So I just picked up a second guitar, both are 25.5", Floyd guitars. I'm going to keep one in E standard, maybe drop D on occasion. I am going to block the trem on the other and use it for whatever tuning lower than drop d, within reason. Is there one gauge string that can cover a wide range, or will I be limited by the strings themselves?

For reference, I've used 12-56 for C standard and thought they felt great, but might be a little tight for my preference on higher tunings. I was thinking maybe 11-54?
I use 11s for C# standard with a floyd and it's absolutely beautiful. I suspect these should be fine but if you're planning to drop very low, for example, drop B or drop A, I think a better idea would be to have the regular 11 gauge strings except the bottom string, and put a heavier string such as a 58. I feel like there isn't really a perfect tuning, it's just what you prefer!
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
If you're switching between tunings on one set of strings, the feel will vary a lot by definition. There really isn't a way to avoid that - it's inherent to the physics of the guitar. If you're absolutely not picky, maybe you can cope with that (though you'll likely still get intonation issues in all but the tuning the guitar was set up for). You've really got to try it yourself to make that call.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Just wondering, but why the need for such a wide range of tunings?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Just wondering, but why the need for such a wide range of tunings?

I'm not him, but a lot of metal music is being done via an open pedal note and a one (sometimes two) finger power chord. The bands doing the originals are apparently recording in the depths of hell and channeling demon voices and in order to approximate the particular circle of hell and filthiness, the open notes drop perhaps halfway toward bass regions. Amps are required to produce hellacious quantities of gain.

Since demons apparently can't agree on a common tuning (because it would be common, after all), there are a number of choices with each straining to be lower than the other.

I have a Variax guitar that will accommodate every lower and downtuning down to about Baritone on an instantaneous rotary switch (beyond that you can easily add choices down to about an octave down on each string), and it will happily do that with a Floyd in fully functional mode, but The Master has blinded his disciples to that guitar so that they may increase their expenditures, their fear and loathing of Guitar Splinter, and their hatred of Floyds by requiring them to buy more and more guitars with thicker and thicker strings, yea, even unto bridge cables, in order to do His bidding and fill their bedrooms with black greasy smoke.

Or something like that.
Just want to be able to quickly and easily change my tuning to match whatever band/song I want to play That uses drop tuning and sound correct. Doesn't have to be perfect string tension or intonation, it will be a true compromise for the sake of simplicity. Tight on some tunings, floppy on others. I just want to select a string that won't be too much of ether characteristic.
Won't work. You'll need multiple guitars.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by guitarkid8
Just want to be able to quickly and easily change my tuning to match whatever band/song I want to play That uses drop tuning and sound correct. Doesn't have to be perfect string tension or intonation, it will be a true compromise for the sake of simplicity. Tight on some tunings, floppy on others. I just want to select a string that won't be too much of ether characteristic.

Can't be done.

'Change tuning', 'Floyd' and 'convenient' have no place existing within the same sentence.. The fact that the strings are the same gauge is irrelevant; it still means you'll need to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar, and adjust the truss rod to compensate for the increase/loss in tension. Along with adjusting the action to compensate for the fret buzz caused by having spaghetti strings. At that point you may as well restring the whole guitar with a different gauge and re-set it up again from scratch.

If you must have the convenience, then buy multiple guitars.

And if changing tunings so often is something you're also expecting your band to do, then you must be a pain in their asses.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

'Change tuning', 'Floyd' and 'convenient' have no place existing within the same sentence..

"Changing tuning with a Floyd is not convenient."

Works ok for me

But seriously, agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
"Changing tuning with a Floyd is not convenient."

Works ok for me

Bastards.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's the self made excuse I used to buy more guitars. Worked great!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by guitarkid8
Just want to be able to quickly and easily change my tuning to match whatever band/song I want to play That uses drop tuning and sound correct.

This is a weird thing that guitarists seem to be too concerned about. It doesn't really matter what tuning the song was recorded in. There is no reason why you can't play a song in B standard in C# standard for example. It will sound "fine by all means. If playing along is a concern, pitch shift the recording or make a backing track. There is also this funny thing called a "capo" that electric guitarists seem to be generally unaware of. Maybe you should just tune low and get one of those.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
As seen in my OP, I have multiple guitars. The Floyd will be blocked, so no adjusting the claw or springs.
Quote by guitarkid8
As seen in my OP, I have multiple guitars. The Floyd will be blocked, so no adjusting the claw or springs.

Problem solved.

It doesn't really matter if the bridge is blocked. There's simply no such thing as a one-size-fits-all string gauge, blocked bridge or not, in my view.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R