Hello! So, I'm trying to find the distance between frets. ik it's different depending on the guitar. But I heard that the distance between the frets get x0.944 bigger from the first fret. So, I was wondering if this information is true. If anyone can help me out that would be great!
Last edited by govermentisilluminati at Aug 21, 2016,
Quote by govermentisilluminati
Hello! So, I'm trying to find the distance between frets. ik it's different depending on the guitar. But I heard that the distance between the frets get x0.944 bigger from the first fret. So, I was wondering if this information is true. If anyone can help me out that would be great!

There are several formulae for the centerpoints of a series of frets. Rather than calculate it, however, there are several online calculators that will give you the correct distances for any given scale. Google "fret spacing calculators"

Here's one from StewMac: https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html

Most of these calculators use the Rule of 18 (the number actually used is 17.817) or another formula:

dist(x) = s / (2 ^ (x/12) )

where:

x = number of the fret being evaluated
dist(x) = distance from bridge at the bottom end of the guitar to fret x on the neck
s = resting string length (distance from the zero fret “nut” at the top of the guitar to the bridge at the bottom of the guitar)
12 = the number of frets per octave that occurs on every Guitar.

There are actually a couple of other, slightly more obscure formulas that have been suggested from time to time, but the above two are the most used.