Hey guys,

I recently bought my new overdrive pedal, the Love Pedal Kalamazoo Gold. I love the Sound of it since its such a 'smooth' overdrive and it goes well with most types of music.

The problem i'm having now is that i need a pedal to boost my solo's. I bought the MXR Micro Amp because it sounded pretty solid when i tried it in the store together with my Kalamazoo, but now i find it very lacking. I need a pedal that gives me that extra sloppy gain for solo's and the MXR Micro Amp is simply boosting my Kalamazoo, which is a good Sound, but simply not what Im looking for.

I play on a Fender Stratocaster with a Fender Blues Deluxe Amp. I mostly play Blues and Rock.

I hope you guys can give me some suggestions.
by extra sloppy gain do you mean compression and mids? if so, something in the tubescreamer (there are tons of cheaper clones) or boss sd1 camp would probably be the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going to throw a curveball in here but mainly because you mentioned you play a strat. The Fulltone Fatboost FB-3 is a great pedal to pair with single coil axe's. Cranking the drive on this and playing with your low-end and high-end EQ on the pedal can really make a strat lead sound HUGE. What's also nice is it really doesn't color your tone that much either, it will maintain the characteristics of the other pedals you pair with it as well. I'd say it's worth a try, I've found it to be one of the most versatile pedals I own, anywhere in the signal chain (effects loop or front of the amp). I essentially have it as an always on pedal, but it can also be very good for a solo boost to give you that next level hugeness for your leads. It's also a very, very, quiet pedal.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I'd suggest a Tubescreamer (Ibanez or Maxon), an Archer IKON, or the EQD Arrows, or Black Eye Boost will get the job done. If all you need is volume (and youre on a budget) get a Boss BD-2 or a GE-7 and just use it as a volume boost. Tom Morello used the GE-7 as a boost for years. (+20db for about $40)
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Where in the chain is your Micro amp? Is the amp dirty as well while you have your OD on? How high do you have the Micro amp set? Because those types of pedals give about 20db of gain on average, and (assuming you're going for distortion boost, not volume) that's plenty.

Personally I use a Duncan 805 (ie a more tweakable tube screamer) because I can dial the EQ to my liking as well gain, but the amount of boost available wouldn't be too vastly different in the level knobs, unless you really want to mud up the tone and use both an overdrive's level and gain.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 22, 2016,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I'd suggest a Tubescreamer (Ibanez or Maxon), an Archer IKON, or the EQD Arrows, or Black Eye Boost will get the job done. If all you need is volume (and youre on a budget) get a Boss BD-2 or a GE-7 and just use it as a volume boost. Tom Morello used the GE-7 as a boost for years. (+20db for about $40)

I'm going to second this recommendation actually as well, The GE-7 is a great EQ pedal and Jonny is right, you can use it as a boost as much as a way to shape your tone, or as the final polish in your FX loop. EQ pedals are so powerful it's awesome. The one thing I'll note about the GE-7 is that it doesn't pair nicely with every amp, it's definitely worth shooting out with a few others to see what works best for you. I'd give a few a shot, some I've found that are generally really great are the BOSS GE-7 (I use it, seems to work best with my gear), the MXR 10-band EQ M108, or the Empress Para EQ if you really want to spend some dough, but I also find it is a much more difficult pedal to dial in, although obviously more powerful than the other two and double the price.

Both the BOSS GE-7 and MXR M108 are gloriously quiet pedals as well.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
a clean boost like Exotic should do the trick. the suggestion on using a EQ pedal with a volume control on it is also an option. guess what you ae experiencing is the down side of using a clean amp with pedals. personally I like to have the amp set to be a little dirty for my rhythm sound and then use the overdrive for leads. I also have an overdrive with a built in boost that can be used separately as well (T-Rex Crunchy Frog)
The Boss BD-2 is often used used a boost, because it isn't mid-heavy, as the TS types are. My two favourites for OD are the Digitech Bad Monkey for a smooth sound and a Boss SD-1 for a rougher edgy asymmetric clipping sound. I have all three and each has its place for light OD, depending on what you want.

It has been said that the BM affects tone in bypass mode. I did some tests, flicking between true bypass and bypass mode with a passive (true) bypass pedal, and couldn't detect any such effect.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 22, 2016,
I was going to recommend tc electronic spark mini because it's so small and powerful, but it is only a clean boost, so I recommend checking out the full sized spark.

Has a fat(bassier) boost, a clean boost, or a mids boost and it sounds nice as an OD pedal on its own.
I agree that a clean boost would do the trick but he's already got a Micro Amp and says it's not working. It's basically the same concept, stick in front of your main gain signal and blast the hell out of it. This is why I was asking where he was putting it in his chain.

No on the Boss GE-7 specifically, they tend to be noisy in my experience.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I agree that a clean boost would do the trick but he's already got a Micro Amp and says it's not working. It's basically the same concept, stick in front of your main gain signal and blast the hell out of it. This is why I was asking where he was putting it in his chain.

No on the Boss GE-7 specifically, they tend to be noisy in my experience.

the micro amp is a fairly old design and not really all that transparent. I think something like the Exotic clean boost might work better for him. the OP wasn't very specific on whether he need a different sound for leads or not so that info might help.
I agree it's not the most transparent of boosts but he says he wants "sloppy boost". Just because it isn't transparent doesn't mean its not noticeable, it has more than enough gain on tap to slopp up the sound.

I still want to know where he's putting the Micro Amp, and if his amp's dirty when he's using the overdrive or if he's running it into a clean channel.