Page 1 of 12

IT'S HAPPENING

Well, the AP preseason rankings have been out for a bit now, which means that it's time to get excited! Many schools have already done their open practices and are regularly doing full pad 2-a-days, things are ramping up fast, and the rankings are as controversial as ever.

Now that we have seen that the playoff system is the champion of the people, the top 5 becomes even more important. Here are the preseason rankings.

1 Alabama (33)
2 Clemson (16)
3 Oklahoma (4)
4 Florida State (5)
5 LSU (1)
6 Ohio State (1)
7 Michigan (1)
8 Stanford
9 Tennessee
10 Notre Dame
11 Ole Miss
12 Michigan State
13 TCU
14 Washington
15 Houston
16 UCLA
17 Iowa
18 Georgia
19 Louisville
20 USC
21 Oklahoma State
22 North Carolina
23 Baylor
24 Oregon
25 Florida

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/preseason-ap-top-25-poll-alabama-clemson-oklahoma-top-first-2016-rankings/

Thoughts, complaints and comments welcome! As with always, post your favorite team and I'll edit the OP to advertise your allegiances. Converse upon how overrated Notre Dame is for all eternity.

Superior B1G Teams
Wisconsin Badgers JustRooster, ehbacon
Michigan State Spartans Gibson_SG_uzr55, NeoMvsEu
Ohio State Buckeyes iwannabesedated

Inferior ACC Teams
Miami Hurricanes jambi_mantra
Louisville Cardinals CrossBack7

Inferior Big 12 Teams
Oklahoma Sooners TobusRex
Texas Longhorns Victory2134

Inferior SEC Teams
Georgia Bulldogs Aeolian Harmony

Members of the "Anyone But Alabama" Hate Mob
necrosis1193

Special Snowflakes for their Irrelevant Teams
zgr0826

And finally,

GET READY FOR

BUCKINGHAM ****ING BADGER
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Sep 5, 2016,
Go not-Alabamas of the college football world! I am tired of seeing Saban team after Saban team win the title.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by JustRooster
necrosis1193
Added to the OP.

Damn straight
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Go Sycamores!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The only colors, represent!

(hopefully MSU does okay this year, unclear until the games begin)
Alabama got hit pretty hard by graduation. No way they deserve #1 preseason...pure hype. Clemson lost some talent but offensively they should be as dangerous as ever. I'd probably install Clemson as the prohibitive #1 to start the season.

OU....I'm a born and bred Sooner fan. I think OU will have the most fun, exciting offense to watch in the country this year. Defensively OU will be the same as ever....pretty decent but nothing special. I can see OU going undefeated....or losing 3 games.

LSU is way overrated. #5 and they don't even know how good their QB will be? A stuffy run dominated offense backed by a 2nd rate QB, but LSU always has a good defense. I can easily see LSU losing 3 or more this year. Frankly....LSU has been overrated for a few years now.

Tennessee should be improved, but I think a top 10 ranking is wishful thinking. I"m thinking more on the order of #25-20 for those guys, until they prove their chops with wins against good teams.

Ole Miss @ #11- another overrated SEC team. What the hell has Ole Miss done in the last few years to deserve such lofty rankings? Their complete collapse in big games? Their utter domination of the creampuffs on their schedule? Ole Miss is a fraud.

Washington@#14 - wishful thinking!

Iowa will crash and burn this year. They got lucky as hell to start 12-0 last year, against a rotten Strength of Schedule, and got crushed in their bowl game. Plus Kirk Ferentz never has 2 good seasons in a row. I predict 4 or 5 losses for these guys.

Florida - just on the list because they are UF, not because they deserve it.

All in all, I'd say a pretty decent first top 25 list. Just a few undeserving teams on the list. I pointed out the ones I expect to disappoint. I do like my teams (OU SOONERS!) chances of winning it all if they can stay undefeated until the young defense gels, but Clemson has got to be the big favorite.

Good luck vs LSU, Rooster! I'm sick of hearing about the damned SEC. I'm still pissed that you guys were robbed at ASU a couple years ago!
Last edited by TobusRex at Sep 1, 2016,
Quote by NeoMvsEu
The only colors, represent!

(hopefully MSU does okay this year, unclear until the games begin)

Michigan State or Mississippi State? I'll add you to the OP.
Quote by TobusRex

Good luck vs LSU, Rooster! I'm sick of hearing about the damned SEC. I'm still pissed that you guys were robbed at ASU a couple years ago!

I'll never forget, nor will I ever forgive.
Quote by zgr0826
Go Sycamores!

Hehehe....OU's second team could hang 50 on the Sycamores
Quote by JustRooster
Michigan State or Mississippi State? I'll add you to the OP.
Totally Michigan State, never been to MS :')
Quote by JustRooster

Quote by JustRooster

You agree with my assessment of Iowa from last year?
Quote by TobusRex
Hehehe....OU's second team could hang 50 on the Sycamores

You mean to tell me that a team from one of the best conferences in the FBS could beat an average FCS team? I'm shocked by your bold claim!

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
You mean to tell me that a team from one of the best conferences in the FBS could beat an average FCS team? I'm shocked by your bold claim!

And don't forget it
Have OU and Indiana State even played each other? I know we usually play either Purdue or IU once a season, not this year, though..

Quote by ErikLensherr

Yeah, OU beat them in 1999 by 49-0. OU finished 7-5 that year. The next year OU won the NCAA title.
Quote by TobusRex

Jesus Christ... Those were the worst times. That was back when we were lucky to win a single game all year. Now we're running about 50/50.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Indiana State isn't known for it's football prowess. I think you guy's claim to fame is Larry Bird. I remember when the Sycamores went undefeated until the championship game and played Michigan State (with Magic Johnson) in the finals and finally lost. Felt bad for them....I really admired how Bird played.

Anyway, here's a link that has the record for college football teams for their entire history. I use it as a reference during the season when looking at team's histories and such. I remembered playing you guys, but didn't remember if it was 1999 or 2000, so found it here. The site also includes FCS teams.

http://footballsickness.com/?UV9wZc0e
Basically a de facto UGA follower at this point. It will be interesting to see if the new coach makes any difference to the chronic underachievers. 18th seems generous to me but the quarterback fiasco from last season seems to be sorted out (despite a newbie).

I'm predicting they stack up a few big wins early on, get way too optimistic, lose, and then Athens has its annual football-related cryfest before slogging through the second half of the season.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Yeah, what's the problem with UGA, Aeolian? It's smack dab in a football loving state. Georgia produces a lot of talent for it's size too. Plus it's a D1 program in, arguably, the best conference in college football. They got oodles of money in that program too...the boys aren't out there playing in threadbare uniforms or anything.

UGA is usually pretty decent too, occasionally popping up to win it's half of the conference. Yeah, I don't know what the problem is because UGA has little reason not to be, essentially, "Alabama" of the East. Hell, they should be BETTER than Alabama...they produce a lot more football talent than the state of Alabama does.

Good luck. I like the Bulldogs more than the other biggies in the SEC. I'd like to see them pop up and bloody Bama's nose this year.
Well, hopefully that's what comes of hiring Kirby Smart. I have plenty of respect for Mark Richt, but there are way too many resources--talent and money--available to not be consistently pushing for a top-10 place. The heat's been on for them the past few seasons with FL and SC consistently shooting themselves in the foot.

Bearing in mind that when he first came in, UGA football was a wreck.

Also, UGA is a huge party school and the players are really good at getting arrested/distracted with legal trouble.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Taking suggestions for Like button ideas for when I become overlord of this thread. I'm thinking the Dislike button should be SEC SPEED!
The "like" button should say "BOOMER!"
I wish "poise in the pocket" would fit in the character limit.
I see the OP hasn't been changed to reflect my loyalty to a mediocre-to-bad FCS team. I feel insulted. Someone from our conference was the number 2 draft this year, for god sake.

Quote by ErikLensherr

BIG10 SIZE and SEC SPEED are the current like buttons. Let's try to make a habit of changing them like once a week or so?
JustRooster
Sounds good to me. What also sounds good to me is if my FCS loyalty were recognized in the OP; it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by ErikLensherr

JustRooster
Thank you for doing that in the passive-aggressive way only you can do. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
I see the OP hasn't been changed to reflect my loyalty to a mediocre-to-bad FCS team. I feel insulted. Someone from our conference was the number 2 draft this year, for god sake.

What do you mean Mediocre to Bad? They've won five straight National Championships
Quote by iwannabesedated
What do you mean Mediocre to Bad? They've won five straight National Championships

I'm not a NDSU fan, I'm an Indiana State University fan. We're just in the same conference as them.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
I'm not a NDSU fan, I'm an Indiana State University fan. We're just in the same conference as them.
Quote by zgr0826

Ah. I misread your statement.

Well, you've still got Larry Bird.