Hey guys, looking to buy an amp for home practice and use when I go to jam with my brother and his friends. Gonna try and give the information I think you'll need, feel free to ask if I leave something out.

What is my budget? Looking to keep in under $1000, buying used is fine for me.

B]What kind of music do I play? This is the difficult part I think. I play a large variety of music. A lot of SRV, Hendrix, to RHCP, Nirvana, and some metal, mostly Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc. So everything from classic rock to metal, however nothing harder or faster than Metallica. Therefore I need an amp that can handle all of that.

What guitar(s) do I have? I mainly use my American Strat, customized with 3 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Pickups. I also use a Scheter Hellraiser for the heavier things, but not much since I don't actually own the guitar, my brother is just letting me use it while he's at college.

What do I already know/want? I'm looking for a tube amp preferably. Having played them many times, I love the sound they produce. When I jam with my brother and his friends, I usually plug into his Peavey JSX, and I love the sound. I've also played on some Marshall DSL's, which I love the sound of. Overall, I'd like the best amp I can get for the money without having to buy pedals, as I can add them in anytime afterwards.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm not sure on specific models but what I think you could really benefit from a Marshall half-stack. Practically all the bands you listed use Marshall's.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Like you, I too play a variety of music from KISS to Metallica. Though I do have a few different amps and some are better for certain types of music, I do have / have had, quite a few that are great for versatility. Basically the perfect "cover band" amps. You already listed one, the JSX. I would recommend and of the 3 main Peavey "Ultra" series amps, JSX, XXX, XXL. The XXL is a solid state but it's the most advanced TransTube Peavey ever made. It simulates a tube very well, though you CAN tell the difference. It's options definitely make it the most versatile of the three and it's actually one of my main amps I still use as a "go to for everything" amp, but again, don't expect it to be PERFECT for everything. I can get a really decent Metallica sound out of it but A 6505+/5150 or Randall amp will still crush it in the straight up Metal department.

The Marshall JCM 800 would also be great for your use. It's obviously very popular by all kinds of bands and throwing a OD in front of it gives it devastating metal tones. That's actually a very for most metal artists using them to do. Think Metallica Black Album. If you go Marshall I would def stick with the JCM series.

There are a ton of other great amps, especially random amps through the years, ie Roland JC-120, SUNN O))) Beta Lead. I'd stick with the Peavey's for what your doing though. The old USA ones are excellent quality amps and will be WAY under your budget giving you plenty to spend on a good cab, effects, etc. You can pick up an XXL for under $300, a XXX for under $400, and a JSX under $500 all day long ... and many times way cheaper.
Where are you located?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well if you like the JSX just get one for about $500 or so. I'd get a Mesa Rectifier 212 (or a 412 if you want something that big). Should have some $ left over for some pedals or some tubes if it needs it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
JSX over the DSL40C.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I'll give you a few options to look into. A lot of this really depends on how willing you are to lug around a 2x12 or if you would prefer to stick with a combo for portability. I'll give you some options that I think are worth looking at. I'm actually not going to recommend any combo amps because I personally think investing in cabs/heads is much more rewarding in the long term as you can mix and match once you have a few in your inventory! I'm recommending things in the 15 watt range because for your purposes this should be enough power, if you need to go bigger than 15 watts you're probably going to be outside your budger for Tube (outside of used steals!).

Rig #1 - Orange Tiny Terror Head: Ok so, you can find these used for a great price. They are ultra portable and pack an amazing amount of punch for a 15 watt single channel head. The only concerns I would have here (similar to my OR15) would be true clean headroom but it seems like most of what your playing falls into the 'break-up' zone from light crunch to medium gain so I think the TT could be a great fit. Used these can be had for around 500CAD/400USD. But you're still gonna need a cabinet, I'd recommend looking into (of course) the Orange PPC2x12 and see if you can snag one used as well for about 400-500 USD. The Orange cabs I warn you are very bass heavy and can require a bit of eq'ing to get the right sound. They excel at massive crunch/medium gain tones, if you like vintage gain sound (think 70s/80s rock/metal). Modern metal, not really the right cab/rig but it seems you're more into that vintage sound. The other cabinet I would look into and this would have increased portability is the Mesa Boogie 1x12 open back/closed back wide body cabinets. These things are pretty awesome and definitely have a different character than the Orange cabs, easily matching in build quality as well. You can get these guys new for about 480 bucks! All in all you should be right about a grand for a combo like this.

Rig #2 - Fender Bassbreaker 15 watt head - Ok this amp rocks. You get an FX loop, it's about the same price as the Tiny Terror (definitely bigger and not as crazy portable as the Terror but still super portable IMO). You also get onboard Reverb, since you don't have a budget for pedals this would be a great feature! I would also try this head out with the Mesa 1x12 cabs (which I would highly recommend) but also you could pick-up Fender's 2x12 for this which is about $350 brand new. All in for the Bassbreaker head/2x12 you'd be at $950.00 bucks + your taxes. This is a great amp, Fender's QA process is excellent and it should last you forever. You'll get some enormous sound out of this rig.

Again these are just two options, both of these amps have very distinct sounds and are fairly one dimensional (sans pedals) but they are VERY good at what they do. It would be money well spent, versus a similarly priced rig that perhaps has more options, but doesn't do any one of them quite as well (for example, spending 1000 bucks on a line 6 product). That's my 2 cents.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
JS_StarOcean Thanks for the advice! After looking into it I love the sound of the Orange Terror series amps! I was able to play a Tiny Terror at my local store and it was great. However I noticed they also make the Dark Terror. I haven't been able to test one out yet but I love the sound I've heard in demo videos. Problem is the Tiny Terror does have better classic tones which I love but the Dark has a great metal tone, which I also love. Any advice on which one?
Quote by evanjsheehan
JS_StarOcean Thanks for the advice! After looking into it I love the sound of the Orange Terror series amps! I was able to play a Tiny Terror at my local store and it was great. However I noticed they also make the Dark Terror. I haven't been able to test one out yet but I love the sound I've heard in demo videos. Problem is the Tiny Terror does have better classic tones which I love but the Dark has a great metal tone, which I also love. Any advice on which one?

Well I can't really tell you 100% one way or the other because really it will boil down to some personal preference as they are really really similar amps at the end of the day. The Dark Terror definitely has a more aggressive pre-amp gain and is going to sound more modern. The Tiny Terror as you say does have a classic/vintage sound that's very orange but lends itself well to all kinds of 70s/80s rock and metal. Both have nice very Orange specific clean tones, limited headroom of course due to the wattage and oranges do like to break up into crunch mode fast. But there is one thing the Dark Terror has that is definitely an advantage over the Tiny Terror and that is an FX Loop. If you like to use pedals I find an FX Loop is invaluable. It just gives you that much more versatility. The Tiny Terror, Dark Terror and OR15 are all incredibly similar amps, just with different voicing really. I'd take your guitar into a shop and test them out. Definitely make sure to set the output volume to at least 30-35% when demoing them because you won't really hear the amp's character at all before then. That's the case for most amps but, I've found these micro amps it's like night/day. If you have any pedals you really like as well bring those in and try them out. I'll warn you that Orange amps are terribly finicky with pedals!

Hope this helps cheers!
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Looks like your tonal tastes run full spectrum:
SRV- primarily Fender
Jimi- Marshall Plexi
RHCP- Fender/Vox/Marshall
Black Sabbath- Iommi-Laney
Nirvana- Mostly Fender/Mesa
Metallica- Mesa, Marshall, Roland

Some amps I like in your price range:
Tiny Terror- really good rock tone and enough to gig with. I owned one for a few years and they do Brit crunch great. Add an OD and you get into metal zone.
Mesa- A whole bunch of them do great Fender clean tone and searing world-class OD. Studio 22, F-30/F-50, Lone Star, 50 Cal will all get it done.
Fender Supersonic- Great Fender Blackface cleans with British voiced OD channel

Go check em out and see if one suits you.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm just gonna plug the Orange Crush Pro series in here.

You don't have to buy it, but if you can, do try it. Its solid state done right.