Hello internet,
may you be able to give me some insights !

I've owned a gibson sg 61 reissue for a few years, but I feel I'm not completely satisfied with the sound I get from it.
It is awesome for playing slide (I'm a huge fan of Derek Trucks, Blake Mills and Ry Cooder), so this guitar actually lives in open E, 10-46 strings.

But I feel the sound is somewhat muddy, particularly when I'm playing conventionally, barré chords are not well defined and I also avoid playing it with a pick. I've never liked using pedals with this guitar because I think it's too high gain, it just doesn't work. I own a stratocaster too, and I miss some of that grittiness and openness. I think I might be yearning to some extent for the sound Blake Mills gets from his coodercaster, yet I don't really like slide on fender.

I've redone the electronics, getting higher values CTS pots and new caps. I managed to make it brighter, especially on neck pickup, but it still lacks something. I played with the pickups' height, even tried removing pole pieces. I'm now experimenting playing through a homemade compressor (byoc 5 knobs with super useful attack and tone controls) and so far I like it.

I watched John Mayer sometimes playing gibsons like it's fender on youtube, so maybe there is something to do with gear and pedals.
I play through a super champ xd, deluxe reverb or blues jr, bass low and treble pretty high.

Maybe I'm looking for a sound my gibson is not able to produce.
What do you think ?
there are definitely things you can do. you could get 4 conductor pickups and wire them for coil splits or maybe parallel operation, that'd lower the output and make it sound a bit more fender. or you could change the pickups to something a bit more fendery, maybe alnico rod humbuckers (e.g. duncan stag mags), but i haven't tried pickups like that.

or for less money you could just roll your volume down a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An SG with HB PUs will always sound thicker and more textured than the bell tones of a Fender with SC PUs by design. Different tools with different voices. One thing you can experiment with is turning up your amp and rolling off the volume on the guitar. That is how Robben Ford cleans up the tone on his HB guitars. Another option is to try an SG with P90s. They still have bite and gain but a lot more clarity than HBs.

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 21, 2016,
i would try for a humbucker sized P90 in there. that would change things quite a bit.

or as dave said, coil taps might get you there too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you are contemplating a pickup swap, might I suggest a HB in the bridge and a P90* in the neck. There's an increasing number of axes hitting the market with that setup over the past 5-6 years, and I've tried this array myself. It has a nice tonal flexibility and ballsyness to it. See Rio Grande, RailHammer, Vintage Vibe, The Creamery, Lollar and BareKnuckle.

Another idea might be to go with HBs that are brighter by design, like TV Jones Classics & Classic Plus, PowerTron & PowerTron Plus, or SuperTrons.

Lace Alumitones are also much cleaner than most passive HBs.

* in the case of modifying your SG, a HB-sized P90.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 22, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Another idea might be to go with HBs that are brighter by design, like TV Jones Classics & Classic Plus, PowerTron & PowerTron Plus, or SuperTrons.

yeah that's a good idea, dunno why i didn't think of that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cajundaddy

that was awesome maybe tgp does know something, after all

didn't he have minihums there, though? that'd help a little with the brightness thing i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cajundaddy

Hm. All that on an Epiphine. Imagine if he'd used a better brand of guitar.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!