Curious as to what everyone's choice of Muff is. I went with the Bass Big Muff, because I wanted lots of bottom end for Stoner Rock stuff (and my girlfriend is a bassist, so she gets to borrow it), but I'm tempted to buy/ build another one. I love Cherub Rock, so I might build an IC Muff clone.

I've seen a couple of demo videos of the JHS Muffuletta, and I think that looks awesome. It seems easier to use than the modern Deluxe Big Muff too. So I would say that's on my "would like to own" list.

How about the rest of you?
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Aug 20, 2016,
Some to consider ( I own several of these)

- Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi

- Mccaffrey Audio GREEN VODKA- based on Russian Muffs

- ARC Effects Big Green- based on Russian Muffs

- Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian- based on Russian Muffs

- Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan- based on one of the Muffs

- Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest- "The Black Forest takes a celebrated circuit and drags it through the dirt. More gain, more fatness."

- Black Arts Toneworks LSTR- "LSTR is from the same BMP family, but unlike the Pharaoh, which is dialed back a little, LSTR is the action!" BMP probably means Big Muff Pi.

- Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh- "The Pharaoh pedal, while its roots and DNA are classic fuzz, has a few twists." Probably based on the Big Muff Pi (see the LSTR, above).

- Black Arts Toneworks Sarcophagus- Pharaoh & LSTR combo

- Black Arts Toneworks Coven- Pharaoh & Black Forest combo

- Earthquaker Devices Hoof Reaper- combination of their Hoof (Green Russian Si/Ge Muff) and Tone Reaper (another Si/Ge hybrid) fuzz pedals + octave up
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 20, 2016,
Skreddy pedals makes a couple that are good. So do Stomp Under Foot, blackout effectors, Wren and Cuff and Earthquaker devices. They are all pretty good brands and make good fuzzes. Muff's are one of the most popular circuit types - there are a lot of similar pedals out there.

I'm a fan of modding stock big muff's though - they have a nice big case and plenty of mods are readily available online. The BYOC muff is pretty good too.

It really depends on what kind of muff you want. Frusciantes muff tone is nothing like Gilmour's for instance...

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=3389 - provides reviews of big muff's and clones, but is generally aimed for Gilmourish tones. Still a good resource.
http://kitrae.net/music/big_muff_historyB.html - provides information on the different big muff's out there and the tone differences between them

I'd probably look at the russian models or similar clones as they generally have more low end which is probably good for the stoner sound.
RIP Gooze

cats
I forgot one of my faves, the ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud, now renamed the Fallout Cloud (because of a C&D letter from EHX):

https://thorpyfx.com/collections/thorpyfx-pedals/products/the-fallout-cloud-fuzz
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Cheers guys. I love the Gilmourish page, and Kit Rae's page was the one I used to pick the Bass Big Muff. My preference seems to be for Civil War/ Green/ Black Sovtek sounds, as well as the IC Muff.
I've considered several of the pedals mentioned, and also looked at Fredric Effects- they seem to do regular auctions as well as sell Buy It Now on eBay. I may well buy a pcb from someone like BYOC or Pedal Parts UK and build an IC Muff that I can play around with before I solder it. I did try making the circuit on breadboard, but I ran out of patience with that.

I'm really curious to see which Muffs people liked enough to spend their cash on though, and what made them pick those models.
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Aug 21, 2016,
I've had a Musket (civil war clone); a bit bright for my taste and not as much output as I expected. I've had a Mojo colossus (russian clone), but it was a bit too dry for my taste.

I've had the current NYC version, Tone wicker, and Nano from EHX. Decent, just not tweakable enough for my liking (ie mids). The latter two sound a bit darker than the regular version from what I remember.

Currently have a, Earthquaker Devices hoof, kind of want something with more low end, it's a bit squishy and sharp as I turn the shift (mids) knob. I think I'm gonna pick up an OP amp clone with more knobs, the Black Arts ToneWork Crown of horn has a mids knob so I think I'll take a flyer on it soon, maybe the Cloven Hoof as well.

I had a Swollen Pickle and I wish I hadn't sold it for space issues, it could get very muffy.
Also wouldn't mind some stuff from Earthbound Audio, the Super Colliders (regular or 71 version) look cool.

Big Tone music brewery have various versions (Rams, triangle) with a full 3 band EQ, Stomp under foot and Wren and Cuff (Op amp, russian, civil war, etc) as well.

Maxon's water fuzz is based on a ram's head with parametric EQ.
Catalina has the Manx Loghtan, muff with seperate bass/treble controls.
I love Muffs, always a great topic.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 21, 2016,
The current Deluxe BMP tempts me with its mid boost, but generally I prefer a pedal to do one or two things really well, so that might be overkill for a muff lead tone. That kind of contradicts my interest in the Muffuletta though, although that I would see myself using to fiddle with the different models until I picked one or two I would use the most.

The Bass BM I picked for fuzzy stoner rock rhythm tones, but I'm thinking about the IC/ op-amp style muff for something a little tighter and brighter.
I have always wanted a Russian muff. I still do.

I remember buying a NYC big muff instead(murica) and have regretted it ever since. Never found the sound I wanted out of it.
Op Amps, top of my head: Wren and cuff Eye see pie, Stomp under foot Pumpkin Pie, Black arts tone work crown of horns, el musico loco siamese scream.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I had an NYC Muff, and I liked it but it wasn't much use for being heard. I sold it, meant to buy a DopeFX Earth Dweller but ended up getting a Swollen Pickle instead. Takes a bit of dialling in but it now does exactly what I was after in the first place.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by nickdohle
I have always wanted a Russian muff. I still do.

No, even the Russian girls are waxing these days.
I played around with another guitarist's pickle once. It was quite daunting at first, but after some fiddling, I got what I wanted out of it.

Seriously though, that pedal does seem like s box of greatness.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
I'm really curious to see which Muffs people liked enough to spend their cash on though, and what made them pick those models.

I brought a couple of used NYC ones and modded them. I added a toggle that adds a bunch of mids [this really helps for leads, and is more in line with the Gilmour style tone]. Besides that they have some component changes to be more in line with triangle/rams heads models and one has a bass boost/cut toggle.
If you've got the skill and patience, it's not a bad way to go.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Big_Muff_Mods_and_Tweaks_Page.html
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by luke.g.henderso
I played around with another guitarist's pickle once.
Ahh, we've all been there. But yeah, it's the best Muff I've tried, at least. With my Tubescreamer it can pretty comfortably get into metal territory, while being totally happy as a Muff when you want it to be a Muff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Speak for yourself. I have NEVER touched another guitarist's Pickle.

Or Muff, FWIW.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Or Muff, FWIW.
Well you can afford your own to play with
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22

when i was fuzz hunting for muffs, i was looking at the vicks rams head, EQD hoof amd BKE musket fuzz. i don't own any of them though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Or Muff, FWIW.

YOLO. It's rock and roll, man, experiment ;-)
Quote by dannyalcatraz

- Mccaffrey Audio GREEN VODKA- based on Russian Muffs

I have one of his prototypes. Used to live in the same town as him.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Which prototype? I have 2 pedals of his on my G.A.S. list...

ARC Effects Shepherd- a higher-gain version of the Violet Ram's Head muff.
http://arc-effects.com/shepherd/

i have an Akai DR-3 which combines a vintage style fuzz (oddly enough not based on a fuzzface) and a Muff style fuzz. does the big muff really well and can be combined with the other fuzz sound for some pretty crazy sounds.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Which prototype? I have 2 pedals of his on my G.A.S. list...

It was one of his early green muff clones that he added would would become the Beef switch to. So I have one of the pedals that inspired the Green Vodka. It's in a gigantic enclosure and doesn't mix with the band at all, but it does sound like a wall of huge angry bees with an opera singer behind it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER