Sometimes when I listen to my recordings I go, "that was pretty good, wow." Other times I question how I even let myself get this far with such a shoddy instrument.

What I'm looking for is some constructive (maybe even brutal) feedback. Is this something you would listen to, or should I stick to writing lyrics for others?

These are bits of two songs. The last one has some belting. The first is "Cold Water" by Major Lazer and the second is "You don't know me" by Grace.

Dry vocal: https://soundcloud.com/sean-edwards-15/dry-vocal

Wet vocal: https://soundcloud.com/sean-edwards-15/wet-vocal
(2 EQs, and compression)
Bad: -You go off key 2 or 3 times.
-When you sing the first high (pretty sure it's a G#4) it sounds kinda strained. The second song also sounds strained in the high notes.
-Right after that G#4, you try to give your voice resonance, but it sounds forced. Let it sound more natural

Good: -Your upper mid-voice sounds very good.
-"So take a deep breath and let it go" Man, I love the sound of your voice in that line.
-In the second song, you do a raspy A#4 that sound good (in a rock way).

I would say that you have a good voice, you should train your upper end a bit, so the high notes in the second song sound more controlled (right now, you can hit them but they sound strained). The first song was o.k in general, with some parts that sounded very good and some that sounded bad.
It would be good if you also post a song with your lower range, i would love to hear it. Keep on training, I think you have a lot of potential.
But isn't it strange... that as soon as you're born you're dying?
Question: how are you recording? Is there a backing track in headphones? Are you listening to yourself through headphones while recording? Is it just a cappella?

I'm interested in hearing you both a cappella and with a backing track behind. I'm actually not directly familiar with any of the songs, so more context could help both of us here.
NeoMvsEu
I'm playing the original song in my headphones. I can link those if that's what you'd need to compare.

1st song: Cold Water

2nd song: You Don't Own Me (starts around 0:30)

3rd song: Location
Last edited by sean.edwards.94 at Aug 24, 2016,
sean.edwards.94
You have a very agile voice, and as i said before, your mid-range is quite strong. Your lower voice sounds good, altrough a bit breathy.
There are a lot of good videos in youtube that could help you improve, but this is a tricky area, because most of the good teachers have programs to sell, so the videos they make are just a small part of those programs. I would recommend you to watch Felicia Ricci or New York Vocal Coaching videos, you will find some helpful information.
But isn't it strange... that as soon as you're born you're dying?
TheKindlyOnes
Haha, I've actually seen a couple of Ms. Ricci's videos. I'll start there. Thanks again!
Last edited by sean.edwards.94 at Aug 24, 2016,
(sorry for super delay)
---
Okay that's what I thought

Using headphones can make it hard to hear your voice and the notes. I know singers use headphones in recording and live situations (in-ear monitors - more detail here), but with the original tracks, you're competing with the original vocalist in addition to the other instruments and basically absorbing the vocalist's technique, whether it's healthy for your own voice or not.

Are you comfortable with singing with a guitar live? I'd rather you try yourself recording with a backing track or where you're more comfortable, because you might not be able to hear your voice properly with headphones in. Your singing gets more in-tune the further you go, but try locking into the pitches in practice.

(This doesn't erase the usefulness of lessons either way. That might help with high-note and general technique )

(also, your singing sounds good despite all of the suggestions I'm giving ^^ )