Hi guys so I really need som advice!

Specs:
XPT700-BK
vypyr vip 3
Planet waves neutric cable

So this is pretty much what I have. I would consider my self somwhere between neewbie and intermediate depending
on the day and focus.
I would like to upgrade since I feel a little ihibited in my playing.
Songs I like to attempt playing would be from bands like metallica,
rammstein and sabaton , but also I switch to "acoustic" from time to time. I guess industrial metal is usually taking up most time.
The problem is I think I'm lacking better knowledge of how to technically optimize my playing for a decent buck.

Should I spend less time focusing on combo amps and maybe invest in a little better
amp and perhaps little more in pedals? What is you opinion on this and in that case what would be suggested as a must for the
things I'm trying to play?

Forgott to mention that I'm mostly playing at home so the amp that I have I is kind of unnecessarily strong for my playing.
There is nothing wrong with a combo amp. Some of the best amp heads also are available in a combo. Many of the higher quality ones are incredibly loud and you would be fine in the largest club. Plus you can always mic it or plug it straight into a mixer if the venue has a sound system OR the higher end combos usually allow for extension cabs. So put that to rest.

Also getting a higher quality amp, and a more correct amp for your playing style can and will allowing you to eliminate many effects pedals. Most OD and Distortion pedals you'll find won't be needed (sometimes you find one you just love the sound of an keep it in line though, like the old Digitech Death Metal for me). Always focus on your amps, cabs/speakers, and guitar before you focus on effects (IMHO). That brings up another point, do some research on what speakers would be best for you. This will help you decide what combo to get, or cab to go with an amp. There can be some drastic tone differences between speakers, but obviously not between all.

I'm a big Peavey supporter, but of the USA stuff. So the 6505 line and the older amps. That being said, that Vypyr is not the amp you want for your kind of music. It's a great little modeling amp for beginners, but tonally it's severally lacking. For metal I'd look at the older Peavey "Ultra" line. XXX, JSX, and XXL in that order for Metal. They get more versatile from left to right, but lose some brutality. The Peavey 6505+ is a straight up Metal amp that's widely used and respected but you're looking at just under $700 for that used (Usually) while the other 3 you can get for under $400 used down to $200. All of these were made in combo amps. I would stay away from 112 combos and go with a 212 if you go with a combo. The "Ultra" series 212 combos go for about the same price as the straight amp. The 6505 212 combo can usually be picked up for cheaper than the straight amp. I've seen those combos for under $500.

My other favorite option for metal are Randall amps. The RD series are all tube and straight up brutal. The flagship, RG100h can be had brand new for under $700. Then there's the RD line. They're all solid state, but IMHO, the best solid state you can buy, for what that's worth. They're pretty inexpensive, I think the RD3003 is under $400 new. This is the series that Dimebag Darrell used. Yes, he used a solid state amp! Randall pretty much just makes Metal amps.

Last, but most certainly NOT least. Your guitar .... it needs to go. Kiss it, hug it, lie to it and say "it's not you, it's me". Ibanez themselves are not bad guitars by any means, but you need to get yourself into a different level of guitar. Personally, there's no better guitar for metal than a Jackson. There are a lot of great ones, ESP, Ibanez (again), Schecter, and other that many would argue belong, but my metal heart will always belong to Jackson. I wouldn't even give a half glance at the JS series (complete junk not even fit for a beginner IMHO), the X-Series is their entry level as far as I'm concerned, on par with your guitar. Pick up a Pro Series, or if you can hack it a USA Select. Even better, if you can find a 90's Professional Series, they'll be decently priced, excellent quality and set up for metal. As with most guitars you're still going to want to swap the pickups for something a little more metal. Most Jackson's come with a JB in the bridge or something similar. And while I have some serious love for the Duncan JB, the one thing it doesn't do well is metal. If you get one with EMGs in it, you're set.

Hope I helped at least point you in the right direction.
playing and gear are separate issues. your current setup seems fine for a bedroom player and you should be able to get some decent sounds from it. now if it's your playing that you feel is the issue then buying a different amp etc won't really help that. what exactly do you feel is "missing"
Quote by MrXiphos
The problem is I think I'm lacking better knowledge of how to technically optimize my playing for a decent buck.

My best advice is to not overlook the importance of lessons from a teacher that can show you how to play the style you want to play. Even just a few lessons can advance your knowledge, technique, skill, and drive to play more than new equipment.

With that said, sometimes you just want to buy something else. For metal tone chasing my current path has been Peavey Vypyr 30W -> Randall RG100SC -> Peavey 5150 combo -> Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster.

I freaking love the tones I get from the Roadster. Does that inspire me to play more? Sure. With that said logistically for me I end up using ReValver on my laptop most of the time, especially when playing with a metronome or Guitar Pro.

For a guitar, get something that inspires you to pick it up and play! For me that's Jacksons and ESPs. Get whatever guitar you have or end up with professionally setup and then learn how to maintain that setup yourself. Brand, model, and price don't really have that much to do with playability out of the box in mid range guitars. My LTD EC-1001 needed to have the nut lowered to get the action I want to match my Jacksons (hopefully, picking it up this week after fighting the damn thing for months). You want a guitar that won't inhibit you from progressing due to being a piece of crap or setup poorly. It's hard enough to learn, don't fight with the guitar itself.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Xander_X
I would stay away from 112 combos and go with a 212 if you go with a combo.

Why not the 112's? You can mod those amps later down the line and if you're happy to do a bit of soldering, in my experience they can be made to absolutely rip yet to be more versatile than the stock heads. I can understand if some people aren't prepared to do mods to amps, but I don't consider it fair to entirely dismiss them either.

I mean if I wanted to take a jab at you, I could say that anyone who has a strong affinity for the Digitech Death Metal pedal is not in much of a position to talk about what amps deliver good metal tones. But that's just my extremely arrogant opinion.
Last, but most certainly NOT least. Your guitar .... it needs to go. Kiss it, hug it, lie to it and say "it's not you, it's me". Ibanez themselves are not bad guitars by any means, but you need to get yourself into a different level of guitar. Personally, there's no better guitar for metal than a Jackson.

I'm a big a fan of Jacksons as much as the next guy, but blowing off an Ibanez Xiphos with Dimarzio pickups as if to imply it isn't a suitable metal guitar and then stating that nothing is better than Jackson is a classic case of fanboyism. To someone who is relatively new to guitar, this sort of 'advice' is very unhelpful.
As with most guitars you're still going to want to swap the pickups for something a little more metal. Most Jackson's come with a JB in the bridge or something similar. And while I have some serious love for the Duncan JB, the one thing it doesn't do well is metal.

This is just plain bullshit. Partly because Dave Mustaine (among many other professional players) would like a word with you about the JB not being a good high gain pickup, but mostly that an amp that is able to achieve good high gain metal tones is going to make almost any humbucker-loaded guitar sound good for what you want.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2016,
Ok, well I wasn't going to tell him to get ready to mod his amp down the road. I was trying to get him a good time in a simple way. Nothing horrible wrong with a 112. I used a Bandit 112 for years in the 90s and it did me just fine for what I was doing then. Pop-punk and 90s rock covers.

His guitar isn't horrible. It's much better than some, like the Jackson JS series or Peavey's import guitars. But speaking from experience, a lower end guitar can hold you back from not only getting the tone you want but progressing as a musician. The lower end guitars made in the last 20 years are not anything like most of the guitar's that were considered low end made last century.

Yes, I am aware that Dave Mustaine used a JB for a long time, but he had a lot of equipment in between his guitar and amp and mods. He also ended up eventually going with his own pick up because he wasn't happy enough with it.

Please read post entirely before you blow up on someone. I clearly stated often that i was using my opinion and only trying to point the guy in the right direction. I also stated this when I suggested Jackson, that it was a personal preference and that there are plenty of other great guitars out there. I also stated my love for the JB. I have it in 4 of my guitars, but even with a 6505 or a Randall Satan it still sounds to thin for me for that brutal metal sound.

If you haven't REALLY tried the Digitech Death metal from the 80s, don't knock it. I can get perfect tones out of it for stuff like Poison, Motley Crue and early Metallica. I keep if because if I need to play through an unfamiliar amp, I switch it to clean and shove that in front.
Quote by Xander_X
Ok, well I wasn't going to tell him to get ready to mod his amp down the road. I was trying to get him a good time in a simple way. Nothing horrible wrong with a 112. I used a Bandit 112 for years in the 90s and it did me just fine for what I was doing then. Pop-punk and 90s rock covers

His guitar isn't horrible. It's much better than some, like the Jackson JS series or Peavey's import guitars. But speaking from experience, a lower end guitar can hold you back from not only getting the tone you want but progressing as a musician. The lower end guitars made in the last 20 years are not anything like most of the guitar's that were considered low end made last century.

Nobody is disagreeing that a poor sounding and playing guitar hinders a player's ability to progress as a musician. But the Ibanez XPT700 isn't exactly a guitar that's known for holding the player back because of poor playability or tone. If he cannot get a good tone from a guitar that comes stock with Dimarzio D-Activators then the problem is not the guitar unless something is very wrong with the way OP has set it up.
Yes, I am aware that Dave Mustaine used a JB for a long time, but he had a lot of equipment in between his guitar and amp and mods. He also ended up eventually going with his own pick up because he wasn't happy enough with it.

For the record, the Livewire pickups are actually voiced to sound like a JB, but just with more output, according to Duncan's marketing dept. The way a pickup is voiced is far more important than how much output it has, especially with the advent of modern high gain amps that have more preamp gain on tap than most metal players will ever use. Not for a moment did I feel the JB lacked any output with my 6505.
Please read post entirely before you blow up on someone. I clearly stated often that i was using my opinion and only trying to point the guy in the right direction. I also stated this when I suggested Jackson, that it was a personal preference and that there are plenty of other great guitars out there. I also stated my love for the JB. I have it in 4 of my guitars, but even with a 6505 or a Randall Satan it still sounds to thin for me for that brutal metal sound.
What you stated was that Ibanez as a generalization, hold no candle to Jackson. But even if you say now that it's only your opinion, you never explained or gave any context to why you think Ibanez are inferior to Jackson. And that's why I stated that what you said sounded fanboyishl. It creates a distorted and unhelpful perception of Ibanez as a whole to an inexperienced guitarist. And that's what I take issue with.

My experience with the JB differs from your own through my 6505. It sounds different from the 500T pickups in my Gibson V, but the JB in my Jackson does metal just fine and has tons of balls with my set up. But again, that's just me.
If you haven't REALLY tried the Digitech Death metal from the 80s, don't knock it. I can get perfect tones out of it for stuff like Poison, Motley Crue and early Metallica. I keep if because if I need to play through an unfamiliar amp, I switch it to clean and shove that in front.

From what I've heard on sound samples, I'm not very impressed with the sounds of cheap distortion pedals and I'd certainly not use one over a decent amp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2016,
Actually my exact words were "Ibanez themselves are not bad guitars by any means..." And when I listed a handful of brands I added Ibanez once again. Pickups don't make a guitar. For example, I picked up a MIJ Jackson Performer in the 90s. I swapped all kinds of pickups in it and just could never get the tone or playability I wanted out of it. I just couldn't turn it into I high caliber guitar. That being said, I also compared his X series guitar to Jacksons X series guitars. I own an SL3X. It was a great beginner guitar out of the box, but I immediately swapped out everything on it besides the nut which was an official FR. The pickups, the electronics, etc all replaced. This did make a much nicer guitar and a pleasure to play, but it's still not as nice as my higher end Jacksons and old USA made Peaveys like my Vandenberg or Destiny that just play themselves.

You are correct about the livewire being based on the JB but with modifications. This is similar to the Duncan Distortion. That pickup on the other hand does Metal quite well. I have one in my SL3X. The Parallel Axis Distortion is very much like a hotter JB as well. This also is an excellent metal pup. I, personally just think the JB is JUST a little too thin sounding.

I also said that a good amp can elliminate the need for many pedals BUT you may find one you like and want to hold on ot. I didn't say that said pedal would be better, just telling him not to disregard them. You should know that sound clips barely do anything justice. You also need to know how to dial pedals and amps in correctly. Active eqs are tricky and can be frustrating for many. My Digitech Death Metal is certainly not better sounding than some good amps, but, again, I can get near perfect emulation of some artists sounds with it using the clean channel on a good amp. This validates me keeping it if I need it. It may not be a fancy, skinny jean wearing, man bun having, boutique pedal but that's what people had in the 80s and it certainly its "cheap". Furthermore, I had one of those cheap plastic Ibanez pedals 20 years ago, a 60s Fuzz, can't remember the line, but again, cheap plastic, went through 3 of them because they kept breaking internally, but I loved the tone I got out of it for 90s rock.
Last edited by Xander_X at Aug 24, 2016,
For the early Metallica tones grab a DSL40C, boost it with a tube screamer and place a DD-3 in the loop for solos. A wah and a chorus can be also added to the setup. If you really want the British tone replace the speaker with a Celestion creamback 65.

I am able to get tones close to early Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC with the DSL.

If you grow to like a different style, the amp is versatile and the amp is loud enough for most band situations and gigs. I am also able to use it at home for practise.
Quote by Xander_X
Actually my exact words were "Ibanez themselves are not bad guitars by any means..." And when I listed a handful of brands I added Ibanez once again. Pickups don't make a guitar. For example, I picked up a MIJ Jackson Performer in the 90s. I swapped all kinds of pickups in it and just could never get the tone or playability I wanted out of it. I just couldn't turn it into I high caliber guitar. That being said, I also compared his X series guitar to Jacksons X series guitars. I own an SL3X. It was a great beginner guitar out of the box, but I immediately swapped out everything on it besides the nut which was an official FR. The pickups, the electronics, etc all replaced. This did make a much nicer guitar and a pleasure to play, but it's still not as nice as my higher end Jacksons and old USA made Peaveys like my Vandenberg or Destiny that just play themselves.

You are correct about the livewire being based on the JB but with modifications. This is similar to the Duncan Distortion. That pickup on the other hand does Metal quite well. I have one in my SL3X. The Parallel Axis Distortion is very much like a hotter JB as well. This also is an excellent metal pup. I, personally just think the JB is JUST a little too thin sounding.

I also said that a good amp can elliminate the need for many pedals BUT you may find one you like and want to hold on ot. I didn't say that said pedal would be better, just telling him not to disregard them. You should know that sound clips barely do anything justice. You also need to know how to dial pedals and amps in correctly. Active eqs are tricky and can be frustrating for many. My Digitech Death Metal is certainly not better sounding than some good amps, but, again, I can get near perfect emulation of some artists sounds with it using the clean channel on a good amp. This validates me keeping it if I need it. It may not be a fancy, skinny jean wearing, man bun having, boutique pedal but that's what people had in the 80s and it certainly its "cheap". Furthermore, I had one of those cheap plastic Ibanez pedals 20 years ago, a 60s Fuzz, can't remember the line, but again, cheap plastic, went through 3 of them because they kept breaking internally, but I loved the tone I got out of it for 90s rock.

just for the record the DOD FX86 Death Metal Pedal didn't come out until the mid 90s so no one in the 80s was using it. it is considered to be a really bad pedal (true or not of course is up to user) the Digitech version is based on the FX86B which came out in 1998 (so may be a bit better).. I assume you are referring to Ibanez Soundtank series pedals and the fuzz was a Danelectro which were dirt cheap.
digitech death metal pedal?

the xiphos ibbys are quite sweet. the d-activators are good metal pickups.

i don't like JB's

peavey bandits?

also any scenario where i had a 2x12" combo for a gig, i would have been fine with a 1x12." i am either mic'd up or either one can get way too loud. however i usually do the head/cab thing with a 2x12."
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't know what people problem is with this pedal. I'm not even reping it trying to get other to buy it. I'm only saying that I get a sound I want out of it and I've kept it because of that. It's spot on CC Deville.

And I guess I should assume you've never used an OLD Bandit or you're young. Because I don't think I've met anyone, that was alive and playing when they were out, that can't admit they were one of the best SS amps made.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

For the record, the Livewire pickups are actually voiced to sound like a JB, but just with more output, according to Duncan's marketing dept. The way a pickup is voiced is far more important than how much output it has, especially with the advent of modern high gain amps that have more preamp gain on tap than most metal players will ever use. Not for a moment did I feel the JB lacked any output with my 6505.

Yeah. I mean, it's not crazy-hot like an EMG but it's definitely in the hot camp IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Xander_X
I don't know what people problem is with this pedal. I'm not even reping it trying to get other to buy it. I'm only saying that I get a sound I want out of it and I've kept it because of that. It's spot on CC Deville.

And I guess I should assume you've never used an OLD Bandit or you're young. Because I don't think I've met anyone, that was alive and playing when they were out, that can't admit they were one of the best SS amps made.

trashed is hardly a new player . The Peavey Bandit was an ok amp and with pedals was usable. can't say it was great and I had one so this is personal experience. this is a board full of opinions and you can't expect everyone to agree with yours. for instance you say CC DeVille like that is a good thing . just sayin. ok you like the Death Metal which is fine others here found it to be a steamin pile of crap but if it works for you great who cares what we say. got any vids of recording of you using it? perhaps you've hit on a good way to make it work so feel free to share. we're not jerks just to be jerks. both trashed and I are regulars on the gear boards and spend a fair bit of time helping others. I've been playing for over 35 years now
Quote by Xander_X

fifteen years ago, i would have regarded the bandit as a decent amp, but a lot has changed since then. i could probably name thirty different amps that are better for the same amount of cash. i have played a bandit, i owned a transtube head way back in the day, and am now sitting on like 18ish tube amps of all kinds at the moment. from vintage clones i built to vinatge music mans, to mesas, oranges, splawns, etc. bandits do not sound that great.

whatever floats your boat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Xander_X
Last, but most certainly NOT least. Your guitar .... it needs to go. Kiss it, hug it, lie to it and say "it's not you, it's me". Ibanez themselves are not bad guitars by any means, but you need to get yourself into a different level of guitar.

Terrible post.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
fifteen years ago, i would have regarded the bandit as a decent amp, but a lot has changed since then. i could probably name thirty different amps that are better for the same amount of cash. i have played a bandit, i owned a transtube head way back in the day, and am now sitting on like 18ish tube amps of all kinds at the moment. from vintage clones i built to vinatge music mans, to mesas, oranges, splawns, etc. bandits do not sound that great.

whatever floats your boat.

If you can't find a way to get tones out of a Bandit 65 and an old Boss distortion pedal, you probably just lack the ability to dial in a good sound without a $2000+ modern nerd amp that does all the work for you. Somebody that actually knows what they are doing can dial in great sounds on plenty of unassuming gear that snobs tend to overlook. But you know. Why learn to use a more-than workable rig effectively when you can throw thousands of dollars into expensive stuff? And have you even played a real Bandit? I mean like an 80s Bandit 65. Peavey done goofed by making them TransTube.

Even if the Splawn does sound better, how much better does it really sound? 10%? 20%? Is that enough to justify shelling out an extra 2000-3000 when tone really doesn't matter as much to anybody as guitarists seem to think? I don't know what your experience in music is, but at the end of the day tone doesn't really matter half as much as guitarists (like to) think.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 28, 2016,
Quote by theogonia777
Peavey done goofed by making them TransTube.

Have you got something against the trans community?
Quote by theogonia777

If you can't find a way to get tones out of a Bandit 65 and an old Boss distortion pedal, you probably just lack the ability to dial in a good sound without a $2000+ modern nerd amp that does all the work for you.

but at the end of the day tone doesn't really matter half as much as guitarists (like to) think.

Given this premise, why should I take any of what you've just said seriously?
Even if the Splawn does sound better, how much better does it really sound? 10%? 20%? Is that enough to justify shelling out an extra 2000-3000 when tone really doesn't matter as much to anybody as guitarists seem to think?

If you don't think spending that amount of money is not justified for the marginal gains you receive, then good for you. But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't feel it's justified.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 28, 2016,
Quote by theogonia777
Terrible post.

If you can't find a way to get tones out of a Bandit 65 and an old Boss distortion pedal, you probably just lack the ability to dial in a good sound without a $2000+ modern nerd amp that does all the work for you. Somebody that actually knows what they are doing can dial in great sounds on plenty of unassuming gear that snobs tend to overlook. But you know. Why learn to use a more-than workable rig effectively when you can throw thousands of dollars into expensive stuff? And have you even played a real Bandit? I mean like an 80s Bandit 65. Peavey done goofed by making them TransTube.

Even if the Splawn does sound better, how much better does it really sound? 10%? 20%? Is that enough to justify shelling out an extra 2000-3000 when tone really doesn't matter as much to anybody as guitarists seem to think? I don't know what your experience in music is, but at the end of the day tone doesn't really matter half as much as guitarists (like to) think.

getting tones and getting the tones you want are two different things. I used a Bandit 65 for a little while back in the 80s and ran a DS-1 into it and later a Pro-Co Rat. sure I got usable tones but I wouldn't mistake them for what I can get out of a Splawn with no pedals. I don't even have to go that far though. I'd much rather run my Chinese TS clone into my Peavey Valveking than run damn near any distortion pedal into a Bandit 65 as I know the VK will sound better. tone always matters whether the listener understands that or not. if what they hear doesn't appeal to them they won't listen plain and simple.
Quote by MrXiphos
Hi guys so I really need som advice!

Specs:
XPT700-BK
vypyr vip 3
Planet waves neutric cable

So this is pretty much what I have. I would consider my self somwhere between neewbie and intermediate depending
on the day and focus.
I would like to upgrade since I feel a little ihibited in my playing.
Songs I like to attempt playing would be from bands like metallica,
rammstein and sabaton , but also I switch to "acoustic" from time to time. I guess industrial metal is usually taking up most time.

Should I spend less time focusing on combo amps and maybe invest in a little better
amp and perhaps little more in pedals? What is you opinion on this and in that case what would be suggested as a must for the
things I'm trying to play?

Forgott to mention that I'm mostly playing at home so the amp that I have I is kind of unnecessarily strong for my playing.

Dude, nothing wrong with your gear for a BR shredder. Focus on your chops and maybe start jamming with friends to spark your motivation. If you really want a new amp ( and lets be honest, we all do) a Jet City might be right for you. Legit hi-gain tube tone in a solid package at a fair price. It will have better bones than the Vypyr which is a pretty decent practice modeling rig. I think your Vypyr still sounds better in many ways to the 80s Peavey Bandit folks are jabbering on about. You certainly don't have use for larger speakers or more of them to fill a 10x12 room at home.

In the end, it's mostly about your ears and fingers, and really learning how to get the most mojo out of the gear you have. It doesn't suck.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hi guys!

Thanks for replying, trying to direct me in a good direction! However I guess I should be clear about some things.
I don't think it exist in my mind to get rid of my XPT700-bk I wouldn't be MrXiphos if I did. Like some of you mentioned it's important to have things making you pick up the guitar to play and my actuall guitar does that.

However my vypyr vip3 amp is probably broken becuase the distortion loses juice when I strum multiple strings. This means I should get something quickly. I was thinking of buying the sanpera pedal before it started acting up.

The reason I ask about pedals is that I want to quickly shift between sound. Right now I have to change all the time with the dial and it's just stupid. Takes the edge of the situation so to speak.
So getting some new gear I could take the opportunity to get something better.

I have been looking quickly through all your posts trying to get a consensus out of it. Unfortunatly I get so many recommendations that are spread out which makes it harder.

The other problem is that I don't know any other guitarists that can lend som info or some gear. I did go to the local music store but these people are extremely buyest just wanting to sell random stuff that doesn't impress me with their sound.

Youtube doesn't give any amp or pedal justice so this makes it even harder.

Also I live in Sweden so buying one of the more qualitative amps is easly 50% more expensive than America even though they are on second hand market. This all puts me quite in a bad position. Sorry to say guys but I was kind of hopping a little bit for a magic fix.

Btw is there a difference in sound between amps with only one speaker and those that have two?
Quote by MrXiphos

Btw is there a difference in sound between amps with only one speaker and those that have two?

The answer is yes.

Or no.

Or maybe.

Too many variables.

Everything else being equal, a 2x12 will be marginally louder at the same settings than a 1x12, and that's the only thing that can be said for certain.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It can be a lot of fun upgrading and trying out new and better gear provided you have the disposable income but given your experience level, I would say just enjoy what you got and keep getting better and learning more about the sounds you want. It can be information overload and you will save a lot of money in long run if you wait and try out as many different amps as you can until you are sure of what you want. I've learned this the expensive way and now I have 3 guitars and 4 amps I need to sell. lol
Hmm I'm kind of in your situation now hotrodney71. Writting becuase things have happened and I wanted to update to let you guys know.
So not long ago I bought the vox stomplab IIG to my peavey vypyr VIP3. So this kind of helped me a little getting the freedom with sounds I wanted since it has both buttons and a pedal. However this still doesn't matter if the main sound is not good. So I thought up a strategy and I was about to buy multiple combo amplifiers to get the time to test and then send back what I don't want. The first on my list got to be a Marshall code 25. It has Bluetooth etc and is smaller which is what I wanted. Honestly I still found the sound bad maybe even little worse than the peavey.
Here comes the twist, for me at least, a couple of years ago I played around with a USB guitar and had the sound through the PC. I think I had amplitube on it but I had old speakers that were nevertheless good but old. The sound was good but I was not satisfied thats why I bought the peavey vypyr VIP 3. I still tried out the PC with newer guitar and another app (don't remember which one now). But it seemed it got worse so I just focused on the stand alone amp thingy. But at that time I bought a cable that were made to fit the guitar connection and line in on the PC for the newer guitar. I actually thought by that time that this cable made it worse since I got rid of my USB guitar I had to have the line in cable.
Now I was just on a visit back at my parents home were the cable is and took it mostly as a thing to play around with, I didn't believe this would do anything. People have been warning me for the impedance thingy and it was a thin cable I thought it was not shieleded properly etc. But I did buy a new PC (asus Z170I with supreme fx onboard sound) not long ago I also have the Logitech Z906 speaker system. I actually downloaded the free tutorial guitar rig 5 to test with what I have.
Honestly this was the best decision I have made for a long time regarding guitar playing. I got the warmt back in the sound I have been nagging about, its really easy testing various sounds that I had problems finding before. I think I made some serious progress just during these couple of days than probably months now due to this improvment. It doesn't seem to suffer of any noticable latency. I sent back the marshall code 25 and I have the peavey vypyr 3 on sale now. So in summary on the hardware side just one little extra cable made such a difference. The question now is if I can turn my stomp lab into a midi controller. I will research this.

Yes and I have been to the local Music store to check my guitar but this guy threatened me with serious modifications on my guitar regarding "bad" frets, neck adjustments, clean up, etc. I think the sum was that of the actual value of the guitar. So I played around myself learning on Youtube. I did some neck adjustments while still having some strings to check against fret buzz, I cleaned with naphta and adjusted the action myself. It's not perfect but more than adequate for me.
So in summary you should only trust your self! People say alot of stuff.... in my opinion the Music store guy came with alot of bullshit. Don't say he was necessarly wrong but not adapted to my needs and I think he exaggerated things alot! The other thing I'm probably never going to go back to stand alone amplifiers unless I want to go mobile but I doubt it since the sound is so much worse in my opinion. I actually don't know why people give these amplifiers I had such high points in reviews. I mean usability is Ok but the sound is not, I have read alot of reviews and even guitar veterans give these amplifiers really high grades. But maybe I'm being really baiest since I play mostly metal and "softer" sounds sound beter through these amps. What is your opinon on this?
The only thing I have not personally tested is the really expensive rigs you guys seem to be sitting on but that is not necessary for my use. In any case thank you all for your inputs! (Y) Hope my story helps someone that might be confused to put things in perspective.