Hi there,
I have a Vox VT20X which I'm not satisfied of mostly because of the crappy headphone output. At the same time I tried the Zoom G1Xon pedal and it both has awesome headphone output and effects.

Since it would make little sense having a modeling amp AND a modeling pedal, I'd like to sell the VT20X and pair the Zoom G1Xon with a small, good valve amp.

It should not be much larger than the VT20X: (W x D x H) 410 x 225 x 347 / 16.14" x 8.86" x 13.66"

Any advice? Thanks a lot.
Ekam Sat
2012 Danelectro '56 Pro | 2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | 2017 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Blackstar HT-5R
Do you like the VOX sound? Or rather what amp modeling setting do you use most often on the VT20X? If you like the VOX sound, you might like the VOX AC4's.

To be clear, it is not exactly the best idea to run amp modeling on the ZOOM unit and also then into the amp. You're running two heavily tone-shaping circuits on top of each other and often that does not sound good. So I would either use the ZOOM unit by itself, or just doing reverb, delay, etc. effects into the amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 22, 2016,
If'n I was you I would just get an Epiphone Valve Jr or a used Fender Blues Jr. - cheap, effective, simple, and they sound great!
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by Gab_Azz
Fender blues Jr.

Too big. EDIT: ok i suppose it depends on what he means by "much larger". it's certainly a bit bigger, at least if the specs on thomann are to be believed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For a practice amp, I wouldn't take Solid State amps out of the equation. In my opinion and experience, a good high gain SS can sound better at low volume than a tube, while tubes usually sound better at higher volumes. I still use a few small Peavey SS combos from the 80s/90s for practice amps. They're great for that, especially with a couple good pedals in front of them.

That being said, normally, for Tube practice amps, I would suggest either a Peavey 6505+ mini (20watt) or a Randall RD20h (20watt) or Randall RD1h (1watt). But they're pretty much metal amps and it doesn't sound like you're looking for that kind of sound. There are SO many great small amps to work with. While you said the Fender Blues Jr was too big, don't count out Fender. They make some great little amps. Look into them.
Last edited by Xander_X at Aug 24, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
I've had an Epi VJ for about 10 years, version 1, and have no ambition to change it. I don't know about the new ones, but mine was too warm sounding, so it has had a couple of "bright" mods. - Switchable tone caps across the C3 slot and volume pot.

I've got two of these; one box stock and one with the whole Mercury Magnetics kit installed. Bought them several years ago. I don't get to see the MM-modded version very often; it gets borrowed a whole lot. So I guess that's a testament to the quality of the kit (and some minimal justification to the horrendous expense). But it's worth recalling that these, at $89 or $99, started the whole lunchbox low-money low-power amp thing, and now a $500 5W amp is actually a thing.

Even stock the EVJr is worth it, and there are a ton of them out there used (and slightly modified and heavily modified, and some are EVJr's in case only, etc.) that will get you back some sizeable change on a $100 bill.
dspellman

They were/are a great target for modders. They are well made, easy to work on, and there is a lot of good modding info available. Mine has had a lot more done than just the bright switches - caps, resistors, L-pad attenuator, heater rectifier, 8-ohm speaker out, new speaker etc - and I have always thought it money well spent.
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman

They were/are a great target for modders. They are well made, easy to work on, and there is a lot of good modding info available. Mine has had a lot more done than just the bright switches - caps, resistors, L-pad attenuator, heater rectifier, 8-ohm speaker out, new speaker etc - and I have always thought it money well spent.

I was originally asked to leave one stock (to compare to the MM mod). But that agreement has long since expired, and I can do whatever I'd like to with the stocker. My problem at this point is analysis paralysis -- I'm not at all sure what I'd want to do to it, and there are/were so many options. I think probably half the people who were selling modification kits have probably gone on to something else (because EVJrs were discontinued?), but I'm sure that Bitmo and some of the others are still around. Probably some more sophisticated options (short of the MM) out there, but I think my question is: why bother at this point?
dspellman

When I did (not strictly true, a pedal builder friend did it in exchange for some work on his reso) mine, there was not so much choice. It was based on this:

http://duhvoodooman.com/vjr/vjr_mods.htm

Plus the L-pad idea I had picked up from somewhere. Just a couple of months ago I put a treble bleed across the volume pot, then recently upgraded the speaker. - So there was no real plan, just some evolution.

Why do it? I mostly do things like that out of curiosity, nada mas.

I know someone who converted an Epi VJ into a preamp - that might be interesting.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 25, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman

I know someone who converted an Epi VJ into a preamp - that might be interesting.

One of the guys on another forum got after an EVJr and ended up with something that had a pair of EL34s in it. I asked him what was left of the EVJr, electronically, and he just blinked at me.