Poll Options
View poll results: which of the two?
90's twin amp
3 43%
hot rod deluxe tweed
4 57%
Voters: 7.
Which would you rather have...

- The early 90's fender twin amp https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--b3LGLcg2--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_auto:eco,w_620/v1397832039/bcesk4kj3yxypbt2rp5k.jpg

or

- a fender hot rod deluxe tweed http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/fender-hot-rod-deluxe-lacquered-tweed-jensen-c12n-limited-edition-312135.jpg

I'm looking for something that I can move by myself for small solo shows... I have the 90's twin amp and I have changed speakers/tubes but I still have my issues with it. I'm interested in the tweed deluxe because I've messed around with one at a music shop I go to often (I feel with a few tweaks it could be pretty awesome) and there's a guys selling it on Craigslist for $400 so.
I like the HRD better... a lot better. I gigged with one for 5 years and she never let me down once. Just ignore the drive channel and turn it up like you would any Fender Blackface. Legit Fender tone that takes pedals great.

There was always something off with those 90s Twins. I am not sure why and never owned one.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Cajundaddy Is there anyway to make the drive channel good? I feel like with some tube rearranging and a speaker swap that amp could be great.

the 90's twin amp has this weird dull washed out sound to it, can be cool for shoe-gaze stuff but mediocre for everything else. I still want to make few changes tube wise in hopes to make it better but idk.
MindIsMaster

Nope. Drive channel circuit design just sucks, at least on the earlier versions. I doubt the latest version is much better. I heard one guy sound pretty good on it once, I never did so I just used a TS9 for OD which worked great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Cajundaddy hmm... maybe I should reconsider my choices. Would you say it's waste of time to have one if I already have a twin amp?

There's other things I want to do music gear-wise but I don't really have a setup that I can just pickup & go (the twin-amp isn't that bad to move around compared to a head and 4x12)

I'll checkout the one I found used today and focus on the drive channel and debate my options...
Some people freak out about the drive channel but it never bothered me, I just ignored it, turned up the clean channel, closed my eyes and imagined I was playing through a 64 Deluxe Reverb that I only paid $350 for. Win!!! There are always knobs on an amp I have little use for and on the HRD it is the drive channel. The clean channel tone is WAY better than a 90s Twin IMO and better than most amps at twice the price. I think it's a great gig rig and if a Mesa F-30 didn't fall into my lap one day I would still be gigging happily with the HRD.

If the drive channel makes you queasy, look at a Blues Jr, Mesa Studio 22, Mesa F-30/F-50. All have great Fender clean tone and the Mesa has that signature creamy OD that works great.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 22, 2016,
Craig (cecamps) had some mods that he does on the drive channel of HRd's. They are fixable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll echo Cajundaddy's comments - the drive channel is terrible, the clean is good but not spectacular - you often see those amps in backlines at Blues Festivals etc.. One thing I would point out though - the HRD amp is still very heavy - if you want an amp that's lighter you may want to go with a Blues Junior or something similar.

If you have the cash, check the Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12 combo - I went from an HRD to that amp and it is spectacular - huge improvement - spring reverb and the best clean tone I've come across yet. The drive channel is very good too. Unfortunately it's also very heavy lol!
reverb66 Thanks for the suggestion on the lone star BUT I think if I'm going to break the bank or pour a little more money into some new amps it would be the Supro Coronado & Supro Thunderbolt. I setup those two amps up in stereo at a local music shop with some stereo reverb & delay and really loved that sound and I feel that if I slammed the front end with a tube overdrive pedal and/or some fuzz it could be deadly.

One of the biggest factors for me for choosing amps is what suits my voice. I like so many different styles of amps & music genres but my voice needs to be able to work with it and even though I like crazy heavy gain my voice hates it - unless it's got lots of sag & saturation/dynamics but if its too tight and stiff... that's not going to work for me.

IDK There's a lot of expensive stuff out there and I have some pricey items as well... But I just want something that works for what I'm trying to do - whether it cost thousands of dollars or just a few hundred (preferably a few hundred).
The drive channel on the HRD isnt as useless as most people make it out to be. I mean its not amazing but its plenty usable if you arent cranking the gain.

Honestly try one out. You might like it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R If I get it I'm going to tweak it. I have a Jensen Alnico Blackbird that's sitting in a box that I'd shove in there immediately and I have some spare preamp tubes (and power tubes) that I could try as well - mainly swapping some of the 12ax7s with a 12ut7 or 5751 to make the gain/volume more manageable.

I'm interested in it for a few reasons - It's being sold cheap & I have spare speakers/tubes that I can put in it to alter/attenuate the sound to my liking, as well as I have understanding of the amp and it's light/portable compared to my other amps.

So if it passes some test today I might end up getting it.
Personally. I'm of the mindset that unless you know what it sounds like and what you dislike about it then why tweak it?

I've been on both sides of the spectrum. At this point, if I can't give a decent answer to the question 'why should I mod this' then it's not worth modding. I understand wanting to upgrade your gear, but first you gotta get used to that baseline and what that sounds like before you can decide 'oh I'm gonna swap out tubes or speakers etc...' because otherwise what are you using to judge that point? Youtube clips?

You'll be surprised how little things like tubes affect the sound at the end of the day. Some tubes make a more of a difference (especially preamp tubes) but really at the end of the day if it sounds good, it sounds good. I mean I've paid to have my Triple XXX modded to run EL34s and if I could tell you the difference between that and when it had 6L6 tubes I would probably be lying.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R But I do have experience with this type of amp (clean channel more so) and every time I messed around with it at the store I feel the distortion was lacking because of speaker choice (I felt a higher wattage speaker with a different vocal characteristic could do the amp wonders).

So I'm not going into this completely blind or not ever playing it.

The guy who is selling that particular HRD tweed has a different speaker in it than the stock one and I already have a jensen blackbird, also when I said change tubes I meant just the gain stage preamp tube with a 12at7 instead a 12ax7.

Basically - if I want to make changes I already have all the things I need so no money lost there.
Last edited by MindIsMaster at Aug 23, 2016,
Alright well if you have experience then you know what youre getting into.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R I'd say it's more of a theory, but it's cheaper than any of the other ideas I have brewing in my head.
Can't speak for the twin, but I have a HRD and love it. You can always switch out the speaker/tubes if you want to modify the tone a little, but the clean channel on that amp is a great and accepts pedals very well (like everyone else said.)

I've found that I can play anything from John Mayer to Avenged Sevenfold on that amp depending on the guitar I'm using and how I set OD/Distortion on my pedals. Highly recommend this amp.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
I enjoy playing my HRD II. Mine is an old one with the custom fender (eminence) speaker and bad distortion channel. I use pedals for gain. I have the cabinet with Celestion speaker like the newer ones
I definitely prefer the older speaker.

Also, I swapped the speaker for a Jensen c12k and love the sound. The Jensen speaker is heavier than the original one (in weight).
fagelamusgtrGab_Azz I'm gonna pass on the HRD... I had the guy bring it to my jam space yesterday. It had some circuit issues and it was pretty beat up (it looked like it was in a flood) besides that I just didn't feel like modding/fixing it up (even though he was selling it cheap $350 and I have spare Jensen Blackbird laying around).

It sounded the same as the Twin Amp but brighter and I couldn't get it quiet-ish (it was blaring no matter what) and the distortion was worse - though the twin amp has different speakers and tubes than stock - IDK I just couldn't justify buying it.
Mine blew a couple of capacitors, when it was open, I noticed heat marks on the PCB from the high power resistors of the same circuit. Replaced those also and mounted the new ones off.the board to allow for air flow. The circuits were for the + and - 16 volts. Those are used for the channel selection.

I never had any other issues. The stock Celestion is a bright/brittle speaker sound. A preamp tube replacement, one with lower gain would make the amp go quieter.
Gab_Azz In all honesty, I'd rather just do a few changes to the Twin Amp (get a tech to look at it to make sure it's operating correctly/fix some of the minor internal issues and I could replace a couple preamp tubes with 5751's) than get invested in the HRD. I'm sure I could get the HRD sounding alright but I'd rather put that energy into the Twin Amp because it's more versatile and has more options & they sound so similar it just doesn't make sense... and I just prefer the sound of the Twin Amp more.

There's plenty more reasons I could list but I don't feel like it...
The twins are great amps, and if you can mod it to get the sound you like , than you should be fine. I find the HRD with 1 speaker is already heavy, so I use an extension cab for the second speaker. But if you can get help loading and unloading you should be fine. I like the c12k speaker that makes the amp heavier.
MindIsMaster

If the HRD has damage, then don't get it. To my knowledge, twin reverbs are great amps as well. To each his own. Enjoy!
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Gab_Azz I should be alright moving the Twin Amp on my own, I might call up a tech to ask about some recommendations to get it sounding more the way I want.

fagelamusgtr Too damaged and too similar to buy... also it's the twin amp not the twin reverb, they are different and the same in some ways.
Ah the Twin Amp. One of Fenders disowned children. I like a lot of those oddball Fenders. Good modding platforms, CHEAP!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.