you could probably find something better in the price range.

-Other companies are doing modelling amps now and a lot of them are sounding better than the Spider so they aren't even the only modelling company in town anymore.

-I can buy a 20 dollar 1/4 to USB cable, plug it into my computer and get better sounds and still play/record over backing tracks if that's my intention.

Other problems people tend to have with them is once you start turning the volume up, the high end gets almost unbearably shrill and (through the stock cab anyway) kind of muddy through the low end (which is impressive in itself LOL). Some people are fine with them and some people like them. I personally don't and I've owned Spiders from itty-bitty combos to a full blown Spider Valve.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Something weird about the Spider. I have used them quite a bit in the backline and have been universally disappointed. They sound pretty cool for about 10 minutes and then start to hurt my ears. After about 1 hour I want to throw it out the window. You could do a lot better for the same $$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
So for $200 USD, what can we find that is as versatile, with better tone?
Last edited by guitarkid8 at Aug 20, 2016,
Roland Cube series, Fender Super Champ/Vibro Champ XD, Vox Valvetronix all sound way better to my ears. Also the Jet City if you need more gain on tap. Shop used and you can stretch your $$ value even further.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Super-Champ-XD-15W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112361213.gc?pfm=sp

The Spider certainly has lots of bells and whistles which is why they sell so many. If this is your primary motivation for buying a guitar amp, maybe you need to own one. If I had to describe my trouble with their tone it is probably something to do with unnatural note tails and decay. As the notes fall off they get weird and this wears on me over time. I am sure someone like John Mayer or Robben Ford could probably get decent tone from a Spider. I have just never seen or heard anyone who did.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 20, 2016,
Quote by guitarkid8

the Line 6 you mentioned is fine for what your doing , my brother inlaw has a 75 watt version and it's fine with the backing tracks or with out

... also the lead guitar in our band used a Line 6 150 watt Bogner spyder valve that was a hybrid , sounded fine
Quote by guitarkid8

What's your definition of versatile? Any amp that has a good clean sound and takes pedals well is versatile.
You could get a Blackstar HT-1 combo for $250 or less, or a Vox AV-15 under $230. There are Fenders, I would even consider a Bugera small combo. I'm not sure if you can use the Orange Micro Terror / Micro Dark or the Peavey 6505 Piranha heads with earphones and no cab, but the 8" cabs wouldn't take you that much over $200. The Hotone Purple Wind mini stack is under $150. There's even the option of an all-tube Vox for $200, which has a tiny speaker, but can drive an external cabinet if you need it to.