What are some of your favorite metal guitar tones? It's probably best to go by album but if you want to go bands in general that's cool. I like a lot of fizzy, buzzy solid state + Boss pedal sounds. A few of my favorites in no special order. There probably isn't anything too surprising and it's a lot of the usual suspects.

Horn - Naturkraft
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Falkenbach - ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri...
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Though I know it's mostly production knob sorcery - the guitar tone on Morbid Angel's Covenant and was beautifully recreated on Worlds Beyond the Veil by Mithras.

I think the best Hm2 tone was on Dismember's Like an Everflowing Stream.

And I think the guitar tone on Loveless destroys like everything else
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
The tone on every Exodus record that has come out since 2004, for starters. IMO, the tone on Exhibit B is the GOAT.
Also, the tone on Heathen's Evolution of Chaos, Primal Fear's Delivering the Black and Rulebreaker, Accept's Blood of the Nations, Carcass' Surgical Steel, and an honorary mention to Iconoclast by Symphony X.

I love really tight, smooth, crunchy tones.
I agree with the Dismember thing since I just recently heard that album in its entirety (for the first time I have to admit)

Hour of 13 - s/t
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Kreator - Enemy of God
Testament - The New Order....actually Testament tone in general is amazing....apart from a a couple of albums
Carcass - Heartwork & Necroticism (I'm usually not too much into the lowest tuned stuff but this is kick-ass)
Asphyx - Crush the Cenotaph & Last One on Earth
Obituary - Cause of Death - fuzz, slower and heavier than most things!
Last edited by elatihc at Aug 21, 2016,
All the different tones on Akercocke's Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone are really good imo
Say what you want about the songwriting, but In Flames' The Jester Race/Whoracle have some of the best guitar tones I've ever heard. Same with At the Gates' SOTS.

A few more of my personal favs:

--Entombed -- Left Hand Path
--Lunar Aurora -- Zyklus and Andacht (very different from each other, but both are magical)
--Enslaved -- Blodhemn
Opeth -- My Arms, Your Hearse
Decapitated -- The Winds of Creation
Blut Aus Nord -- Ultima Thulee; Dialogue With the Stars (quite different from each other, but both awesome)
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Some albums that stand out are Cryptopsy's None so Vile, Infester's To the Depths...of Degradation, and Dragged Into Sunlight's Hatred for Mankind

The really chunky tone I'm a fan of. The only tone I really hate is anything having to do with raw black metal. Some examples get a pass because I like the artist, e.g, Ildjarn.

like was mentioned, I'm not exactly against the cleaned up production of Akercocke's Words that Go Unspoken either. I use them as a counter-example when people say things like "well because it aint recorded in a bedroom it MUST BE SHIT!" logic.
^They made you a mod?! Whose D did you have to S?

Celtic Frost - the EPs and To Mega Therion
Slayer-Hell Awaits
Profanatica-Profanatitas de Domonatia
Beherit-Engram

As a generalization, a generic guitar run through a JCM800. You probably don't need anything further to play metal. Maybe an HM-2 if you want to "shred the gnar" like those chainsaw swedish DM guys from the early 90's.
Well, it was more like other people were sucking dick and I was just hanging around watching then someone said, "hey you could be mod" and I said sure

now people can S my D you feel me?

-----------------------------------------

Have you been listening to much metal as of late beadhanger? Lots of good stuff these days.
I actually took an insane left turn into old-school synthpop/new wave/Italian stuff (Giorgio Moroder, Jan Hammer, Goblin, Tears for Fears, blah blah). I still spin the classics but have been somewhat out of the loop as far as recent developments. I got into Sorcier Des Glaces earlier this year, top-notch black metal band for sure. I might sift through recent forum posts here to see if something catches my eye.
Dammit. Now I run the risk of ban if I call Severed a hoser for liking the Somberlain over Far Away from the Sun.

As for guitar tone - how about that beefy tone that Timeghoul used? Heavy af fam, gets my dick out like a gorilla just got shot
HESSIAN HAREM
lol, no need to worry it's no risk if you want to say that.

It's a guarantee I'll ban you.

also dig that tone too. A lot of the OSDM tones are killer, notably guys like Timeghoul, Purtenance and Morpheus Descends.
Somberlain guitar tone > Far Away From the Sun tone

Fight me irl ya hoser
HESSIAN HAREM
I'm more of a total package person. The production as a whole. Never been a gear head or guitar nerd, so maybe that contributes to my listening habits.

I will say that Nåstrond's Akhkharu, Neuntoter and a few others off Toteslaut have a lead tone that I can't replicate in person or really figure out how to replicate it in my head in general.

In det som en gang var, when the main motif is played on the higher registers and is on top of the whole mix? That simple tone is taken to magical places.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I was going to say, the tone on Filosofem was pretty great. It had such oomph too it and carried that feeling of oozing evil
HESSIAN HAREM
Wulkanaz - Paúrpura Fræovíbôkôs
Minimal distortion + rough playing results in a sound that is evocative of a living dark forest

Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
HM-2 sound used in ways alien to life metal shitheads. Never draws attention to itself but creeps up like a serpent in the murk

Godflesh - Streetcleaner
Thin guitar sound complementing thick bass; like steel grinding against steel amidst the mechanized wasteland

Tones that would amount to shit outside of their respective works
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Aug 28, 2016,
Quote by The Wildchild
Wulkanaz - Paúrpura Fræovíbôkôs
Minimal distortion + rough playing results in a sound that is evocative of a living dark forest

https://wulkanaz.bandcamp.com/releases

This has got me pretty excited
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Wulkanaz is interesting. The music is primal, and the sound is unique, the twang of his guitar and force behind his movements create raw, disfigured sounding music. Like every strum is hacking.
I always loved the guitar tone on Cobalt's Eater of Birds.

Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Aug 28, 2016,
I really prefer the old school analog sound, if it has a super clean sterile production usually I pass right over it these days.

man that bass tone... and the guitar isn't half fucking bad either

I know very similar to Cirith Ungol but these guys still do it "the old way" and I really enjoy that Marshally goodness

If any of you guys ever want to cruise through the desert and eat shrooms with me this would be the album we should listen to.

Call me a traditionalist or whatever but it really doesn't get any better than this in my book.
Last edited by Falsehammer at Sep 3, 2016,
Hey what's going on progbass this is BL1NDSIDE-J the mods wouldn't unban my original acct but they let me come back under a different name provided I play nice so here I am.
Last edited by Falsehammer at Sep 3, 2016,
I loved the lead tone that Scald had from the day I heard it. 4:40
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Falsehammer
Hey what's going on progbass this is BL1NDSIDE-J the mods wouldn't unban my original acct but they let me come back under a different name provided I play nice so here I am.

And here I was about to say how that Falsehammer seems like a promising new poster welcome back man.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

True facts, welcome back bro.

Also Loveless is still better than 99% of metal albums
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass

Also Loveless is still better than 99% of metal albums

This is the honest truth
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by progbass
True facts, welcome back bro.

Quote by Kytokinesis
And here I was about to say how that Falsehammer seems like a promising new poster welcome back man.

Thanks!
Down's album "NOLA" is wayyyy up there on my list.
Electric Wizard's album "Dopethrone"
Sleep's "Dopesmoker" is pretty fantastic too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

LOVE the tone on this album. Especially for this track. Sounds like hearing a Marshall stack being played across that giant pillar-filled room where the Fellowship encounters the Balrog.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Cool thread! Lots of good tones here. Some of my favorites in no particular order:
Megadeth: Rust in Peace
Revenant: Prophecies of a Dying World
Turbid North: Orogeny
Dream Theater: Awake and Train of Thought
Poison Headache (very similar to High on Fire tones IMO)
Gojira: From Mars to Sirius and L'Enfant Sauvage
Deceptionist: Initializing Irreversible Process
Obscura: Omnivium
Mastodon's entire catalog
And I'm probably going to get destroyed for this b/c it probably belongs in a different forum but...
Killswitch Engage: End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Sep 23, 2016,

Always tickled me. Bands like Monarch! usually have fancy tones but the first time I heard this it was just the right distance between filthy and smooth.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 23, 2016,
Matt Pike in Sleep
Greg Anderson in Goatsnake
Mikael Akerfeldt/Fredrik Akesson in Opeth
Arve Isdal in Enslaved
Devin Townsend in DTP/DTB
Adam Jones in Tool
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
I'm not huge into black metal but this is the thing I prefer for tone

and yes, Opeth clean as well as lead tones are fantastic (or used to be in the past)
I'd love to have this guitar tone. Once it kicks in, it really blows shit away.

Here's another example:

Last edited by Deciphered at Oct 17, 2016,