I need a guitar for hard rock and classic rock playing.

not sure what to get. my friend says stratocaster is good and he has one

what do you guys think? if there is a guitar that is good for hard rock and is not a strat or tele, tell me about it

thx guys
Both. Try em and decide. I play Classic Rock, Blues, Latin, Jazz, R&B and my #1 is a Tele. #2 is a Strat.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's a pretty big guitar world out there. Teles, strats and LPs ruled the world in 1955, but it's 60 years since then!
Quote by fazetaco1337
I need a guitar for hard rock and classic rock playing.

not sure what to get. my friend says stratocaster is good and he has one

what do you guys think? if there is a guitar that is good for hard rock and is not a strat or tele, tell me about it

thx guys

As was recently implied, there's a big, bad world o' guitars out there. Some look a lot like Strats or Teles, but far from all.* Many would fit your somewhat vague bill. Fill in the picture for us- budget? Location? New? Used? Online shopping?

Oh yeah...what's your amp?

Also...is there a particular reason why you don't want a Strat or Tele? Don't be shy- there's no wrong answer,

* including LPs, 355s, Vs and designs you've never seen.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 21, 2016,
Anything with a set of humbuckers or single coils can work for that depending on what kind of sound you're actually going for. A Strat or a Tele works very well, as would a LP or SG or 335, or Flying V, etc... If I were playing in a band, my band I would primarily use a SSS Strat (technically my G&L Legacy) with a HH Strat for heavier stuff. Or an HHH, given that you can get single coil sized humbuckers now. I like the Hot Rails in my Squier. Especially since someone else took the hit on putting them in. But that is me, and I'm a Strat guy in my spleen (the spleen gets no credit).

As far as how well it works for you, a lot of that is just what you get used to.

I play primarily Strats myself, and can't hardly see myself playing anything. A guy I play with regular has been playing since the 1960's (and has one heck of a collection of vintage guitars, that's he bought long before they were vintage), and he says he can't hardly play a Strat, it feels like he's fighting the guitar. His main two guitars are a 335 he bought in '68, and a Les Paul Gold Top he bought in '64 (IIRC). He also has another 335 he bought in '72, and a newer 90's LP he bought because his Gold Top is worth far more than his car at this point. He also has an old Strat, as well as a newer Tele that he's grown fond of.

He's just so used to the 335 and LP, that his Strat and Tele make him work harder. He plays just about anything that can have a guitar in it; his band with his girlfriend is a Jazz band, he's part of a Blues band, and we often do rock or R&B when we're playing at church. He also does session work, which can have him playing almost everything.

My advice would be to drag a guitar-playing friend along, and have them check out any guitar you're interested in, as well as amps. Find one you like and are comfortable with, let him vet it for quality (at least as good as you can get at a store) and then budget for a setup for the guitar. Most of the time they'll need it. I can count on one finger the number of times I didn't need to make some adjustments on mine.
dannyalcatraz I'm using a Marshall MG30FX. it's my dad's and we cant really afford a new amp along with the guitar.

I personally want to get a Telecaster because of the warm tone and feel. I prefer Telecaster over Strat, so I was debating which to buy.
azrael4h I have a friend who owns a Strat, so I will try out his too. I don't really want to go for Les Paul, since it's out my price range, and I'm counting more on Squiers instead of more costly guitars
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 21, 2016,
just depends on which you prefer more

gibsons with humbuckers or p90s would also work (or minihums i guess)

if you want to stick to the classics

as dspellman said, you don't necessarily have to do that. again it just depends on which you prefer.

i realise that's zero help
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been playing classic rock since long before it was called classic rock...pretty much since the day the Beatles did their 1st Ed Sullivan Show in 64.

I've played every guitar style you can think of except Firebird and Flying V, they all work, including guitars like the Byrdland Ted Nugent used and the big hollow body George Thorogood plays. (Don't know the model) Brian Setzer played a big body hollow body too.

SO...whatever you want can and will work, just depends on what you're comfortable with. I started on a no name japanese solid body with one pickup in the middle position, then a Mosrite double neck with Humbuckers. I lean toward a strat as an overall cover anything guitar. If you like a tele better, go for that. I'm currently playing the Squier Strat in my avatar, a Peavey Patriot that's a strat body with telecaster pickup configuration, a Cort CL 1500 holow body with 2 humbuckers and a 1966 Harmony Bobkat single humbucker in middle position.

Basically any guitar you want will do fine, whatever suits you best. Go to a music store or three and try a few, see what feels best in your hands.

My views on the various types...GIbson SG tends to be neck heavy, double necks too. The balance is off so the neck wants to drop toward the floor if you let it go. My Cort has the same problem. Gibson Les Pauls seem to mostly have fat necks, hurts my left hand in about 15 minutes. I've seen some copies with nice necks though. Yamaha made a SG 2000 in the late 70's, beats the pants off any Les Paul I ever picked up. To be fair, a few older Les Pauls do have nice necks, but I could never afford them. Strats have a nice neck usually, if you're picky some of the Squiers are excellent guitars. Mine is one I'll never, ever let go. Wider range of pickup selections available, and contrary to what a lot of people think, I use mine with a distortion pedal all night when we play onstage, it works quote well. Just watch how you set the pedal...Telecaster sometimes tends to be a bit neck heavy but not as bad as SG or double neck, the metal bridge plate gives it good sustain but a brighter sound. Necks are usually very nice.

Hollow body...I love a hollow body but some have a sound you have to develop a feel for.

Always when you try out a guitar, play it unplugged first. It should sound good, not dull and lifeless. If it does, plug it in, if not, put it back on the rack and move on. Even with dead strings, you should still be able to hear a decent sound. My Cort had dead, rusty strings, I played it for 30 seconds unplugged and knew I wanted it. Then had to play it for 20 minutes to make sure my left hand could handle the neck. Cleaned up and a new set of strings, I've never regretted it. Once you listen to a dozen unplugged guitars you should have an idea what that means, especially if you check at a few pawn shops. Some guitars are just dull and lifeless unplugged, those will never sound great plugged in either. Others sound good, have good sustain, and feel good in your hands. Those are the ones to plug in and listen to. The Peavey Patriot just felt great the instant I picked it up. Heavy, solid feel. I listened to it 30 seconds and knew I wanted it, didn't even have to plug it in but still did. I love that guitar, it's another one I'll never let go. If you find one, definitely play it. Slimmest and fastest neck I've ever played. I like maple necks better than rosewood, play both.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
You'd have to define hard rock, but that sounds like you'd want something with a bridge humbucker.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by fazetaco1337
azrael4h I have a friend who owns a Strat, so I will try out his too. I don't really want to go for Les Paul, since it's out my price range, and I'm counting more on Squiers instead of more costly guitars

Virtually every guitar style on the market has expensive versions and inexpensive clones.
A Les Paul type guitar won't be out of your price range if you're looking at Squiers.
If you're looking at Squiers, I'd recommend the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified ranges as your starting point. There's passable stuff for less, but those are the instruments that'd make you glad you bought a Squier. As Danny suggested, G&L also do great alternatives within the general Fender aesthetic. If you want a Les Paul or SG, brands like Epiphone, Vintage or Agile are worth looking at.

Otherwise, yeah, lots of alternatives that don't necessarily follow in either vein.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 21, 2016,