Im very into metallica, and want a guitar thats explorer styled. The LTD ex 50 is cool, but I deeply prefer the Gibson shape. Wieghts not a problem for me, as I usually play while sitting down anyways. I would like 22 or 24 frets. The body should be basswood or mohogony and same for the neck, but rosewood or ebony for the fretboard. I have been looking into the dean ZX but thats it so far. I would prefer to buy used and my budgets like 300-325.
Quote by steamingsoupbeg
Im very into metallica, and want a guitar thats explorer styled. The LTD ex 50 is cool, but I deeply prefer the Gibson shape. Wieghts not a problem for me, as I usually play while sitting down anyways. I would like 22 or 24 frets. The body should be basswood or mohogony and same for the neck, but rosewood or ebony for the fretboard. I have been looking into the dean ZX but thats it so far. I would prefer to buy used and my budgets like 300-325.

you might be able to find a used Epiphone Explorer for that price. why cheap out on a guitar so you can put different pickups in it? by the way basswood isn't strong enough for necks so you won't find one that has one.
only one?

What about getting a used Epiphone 84 Explorer?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by steamingsoupbeg
those sell for a bit over my budget

I can't find a 1 pickup epi explorer not sure what you are talking about. the 84 goes for about $100 more and the 58 Gothic goes for just a little over your budget. skip the new pickups for now and get a better guitar.
Start looking for a Jackson KE3 Kelly. They are made in Japan and very solid guitar for the money.

Guitar Center used has a few in budget with a case.

Some mid 2000s years came stock with the Duncan Designed Detonators which are imported Invaders.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Get this or the Jackson and you can probably leave the PUs alone.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Explorer-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112379561.gc?pfm=sp
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 20, 2016,
invaders as far as explorers go, i would go with a used Epi. forgo the pickups you want until a later date, that should leave room in your budget for a better guitar.

check reverb (dot com) guitar center's used website, and craigslist. between those places, you will likely find what you really want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by steamingsoupbeg
Im very into metallica.

Then you probably don't want Invaders...
I second the Jackson KE3 suggestion. Mine had the Detonators as mentioned, and tbh they weren't great. Muddy, feedback, just not a great tone. Swapped them out for a JB/Jazz set which was a huge improvement; I think it gets closer to Metallica tones than it did before. Plus it looks dang cool IMO. Could be because I'm a huge Marty Friedman fan...

I'm not trying to be ugly by asking this, but I don't think you've said yet: have you played a guitar that had an Invader?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Yes but only a few songs. It was a synyster gates one at a music shop.
Quote by BCKRedBaron
I second the Jackson KE3 suggestion. Mine had the Detonators as mentioned, and tbh they weren't great. Muddy, feedback, just not a great tone. Swapped them out for a JB/Jazz set which was a huge improvement; I think it gets closer to Metallica tones than it did before. Plus it looks dang cool IMO. Could be because I'm a huge Marty Friedman fan...

I'm not trying to be ugly by asking this, but I don't think you've said yet: have you played a guitar that had an Invader?
look for a dean mustaine angel of deth 2, those seem to be pretty solid for the price. korean made.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I think I've decided on getting an Angel of Deth 2. Its not set in stone; I might change my mind, but I like the looks of it and the mahogony body. To the guys that have mentioned kellys, I really dislike the shape of it
Deans really aren't that good. I've never been impressed with any of the Deans I've tried and I think their habit of putting dumb graphics all over their guitars is really distasteful.

I'd still consider getting the Epiphone 84 Explorer.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by steamingsoupbeg
Hetfild used invaders on the first three albums.

And huge expensive amps and great microphones. And tons of mixing. If you want to recreate the sound of Metallica's early albums in your practice space, I wouldn't rely on the Invaders, regardless of if he used them. I just don't think you'll find what you're looking for.
i wouldn't touch a dean for that price. nor would i buy a dean, period. but that is just me. i had a friend who used to practically collect them, i have never impressed at any price point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I own 2 Deans, one cheap, one high-end.

The cheaper one- a Special Select EVO- was @$500 when I bought it back in 2003 or so. It holds tune with a death grip. it feels good in the hands. It's one flaw is that the pickups are not as good as comparably priced LPclones from other metal-centric guitar makers. It is slated for a pickup upgrade because of that.

Much as I like it and it's pricier cousin, I would NOT buy a cheap Dean. Other companies deliver better products under $500.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm going to agree with the others I have a Dean that originally listed for I think $999 it is a great guitar mahogany body set mahogany neck the fretwork and neck/head binding is great guitar plays well also, but cheap Deans are not worth the money there are other manufacturers selling better product in the same price range, putting the graphics on the cheap Dean's IMO is a marketing tool to attract aspiring begginer metal guitarists.

Same with low end B.C. Rich you are not likely to find a truly decent B.C. Rich or Dean for less than $1000
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Or you might just go into a store, test out all the 'metal-looking' guitars and end up coming out with a fucking strat like I did LMAO
The deans he is talking about are all mahogany with set necks. I'm sure he could do much worse.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
The deans he is talking about are all mahogany with set necks. I'm sure he could do much worse.

With some difficulty, but I *suppose* he could.
Doesn't take much to get a mahogany guitar with a set neck these days.