Hi all, I am currently looking to buy an electric guitar. I have been slowly learning acoustic the last year or two. We bought my daughter a aria pro stv guitar and line 6 amp a few months back and I have been having a bit of fun with that.

Looking online I think I have narrowed my choice for my budget to a Schecter Damien or demon 6 guitar. The shop has some on clearance, so they would be older models.

Choice one - Damien 6 - matt black with EMG HZ-H4/H4A passive pickups

Choice two - Demon 6 - metallic black with Duncan Designed Active HB-105 pickups and floyd rose

Choice three - Demon 6 - metallic black with Duncan Designed Active HB-105 (no floyd rose)

All 3 are the same price and are at very top of my budget. I thought I had decided on the Damien 6, as I read the passive EMGs may be a better choice to the Duncan Designed HB105 but then I saw the Demon with the floyd rose so Im not sure if it should make me buy that one instead?

Visually I probably like the matt black of the Damien better?

I will be playing rock and metal mainly, Metallica, ACDC etc etc

Any opinions please as I am new to electric guitars. I will also be buying either another Line 6 15w spider amp or the equivalent Marshal amp that has the preset buttons which I quite like. I I am just learning and will only ever be playing at home for fun.
Basically you need to choose between Floyd or not, and active pickups or not.

For me, after I used a Floyd for the first time I felt limited on any guitar without one. I am a pretty mechanical person, and I am not bothered by the setup and use of the system. Others are not bothered by not having use of the tremolo, and hate the complexity and added hassle of properly using the system.

Active vs passive is all preference. Active sounds great but is usually a one trick pony, it does metal very well but has been criticized by some for having a sterile, processed & compressed tone. Great for Metallica, maybe not so great for AC/DC. The EMG Hz4 is a great passive pickup that sounds similar to the active, while still having some nice passive characteristics. Here's a comprison video:

If you are going to be frequently changing your tuning, I would suggest getting the guitar without the Floyd.

In my opinion, your decision should come down to feel. It is great that you have all 3 to compare. Play them all, and get the one that feels and plays the best to you. If you get the best player, you can easily change out the pickups if desired. If you get tired of the Floyd you can block it off. Fixing a guitar that plays poorly is not as simple.
Sorry and another one to throw in the mix is a aria pro ii xm9 which has emg 85 and 89 active pickups and Floyd rose for the same money.
Quote by guitarkid8
The EMG Hz4 is a great passive pickup that sounds similar to the active, while still having some nice passive characteristics.

Passive pickups all the way
In my opinion if you're going to get EMGs get the active ones. If I were to buy active ones I would just buy the heaviest ones possible because that's the only way I can see them being better than passive ones. In fact, I just ordered passive pickups but I have expensive Duncans waiting for me in-store because I'm putting those into a different guitar.

If you plan on devoting a lot of time to guitar I'd recommend getting a floyd rose. It also depends on what you play. If you're going to just restrict yourself to thrashy and mainstream sort of metal, I'd go with a guitar without a floyd on it. When I was a newbie though I bought myself a Jackson JS32 King V with a floyd on it. It's a cheap guitar with cheap sounds but I've replaced a lot of the stuff on it to make it really good. The floyd can be blocked off pretty easily if you want plus a floyd looks pretty damn cool. I blocked mine off with a block of wood I found in my garage! At that point I listened to more mainstream metal so I didn't need the floyd, but now I've gotten into more rhythmic genres where the floyd is vital.

Long story short, choose the guitar you feel more comfortable with playing. That's the first priority as everything can be changed later on. Get the one with the floyd if you can afford it because you can always hardtail it using some kind of block or system that isn't too hard to install. The floyds only take about 20 mins max to retune unless you change the string gauge. Regarding pickups, get what you like the sound of more. Passive vs active doesn't make too much of a difference, it's all about the sound. I can't really say what you should choose because everyone has a different style
Best of luck choosing
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am thinking about not going for the Floyd. And checking out my first pick in the Damien
The active Duncan Designed and EMG HZ pickups both sound like ass. I especially don't like the HZ pickups.

With that said with an amp like a Marshall MG15, I don't see how what pickups are in the guitar is going to really matter. I can't think of an amp off the top of my head that's more terrible, no offense.

It's best to not get a Floyd if this is your first guitar either. They're frustrating to set up, especially when you like playing in different tunings.

Despite how much I hate them, I'd get the guitar with the HZ's as upgrading to better passive pickups in the distant future will be more economical and generally you have more options with pickup upgrades if you stick with passives. But for the time being, you should make your very next priority kicking the MG out onto the kerb with the garbage.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 23, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The active Duncan Designed and EMG HZ pickups both sound like ass. I especially don't like the HZ pickups.

With that said with an amp like a Marshall MG15, I don't see how what pickups are in the guitar is going to really matter. I can't think of an amp off the top of my head that's more terrible, no offense.

It's best to not get a Floyd if this is your first guitar either. They're frustrating to set up, especially when you like playing in different tunings.

Despite how much I hate them, I'd get the guitar with the HZ's as upgrading to better passive pickups in the distant future will be more economical and generally you have more options with pickup upgrades if you stick with passives. But for the time being, you should make your very next priority kicking the MG out onto the kerb with the garbage.

I have to agree I have one set of HZ's that came stock in my Jackson DXMG and I can't stand them. Also T00DEEPBLUE is offering good advice and avoiding a Floyd on your first guitar as they are complicated to set up and limit your tuning options. Whether or not you choose active or passive with these two options and upgrade will be necessary eventually.

If there is a market for used guitars where you are from that will be your best bet. You can get a higher priced model with better features buying used for the same price give or take as a more affordable new guitar with cheaper features and quality, used is definatley something to consider if it is an option in your locale.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 23, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
If there is a market for used guitars where you are from that will be your best bet.

If I were OP I'd definitely go to craigslist and take a look. It doesn't matter too much where you live (Unless you live in the middle of nowhere), there are almost always guitars on there. I saw a really nice gibson explorer reissue for absolutely nothing recently. Also, you can always take a look on ebay (Not 100% recommended by me but there's a chance something good may come up there)
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Thanks for all your advice. Will keep an eye out for used as well. I realize I won't get the best equipment for my budget but I have to start somewhere just to learn and have a bit of fun at home
Would a Laney prism 20 be a better amp than the Marshall mg15. Or a Vox vx1 or vx2?
Last edited by ryadre at Aug 23, 2016,