Hello all, I made a thread on this months ago when I wasn't quite serious about getting a new guitar. But now I am and have a bigger budget. I know I could just find a used JS1200 for $900-$1000 if I looked hard, but unfortunately my budget caps at about $800. Besides, it is a signature model and those are bound to be overpriced, even used. So my first question is it possible to get everything I want out of a guitar in terms of Joe Satriani for a cheaper price than his signatures? Here are the things I'm looking for:

• $600-$800
  • 22 or 24 frets
  • ***good locking tremolo system***
  • Good all around sound from clean to distorted
  • Humbucking pickup atleast in bridge

I am only interested in purchasing a used guitar. I am from the Minneapolis area if that matters. Thank you, I appreciate any advice.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Last edited by 457undead at Aug 21, 2016,
The Godin Velocity was discontinued @5 years ago, but it was a damn good shredder's HSS Stratclone. There typically under $500 the's days.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Godin/Velocity-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112281548.gc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
ibanez prestige rg or s

that's going to get you, most likely, closest to the ibanez thing without paying the signature model premium.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lower model Ibanez Prestige or an older 540R/540S?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
You can do Joe Satch stuff on a LOT of guitars, and there's nothing all that special about the JS1200.
In fact, if I were improving on the Ibanez production version (for me), I'd probably go for a 24-fret neck, neck-through construction with a smooth neck heel, an ebony fretboard, jumbo frets. I'd be fine with a good OFR (though I like the Ibanez versions). And there are a TON of guitars that fill that bill as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
ibanez prestige rg or s

that's going to get you, most likely, closest to the ibanez thing without paying the signature model premium.
Quote by DarthV
Lower model Ibanez Prestige or an older 540R/540S?

Should I look at the RG or S version? Are the considered good guitars?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
either should work, it just depends on which you prefer really. i haven't tried the newer edge zero trem, i wonder if the original edge, lo pro edge or edge pro might work better?

and yeah the japanese-made prestiges are normally good guitars, yeah. just watch out, for a year or two there there were some korean-made prestiges in the s and sz series (i think), they're not just as sought-after (rightly or wrongly, I haven't tried them). The japanese-made ones normally say made in japan on the back of the headstock, and the serial number starts with an "F".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's a youtube channel called Andertons Music Co that has a vid on get a Satch sound, check it out it gets pretty close
Les Paul Studio 2014
Cube 40GX
Soon to be expanded hopefully
Which model number should I be looking for with the prestige series? Also would it be worth buying this JS1000 instead of a prestige? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibanez/JS1000-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Electric-Guitar-112384270.gc
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
I prefer the AANJ over the square heel on the JS series. But nothing wrong with the JS1000, if that's what you want. Have no idea how GC rates their used gear. Is good, really good or just means it hasn't been beat to hell and back? :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
either should work, it just depends on which you prefer really. i haven't tried the newer edge zero trem, i wonder if the original edge, lo pro edge or edge pro might work better?

and yeah the japanese-made prestiges are normally good guitars, yeah. just watch out, for a year or two there there were some korean-made prestiges in the s and sz series (i think), they're not just as sought-after (rightly or wrongly, I haven't tried them). The japanese-made ones normally say made in japan on the back of the headstock, and the serial number starts with an "F".

Hey Dave I decided on the RG series since I'm used to playing a strat and am happy with that body type. The only problem is that I cannot figure out what the best deal I could find with my budget in the $800 give or take range? I also know that the older prestige are the best pre-2000 so I have been trying to look out for those as well. The main issue is trying to decide what model to get. What guitars look good out of this list on GC? If nothing looks good could you point me in the right direction? Thanks. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?Ntt=ibanez%20prestige%20rg&Ns=r#pageName=used-page&N=1076&Ntt=ibanez%20prestige%20rg&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&Ns=pHL&postalCode=55401&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Idk if some of those guitars are the best for the money tbh
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
All the ibanez prestige models are good guitars. The differences are in the bridge type, pickups and neck type. Pretty much all of them have some variation of the Wizard neck. From what i know, they are all very similar, so if you like one wizard, you will probably like them all. The floating bridges are usually some type of the Edge bridge. Stay away from anything with the Edge III bridge, but the lo-pro, pro, or the original edge are pretty god trems. I dunno about edge zero, since its a relatively new design. As for the pickups, they are what they are, if you can get one with brand name pickups like diMarzio, its probably gonna be better than one with the generic ibanez V pickups. They arent bad, but they arent great as well.

So it kinda comes down to your prefrence of neck, bridge and pickup types.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by 457undead
Hey Dave I decided on the RG series since I'm used to playing a strat and am happy with that body type. The only problem is that I cannot figure out what the best deal I could find with my budget in the $800 give or take range? I also know that the older prestige are the best pre-2000 so I have been trying to look out for those as well. The main issue is trying to decide what model to get. What guitars look good out of this list on GC? If nothing looks good could you point me in the right direction? Thanks. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?Ntt=ibanez%20prestige%20rg&Ns=r#pageName=used-page&N=1076&Ntt=ibanez%20prestige%20rg&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&Ns=pHL&postalCode=55401&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

problem is i only started playing in 2000, and i haven't actually tried all that many. there may be something to the idea that the older ones are better, but then you also have to remember that the older the thing is, the less good condition it might be in.

also bear in mind that prestiges haven't been going all that long. IIRC in 2003 they started making all the japanese-made ones prestige- before that, for example, the rg550 wasn't called a prestige but was effectively the same thing as a post-2003 1550. i'm a bit hazy about earlier than that, but there may well have been a time when there were no prestiges at all.

regarding the model numbers, 3xxx are the highest, 2xxx are the next and 1xxx are the lowest. the actual quality of the guitars is probably fairly similar, but the 1xxx have the ibanez (mediocre) pickups, the 2xxx have the dimarzio/ibz pickups and the 3xxx (apart from a few years where they also had the dimarzio/ibz pickups too) normally have the "real" dimarzios. Now, the dimarzio/ibz pickups are "real "dimarzios too, and if you like them they're fine, but they're ceramic and a lot of players seem to prefer the tone zone/air norton combo which tends to be fitted to the 3xxx series. http://www.dimarzio.com/faq#55/60/7581

the 1xxx and 2xxx are normally basswood bodies, while the 3xxx is normally mahogany with a maple top.

if there's a z at the end of the model number that means the edge zero bridge i think. you can pretty easily tell the edge from the edge zero, they look pretty different, so i'd do that rather than rely on the model number, especially with a used guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 22, 2016,
Some of these have already been mentioned but here are my recommendations for guitars, but I'm also going to make a few additional recommendations on gear giving you some options to think about. It's fairly important to know what kind of amp you have, if you have any effects etc. So I'm just going to recommend an entire Rig and see if we can get you around the $800 range for the whole thing. The first list will be based on an $800 budget for guitar only though.

- Used Ibanez RG Prestige model, any of the hum/hum models will do, honestly. You can find older ones with cosmetic damage for $500-$800 fairly easily but it requires you to do some hunting. Things you'll want to look for is if there is any corrosion in the input jack (sign that it has been in too much humidity potentially) and if there are any chips or cracks in the fretboard, or the neck, or if any of the frets in the fretboard seem like they are being 'pushed' out of the board. If you see some cracks at the neck joint (on the body) these are probably just cracks in the finish, extremely common over time and nothing to worry about.

- Used mid-80s Kramer Pacer, (hum/hum config of course). Man you can find some deals here, some people don't even know what they have, but you can find USA Kramer Pacer's in good condition outside of the cosmetic damage for $400-$600 bucks.

- Used 1990-1995 Jackson (Dinky, Soloist or Fusion Pro). This is a bit trickier, but you want to see if you can find a MIJ Jackson from this era, there are a bunch kicking around honestly and they can be had for the $400-600 range. The build quality on these guitars is unbelievable and if you drop your additional $200-400 of spare cash after your purchase into a professional set-up/refurbishment you'll have a guitar at the quality of todays standard $3000 guitar.

Those are my top three guitar recommendations for your budget. But check this out!!!

Ok, so here's an idea for a whole rig:

You need a tube amp. That's seriously step #1. Tubes make the magic happen, especially when driven and this will go a long way to achieving a satch sound. They can also make a cheap guitar sound like a million bucks with the right player.

-Epiphone Valve Jr. 5 watt head (NOT modded) w/ 1x12 cab. You can find absolute steals on this, like, $250 bucks. I picked up a head for $100 bucks and the cab for $150 and that's CAD.
- VOX Satchurator. This is a signature distortion pedal that satch made with VOX, it actually gives you pretty much the entire catalogue of his Tone. Incredibly versatile, includes two channels on the pedal, the normal 'on' setting and then a 'more' switch which basically dimes your gain. If your gain is already dimed on the pedal the more switch adds more harmonics to the signal, bad ass. This might set you back $150-250 bucks. If you can't find a VOX Satchurator then look for a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.
-Used Yamaha Pacifica PAC611HFM/PAC311H - you can find steals on these used and they play and sound absolutely fantastic. Sure it doesn't look satch, but this is a quality guitar that is extremely versatile and well built. Also, they're pretty darn new, so you can find used ones on the cheap that have barely been played. Combine that with your satchurator and the valve jr and you can get a great satch sound (sans floating tremolo and delay...) pretty quick for $800 bucks.

Cheers
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by 457undead
Should I look at the RG or S version? Are the considered good guitars?

I have a 1993 S540 that's in great condition, plays great. Also have a _number_ of Prestiges.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=ibanez%20prestige

I'd check out the rg3570z, rg2550e and the 540 Radius!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
I have a 1993 S540 that's in great condition, plays great. Also have a _number_ of Prestiges.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=ibanez%20prestige

I'd check out the rg3570z, rg2550e and the 540 Radius!

I was looking at that 540 radius from your link, mainly because the 2550 is 120 miles away and the rg3570z has titanium rods or something in the neck. One thing that discouraged me from that 540 radius is the "floyd rose trem block". What even is that? Is it bad that its there because i would like to be able to go up and down in pitch with the trem. Also id like to have solid tuning and wouldnt removing it make the tuning always bad? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5632434029.html

Either way i really like that body shape. Is it worth what he is asking?

Edit: Why is this guitar cheaper compared to the RGs? Is it worse in quality?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at Aug 22, 2016,
Quote by 457undead
One thing that discouraged me from that 540 radius is the "floyd rose trem block". What even is that? Is it bad that its there because i would like to be able to go up and down in pitch with the trem. Also id like to have solid tuning and wouldnt removing it make the tuning always bad?

It looks like it would be easy to remove. And why do you think removing it would make the tuning always bad? You may need to do a set up, but after that it should hold the tuning just like a Floyd Rose does.

the rg3570z has titanium rods or something in the neck

What are you talking about?

The back of the headstock has allen keys attached to it (if those are the "titanium rods" you are talking about). Those are for opening the locking nut and I guess for adjusting the bridge or truss rod. I don't see this as a reason not to buy the guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Have no idea what the used market is like there, but that does seem a little high. The trem block can easily be removed if you want to go full floating (which you will want to do for satch!). It is a 23 year old guitar, that probably has something to do with being cheaper than the RGs.

Honestly, the titanium rod in the 3570z isn't going to make any difference. Ibanez 3-5 piece prestige necks are very stable. To get the great feel with the 3570zz, you'll want to disable the ZPS unit, otherwise it's quite stiff.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by MaggaraMarine

The back of the headstock has allen keys attached to it (if those are the "titanium rods" you are talking about). Those are for opening the locking nut and I guess for adjusting the bridge or truss rod. I don't see this as a reason not to buy the guitar.

In 2010, the rg3570z's started having a titanium TKS reinforcement rod (s??) in the neck.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by JS_StarOcean
Some of these have already been mentioned but here are my recommendations for guitars, but I'm also going to make a few additional recommendations on gear giving you some options to think about. It's fairly important to know what kind of amp you have, if you have any effects etc. So I'm just going to recommend an entire Rig and see if we can get you around the $800 range for the whole thing. The first list will be based on an $800 budget for guitar only though.

- Used Ibanez RG Prestige model, any of the hum/hum models will do, honestly. You can find older ones with cosmetic damage for $500-$800 fairly easily but it requires you to do some hunting. Things you'll want to look for is if there is any corrosion in the input jack (sign that it has been in too much humidity potentially) and if there are any chips or cracks in the fretboard, or the neck, or if any of the frets in the fretboard seem like they are being 'pushed' out of the board. If you see some cracks at the neck joint (on the body) these are probably just cracks in the finish, extremely common over time and nothing to worry about.

- Used mid-80s Kramer Pacer, (hum/hum config of course). Man you can find some deals here, some people don't even know what they have, but you can find USA Kramer Pacer's in good condition outside of the cosmetic damage for $400-$600 bucks.

- Used 1990-1995 Jackson (Dinky, Soloist or Fusion Pro). This is a bit trickier, but you want to see if you can find a MIJ Jackson from this era, there are a bunch kicking around honestly and they can be had for the $400-600 range. The build quality on these guitars is unbelievable and if you drop your additional $200-400 of spare cash after your purchase into a professional set-up/refurbishment you'll have a guitar at the quality of todays standard $3000 guitar.

Those are my top three guitar recommendations for your budget. But check this out!!!

Ok, so here's an idea for a whole rig:

You need a tube amp. That's seriously step #1. Tubes make the magic happen, especially when driven and this will go a long way to achieving a satch sound. They can also make a cheap guitar sound like a million bucks with the right player.

-Epiphone Valve Jr. 5 watt head (NOT modded) w/ 1x12 cab. You can find absolute steals on this, like, $250 bucks. I picked up a head for $100 bucks and the cab for $150 and that's CAD.
- VOX Satchurator. This is a signature distortion pedal that satch made with VOX, it actually gives you pretty much the entire catalogue of his Tone. Incredibly versatile, includes two channels on the pedal, the normal 'on' setting and then a 'more' switch which basically dimes your gain. If your gain is already dimed on the pedal the more switch adds more harmonics to the signal, bad ass. This might set you back $150-250 bucks. If you can't find a VOX Satchurator then look for a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.
-Used Yamaha Pacifica PAC611HFM/PAC311H - you can find steals on these used and they play and sound absolutely fantastic. Sure it doesn't look satch, but this is a quality guitar that is extremely versatile and well built. Also, they're pretty darn new, so you can find used ones on the cheap that have barely been played. Combine that with your satchurator and the valve jr and you can get a great satch sound (sans floating tremolo and delay...) pretty quick for $800 bucks.

Cheers

while most of your suggestions are solid the Kramer Pacer may not be the best for Joe. although it has a real Floyd they are set to push down only and sit kinda high off the body (by todays standards). the US made ones are pretty hard to find now as well. had one when they first came out.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibanez/Prestige-RG3120TW-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
This RG3120TW looks nice and is $100 under my budget, not sure if it comes with a case or not but this seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

There's also the RG3550MZ and the 3570Z. The 3550MZ is a bit cheaper and I can get it for $800. Is this a better deal than the 3570z?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibanez/RG3550MZ-Prestige-Series-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112082437.gc

Also I'm selling my tube amp right now to a friend and buying one in the $400-500 range so I'm not sure about that yet.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
^ it's kind of hard to say, because with any used gear it depends on what condition it's in, and it's pretty hard to tell that without havign it in your hand.

assuming (big assumption!) the conditions are the same, i don't think there's much difference between the 3550z and 3570z

the 3120 looks cool but it seems to have a lo-pro edge which means pre-2003- as i said above, older may be better but it also is older, so might not be in as good condition etc. It's really your call.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The ibanes Iron Label series are awesome guitars. RGs have emgs though, so maybe not quite what youre lookig for clean-tone wise, but the S-models have passives and theyre really sweet instruments
Quote by DarthV
In 2010, the rg3570z's started having a titanium TKS reinforcement rod (s??) in the neck.

Well, ignore what I said then. But why would that be a reason not to buy a guitar?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Well, ignore what I said then. But why would that be a reason not to buy a guitar?

I saw a thread on a different website here talking about why some people don't particularly like the titanium rods here: http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst83675_What-s-bad-about-the-RG3570z.aspx

That's why I brought up the rod thing
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
I saw a thread on a different website here talking about why some people don't particularly like the titanium rods here: http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst83675_What-s-bad-about-the-RG3570z.aspx

That's why I brought up the rod thing

Don't have any experience with the KTS, my 3570z was from the first year.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs