Page 1 of 2
Quick question, I'm on a small budget of $20, what's a good guitar strap for my electric? I'm looking through some options but your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Quote by TheArmoredBat
what's a good guitar strap for my electric?

The one that you like.

I've bought a few straps online from a company called 'Hypnotic'. I find quite a few of their designs fairly tasteful and the quality of them is good for the price. But that's just me. There are thousands of places you can buy them from and they come in all shapes and sizes. I personally don't care too much for esoteric straps that cost $100. If you want something functional and decent quality that's what I've used and I feel no reason to use anything else.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 22, 2016,
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Quick question, I'm on a small budget of $20, what's a good guitar strap for my electric? I'm looking through some options but your suggestions would be highly appreciated.

You need to provide a LOT more information than that. How much does the thing weigh, for starters? And where the heck are you?

Your options *should* be limited to whatever you can find at a local store; it's silly to waste a quarter of your $20 budget if you can't get free shipping for something online.

Out of your budget, but worth an email is Well-Hung (Canadian). He hand-builds his guitar straps, and he's a teensy concern, and the ones he sells on Reverb are around $50, but he can be...uh....negotiated with. Fact is, I ordered up one of his straps (this one):

and it arrived *fast*. The strap is excellent, but what's fun is what *else* was in the box. A pick, some Canadian candy, a set of his Well-Hung Strapmaster Old School Straplocks and...wait...another strap and another set of his straplocks! Tell him I sent you and he'll probably charge you double, but beg convincingly and tell him you have a really tight budget and he might give you a break on the price. Hard to do that at Guitar Splinter. Tell him you'll broadcast his name all over Ultimate Guitar (I don't know if he's gotten to this forum yet).

https://reverb.com/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 22, 2016,
Sorry for being late. And the guitar, it's being shipped to me, it's an ESP LTD Viper 100fm. The straps you mentioned don't exactly apply to what I'm asking. I said my budget was $20, I can't jump to $50.
If I ever reach to that budget later down the line, I'll be sure to get in contact with him, let him know you suggested him, and broadcast his service.
TheArmoredBat Oddly, I find the best straps out there are the cheap default black nylon ones - they are lightweight, extremely durable and they slide properly on any clothing. I tried the fancy leather straps with padding etc and they were all basically terrible - anything that adds weight is bad in my view.
Check out levy's straps. The nylon style. I've had a few over the years and liked them.
Straps are expensive! Best way to get a strap is in a deal with other stuff. But i understand the budget is the key. Amazon has a ton of cheap straps. You might try some pawn shops too...oh a good guitar strap would be one with leather ends.
Last edited by geo-rage at Aug 22, 2016,
I have a few get'm get'm straps I like. Some should be in your budget. I'd also recommend getting strap locks installed. You can do it in 10 minutes and it will save your guitar from a nasty fall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
You need to provide a LOT more information than that. How much does the thing weigh, for starters? And where the heck are you?

Your options *should* be limited to whatever you can find at a local store; it's silly to waste a quarter of your $20 budget if you can't get free shipping for something online.

Out of your budget, but worth an email is Well-Hung (Canadian). He hand-builds his guitar straps, and he's a teensy concern, and the ones he sells on Reverb are around $50, but he can be...uh....negotiated with. Fact is, I ordered up one of his straps (this one):

and it arrived *fast*. The strap is excellent, but what's fun is what *else* was in the box. A pick, some Canadian candy, a set of his Well-Hung Strapmaster Old School Straplocks and...wait...another strap and another set of his straplocks! Tell him I sent you and he'll probably charge you double, but beg convincingly and tell him you have a really tight budget and he might give you a break on the price. Hard to do that at Guitar Splinter. Tell him you'll broadcast his name all over Ultimate Guitar (I don't know if he's gotten to this forum yet).

https://reverb.com/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories

That's a new brand to me, D. Looks good!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Arby911

Doesn't it scratch up the guitar?

I wouldn't use it if it did.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Maybe save a couple more bucks and get a lock-it strap. They're around 20 bucks for the basic ones and they lock to your guitar without modification.

They are comfortable and never slip of the strap buttons.
I like Levy's Leathers Cotton straps. They come in a range of colours. I prefer them to nylon as the cotton distributes the weight better on the shoulder than nylon especially during summer as the nylon can be felt sinking the edge into the skin while the nylon is soft. If you are willing to spend an extra $20, I would recommend straplocks.
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Liaztraht

The daddario? Doesn't it scratch the guitar? As I mentioned before.

No. As I mentioned before.

Due to the design they don't sit flush to the guitar and in addition the back is rubberized. I've got half a dozen for my guitars without straplocks. FWIW, the satin ones are very soft and don't dig into your neck/shoulder like a nylon strap can.
Charles Darwin
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Arby911

Is GC known for giving bad experiences to people? That's all I have been hearing.

I don't know, I've gotten probably $5k-$10k of gear from them and haven't had a significant problem yet, so I may be the exception.

In my experience the service at a local store will vary widely (we have 5 in the area) but if you get to know a few people (and spend a little money) things smooth out nicely.

But who cares, you're ordering a $20 strap, it's hardly a massive customer service challenge?
Charles Darwin
Arby911

Just asking for further down the line. The store I went to felt like a shop where music and passion were the only vibes. Saw bad reviews online, that's why I asked.
My experiences with GC have generally been positiv.e.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Sorry for being late. And the guitar, it's being shipped to me, it's an ESP LTD Viper 100fm. The straps you mentioned don't exactly apply to what I'm asking. I said my budget was $20, I can't jump to $50.

Which is why I mentioned sending him an email and telling him your situation. Up to you whether it's worth the time; I've made the suggestion and won't argue with you about it. He's a guy with a home shop in Saskatch.

Otherwise, you can go online and buy Ernie Ball and Dunlop straps for $5 and $9 from Amazon.
http://equipboard.com/posts/best-guitar-straps
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 23, 2016,
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Arby911

Is GC known for giving bad experiences to people? That's all I have been hearing.

As always, your personal experience may vary.
I have seven stores (out of 200+ in the chain) within reasonable driving distance.
They employ primates at, apparently, all levels of the evolutionary scale, and their customers are the same.
I've had satisfactory experiences, where I've walked in, handed them money, and they've handed me a product that was as it was intended to be by the manufacturer.
I've also had two and a half hour marathons that resembled Laurel & Hardy movies and that were ignited by a simple, "I'd like to buy that guitar. That one, right there. I have cash and/or Guitar Center Gear Card."

I wish you nothing but great experiences.
Quote by TheArmoredBat
So, the only strap they had was the planet wave strap, but it was too short. Might just get the lock-it.
Its a good choice. There are other colors too. I just linked to basic black.
I can get my jackson dinky down around crotch height with it. But I'm skinny and and only 5'9. They are 60 inches max length which isn't much more than most straps are.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Aug 24, 2016,
Liaztraht

I don't know a whole lot about the straps, and it came as a surprise to me when the D'Addario barely adjusted. Did you ever have a D'Addario and encountered that problem?
I have not. I've always used cheap no name straps and fender straps until I found lock-it. I can get some photos when I get home to give you an idea on their max length.
The locking mechanism

Holding my guitar by one end of the strap.

Max length

You can't really find longer straps for cheap. For larger people this fits at about belt height for them.
Liaztraht

It looks good. Only thing concerning is the lock itself, it seems like if it were pushing against the spring it'd fall out (unlikely, I know).
TheArmoredBat As long as you make sure the lock locks, it won't come off. I've watched videos of people swinging their guitars in unconventional manners and hanging off their guitars from forklifts haha. The spring is strong and the sliding lock is stiff but flexible. You can't bend through it, but it will flex without creasing.

I've never had it fail, neither has my friend who has had his much longer. The strap buttons that come on the guitar are more likely to fail first.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have a few get'm get'm straps I like. Some should be in your budget. I'd also recommend getting strap locks installed. You can do it in 10 minutes and it will save your guitar from a nasty fall.

This is what I was going to say. All of my gigging basses have their own get'm straps. They are top notch
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Page 1 of 2