Hey all!

I have this amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-gtx60-60w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier

All I use it for is recording. There's one issue...it has a built in fan that's pretty loud.
I have a couple questions:

1. Would it be dangerous to disable the fan? I only use it for maybe a half hour at a time at lower volume levels.

2. If the answer the above question is "no," could I simply open up the amp and disconnect the wires leading to the fan or would that mess with the functionality of the rest of the amp.

The "impulsive man" in me is telling me to just open it up and snip the wires, but I thought I'd ask some people who may know what they're doing.

All help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Zack
It's good to assume that it wouldn't be there if it wasn't necessary.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 22, 2016,
If the amp was designed to be run full-tilt on a hot stage for hours without overheating, the fan might not be necessary for your needs. There are certainly some amps that have fans only as an engineering precaution, and can safely run without them for most uses.

Knowing Behringer, though, I'd tend to agree with the above, at least to be on the safe side. I'm not sure besides getting in contact with one of their engineers (send an email, maybe you'll get lucky) that there's any way of knowing for sure if it's ok to cut the fan. If it were me, I'd just do it, knowing the amp isn't hard or expensive to replace and may not last forever even with the fan.

A more conservative option might be to replace the fan with a noiseless computer fan. I bet if you pulled out the existing fan you'd be able to find a quiet version that fit those specs, and they tend to be cheap ($15 or less, when I was looking at this scenario for my Bogner).
I'd leave it alone, if for no other reason than the fact that you probably won't have this amp forever or may loan it to a buddy one day and might forget to tell the next guy that you disabled the fan. This doesn't seem to be something many people think about (much less mention). Whenever I do repairs or mods to gear (or even when I build my own stuff), I always think about the next guy who will have it.
Quote by Roc8995

Knowing Behringer, though, I'd tend to agree with the above, at least to be on the safe side. I'm not sure besides getting in contact with one of their engineers (send an email, maybe you'll get lucky) that there's any way of knowing for sure if it's ok to cut the fan. If it were me, I'd just do it, knowing the amp isn't hard or expensive to replace and may not last forever even with the fan.

This may be a bit prejudiced but with a brand that is reputed to design and manufacture gear as cheaply as possible, even at the cost of reliability, anything that wouldn't be strictly necessary for the functioning of the amp would most likely be thrown out of the design. That would include any features that serve as a redundancy. I reckon if that fan is removed, the amp will turn into a Bugera.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 23, 2016,
Mind if I ask why you're not using the line out? Or hooking up a separate cabinet that could be used away from the fan in the combo?
I wasn't aware Behringer had any fans

(Sorry )

(Seriously, though, what everyone's saying above.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 24, 2016,
Hey, thanks for your responses everyone. Ended up playing it safe and getting a different amp as you guys suggested.
Thanks again,

-Zack

p.s. Loved the Behringer joke
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?