It's October 2010. I'm 14, soon to be 15. I have returned back home after a miserable year in France where I felt the lowest I had ever felt. After two breakdowns it was now time to recover. I was excited to have a fresh start. A new home, a new look, a newfound respect for what I had thought I'd lost. I was ready to start feeling alive again.

The nights draw in early just the way I like them. The nights are crisp cold, but it's the type of cold that keeps the blood circulating rather than create discomfort. I had just discovered Spotify, skinny jeans and black hair dye. It's funny. Normally you'd associate the emo aesthetic with feeling down, but I was feeling amazing. I just liked the visual aesthetics and music of the subculture. I had discovered an up and coming Youtuber who would upload videos of himself playing a game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent. He was some blonde Swedish guy who would call himself Pewdiepie.

School had gone from being one of my biggest fears in life in France to something I looked forward to back home. You'd be surprised how much can change in just a year when you're a young teenager. I found myself mingling with just about everyone. Everyone was friends. It was crazy to think playing RuneScape was suddenly considered the cool thing to do because the cool kids were playing it, I'd always thought it was something to hide. Modern Warfare 2 had come out too. So many lobbies of quick/no scoping with friends. School work was so easy. Girls were open to talk to you because you were friends with the right people. And they were growing up faster than us.

October 2010 to February 2011 were probably the most truly content 5 months of my life. Of course the magic and excitement faded.

What is your story?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I don't have any. My teens were miserable and I want those years back.

when i was 12 we went to switzerland if that can count as a stand-in
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
My teen years were fucking shit, I spent the majority of them getting bullied by my brother and other people at school, ended up hating school, had a near meltdown in year 12 etc etc.

When I look back at who I was when I was a teenager, I actively cringe.

EDIT: Actually, my time in the Army cadets (from 12-19) was pretty sweet, have a lot of good memories from that.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Aug 22, 2016,
Quote by i_lovemetallica
My teen years were fucking shit, I spent the majority of them getting bullied by my brother and other people at school, ended up hating school, had a near meltdown in year 12 etc etc.

When I look back at who I was when I was a teenager, I actively cringe.

EDIT: Actually, my time in the Army cadets (from 12-19) was pretty sweet, have a lot of good memories from that.

Really glad you had somewhere like the cadets to get away from the bullying at home and school. Bad enough when it's bullying in a school environment, most of the time kids can get some escapism once they're home, but to have it at home too must have been really shitty.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Eh, it's only in recent years I've sorta realised my brother treated me like crap a fair bit. Wasn't physical, but he's always been a nitpicky bastard. But yeah, the cadets was pretty awesome, it was the first time I broke out and did my own thing instead of copying what my brother did, which is what my parents always seemed to want me to do (even though I don't think they realised it)
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
08 - 10 were incredible years (16-18 years old then)

summer holidays were amazing, so carefree, no doubts, just went out every day to hang out outside with my mates

house parties, my first kiss, staying out late getting drunk, staying out late not getting drunk, all incredible experiences and definitely overall some of the best years of my life

just feels so good not to have to worry about anything

yeah sure i was cringey but i was happy
My teens were pretty cool actually, obviously I got bullied lots but I accepted that reality fairly early on and just sorta did my thing.

Best period was probably 16-17. I was really into racing slot cars as a hobby (what a loser right?) and ended up getting a job at the shop I raced at. There were two other guys my age that raced there and we basically became best buddies and all ended up racing there. The boss was an absolutely dickhead but a fair dickhead who taught me a fair bit about life that my dad hadn't, and I got to work with my hobby and fund it with a 10% discount. After work on a Saturday any two of the three of us would be working, the third would show up just before close and we'd head into town, grab a KFC, see a film and then spend the rest of the night at an internet cafe playing CoD over LAN.

Like I said, it wasn't cool at all but it was the most enjoyable time of my young years that got cut suddenly short by moving back to the UK.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

yeah sure i was cringey but i was happy

Yeah this.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Aug 22, 2016,
EndTheRapture51

What happened? Did it fizzle out?

Quote by metal4eva_22
Also shoutout to Gary King who couldn't let go.

Quote by metal4eva_22
did what fizzle out?

i went to uni in 2010 so our group kinda all broke up and went their own ways

now everyone is a serious adult with a job and new circles of friends and significant others (UGH) so it is poo
my teenage years were shit

and it hasn't really improved much since then
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Not much to say beyond there were a lot of ups and downs and I never was that carefree. It definitely could've been much better in so many ways but I like who I am now and if I changed my teen years I might not like my present self anymore. The only thing I might've done differently was to not try to deal with everything on my own...still good advice for me today.
cat
I made some good friends in high school, I hated the place but some people seemed to love to see me, usually when I was sitting at the piano.
Had a few bad habits that have since died off, they were fun but I'm definitely not going back.
I do miss the lack of standards when it came to fucking girls though, why did I grow up and start looking for a calibre of woman above pathetic and/or slightly disgusting and then almost voluntarily give up sex?

I think the best thing of my teen years was one of the best friends I ever had and the worst probably losing a few friends to various problems

Biggest regret is right now looking back and realising that maybe doing more Japanese (and remembering more of it) would have been nice for possible job prospects with the company that owns the school I go to.
The first time I fell in love with someone when I was 15 was the most painful and life-changing thing I had ever experienced. The pain of that event has tainted the way I've seen the world since. It turned absolutely everything upside down and it still hasn't reverted back 9 years later, long after I stopped thinking about her.

I was dangerously naïve about the engineering career I wanted to do back then and I'd do anything to follow a new career in something I actually care about. I bitterly resent that naiveté I had.

Then there was the bullying. But that pales in comparison to the long term impact of the aforementioned things.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 22, 2016,
Wasn't really bullied but I didn't really have more than a few distant friends (who I only saw and talked to at school, never outside of it).
Mostly sat alone and read books.

I hated going to school and still had a lot of anxiety back then, but at least my anxiety and depression weren't as crippling as they are now, so I consider it a pretty decent time looking back on it.
My teen years were pretty good. If I am to be honest there were some things that happened in my family that were a bummer I had a cousin that commited suicide, an uncle that committed murder and my brother ran off with some girl and dissed my parents, for the most part I didn't let it get me down it affected me for sure but I had good friends and went to literally 100's of concerts throughout the mid to late 80's mostly hard rock and metal shows. Music is very powerful and I used it to get thorugh some hard times I partied quite a bit and generally had a good time. The good times outweighed the bad I never was bullied so that was a plus.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

my teen years were p boring. i just kinda did stuff i liked and was in a relationship p much the whole time. only thing that really sucked was my high school fucked me over but eh i cant say that if i was in the classes i shoudl have been in i would be in a different position than i am now. probably would have had a worse time in high school if i was in the ~smart kid~ classes bc that shit is effort.jpeg

being in my 20s is better if only because now i have money to do the things i like instead of having to wait until birthdays/christmas to do get money to do stuff.

most of my childhood child hood was hella garbage tho. life didnt get tolerable until 6th grade
Quote by Evilnine
My teen years were pretty good. If I am to be honest there were some things that happened in my family that were a bummer I had a cousin that commited suicide, an uncle that committed murder

The way you're describing it makes it sound like it was almost an inconvenience.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My teenage years were awful for the most part, mainly due to troubles at home relating to my step father being a complete asshole. Once my mother divorced him and we moved out, things got much better. It being the second half of my senior year of high school, I tried to make up for lost time and I finally lost my virginity, my grades improved and I graduated with almost a 3.0 GPA which was a miracle because I was an awful student. After that, I got my first car, and went to college, got a job and I never looked back. My early 20's until now were the real tragedies though, with my divorce and my ex wife miscarrying and what not...I really need to go to therapy again.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The way you're describing it makes it sound like it was almost an inconvenience.

I didn't intend to come across like those events were an inconvenience. Traumatic as they were I just tried not to let them bring me down too much. There was nothing I could have done to prevent either of them so I did my best to take them in stride in spite of the fact that I was pretty close to both of them especially my uncle. Also the circumstances that triggered each event were intense and somewhat surreal so I used music and friends to help escape and not dwell on them.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

My best years are yet to come. Not saying that my teen years sucked, but I'd rather be out doing something useful than being in school.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
My teenage years were alright. I was friends with all the groups in high school, so I never had issues with not fitting in or bullying or anything. There was one kid that decided that I was gay for like 2 years and called me gay every time he saw me but it was like lol ok

I had a pretty good time, I guess.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
My teen years were kinda eh. I spent most of my time playing video games or pickup games of baseball/football with friends. I was bullied a decent amount early in my teens but it wasn't as bad as I aged, probably because I was 6'-6" by junior year. I didn't really start making any great memories or having a whole lot of fun till after I graduated high school. My early twenties were almost an extension of my teens as that's when I really started doing a lot of the partying, drinking, etc.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by Evilnine
I didn't intend to come across like those events were an inconvenience. Traumatic as they were I just tried not to let them bring me down too much. There was nothing I could have done to prevent either of them so I did my best to take them in stride in spite of the fact that I was pretty close to both of them especially my uncle. Also the circumstances that triggered each event were intense and somewhat surreal so I used music and friends to help escape and not dwell on them.

It was a bit of a joke. A distasteful one I admit, I'm sorry.

I admire your resolve. I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to my family.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
To be honest with you, I partied pretty hard in my teen years and don't remember a lot of it but I never really hated it and I had a ton of friends. The best is running into people you haven't seen in a bit and they go 'remember when you did this and this?' and I usually have to go 'no but it sounds like something I would've done'

Imagine pewds being your shining light during your darkest time tho. 'Yikes and a half' doesn't even come close to defining it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I do not remember the teen years

they were probably bad
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The first time I fell in love with someone when I was 15 was the most painful and life-changing thing I had ever experienced. The pain of that event has tainted the way I've seen the world since. It turned absolutely everything upside down and it still hasn't reverted back 9 years later, long after I stopped thinking about her.

Yeah pretty much, except I was 17. I've just come off the 7 1/2 year drug binge which immediately followed the breakup. That girl split me open like a fuckin walnut (not in a sexual way).
they sucked i was pretty much a hermit who played vidya games and guitar

now im pretty much a hermit who plays fewer vidya games and more guitar and knows people with drugs

so its better than being a teenager
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
They were all pretty shit honestly
Besides joining UG and learning the guitar, my teens were lame. All of my friends quit skateboarding by the time we were 14, so I never had anyone to go the skate park with. Didn't get my driving license or first job till I was 17, so I never really did anything fun before that (drinking, smoking, concerts, parties, driving up to the beach, etc). I'd probably say 18 was the best because I could pretty much do whatever I wanted to do as a young teen and I accumulated the most friends by that age.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Aug 22, 2016,
I have no story but I like myself much better now but I liked the people I was surrounded with better then.

17 was the best age.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
equal parts awful and boring.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
they were pretty awful

at school I was bullied pretty hard for a while for being perceived as gay till I was taller than everyone who had a problem with that

academically I felt punished for learning too fast so my interest for academia wavered to the point that I almost had to drop out of high school

i got involved with a girl who did a lot of awful things to me and i havent gotten over it yet

found out i really liked opiates, which didnt help my bipolar disorder

Im only recently starting to feel better about myself 4 years later, trying to find a job so I can try to learn to be a normal functioning adult but this city is poor as hell and work is scarce for someone without job experience
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
12-14 was mostly awful but there are certain aspects of that time period i look back at very fondly. would never repeat it.

14-16 was an overall alright time, but there's nothing that noteworthy about it. I'd say it was mostly just a really 'chill' time of my life.

16-18 is a time of my life i'd rather forget ever happened lol.

so far sixth grade and tenth grade are the best years of my life.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It was a bit of a joke. A distasteful one I admit, I'm sorry.

I admire your resolve. I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to my family.

No need to apologize I wasn't offended by your post.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge