So i recently got a Jackson 7 string, that came loaded with SD Blackouts. I dont know why, but i dont really like them, they feedback a lot more than the EMG pickups on my 6 strings, they have a stupidly high output, and i just plain dont like them. So i was thinking about getting either just the 7 string emgs, but im also toying with the idea of a passive set. I know metal players usually like the sd Nazgul, black winter or similar, but im wondering what else there is. I like pretty mid heavy tone, and i would also like the neck pickup to have a good clean tone. Im also wondering about some lesser known pickup makers, that dont break the bank. I play mainly modern melodic death/metalcore/whatever, so i guess jazz pickups are out of the question
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
There's no right or wrong way to go about this. I think passives have the potential to be a better solution as that opens up a lot more options with different pickups. There aren't that many active pickup sets to choose from by comparison. But running passives is going to be more costly.

I personally like the Distortion/Jazz set for versatility. The voicing of the SH-6 is awesome for many metal styles. I like the Jazz because it's nice and bright and cleans up wonderfully. Very articulate lead tone too.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Keep in mind that switching pickup types will also force you to switch out the pots on the guitar as well.
I know. I just want something good in my guitar, and if that means changing the pots, then be it.
This won't fit your lesser known builder criteria but I like the Dimarzio CrunchLab and Liquifire combo. CL has good mids without getting honky, and LF can clean up decent.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
What about bareknuckles? I hear good things about them. Maybe the Nailbomb of the Juggernaut?
I see you're in Europe, so I bet Bareknuckles are cheaper there than here in the US since they're made in Britain. Here they're higher than most other 'brand name' builders.

I'd like to comment on those pickups you named off but I've never played them. No one where I am sells them.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion