Does anyone here have experience with pitch-shifting guitar to get a decent bass simulation? I am talking about a heavy metal bass. What fx would you use, how would you EQ it, etc?
honestly this doesn't work very well. you can drop the sound down an octave and get a kinda bass like sound but don't expect miracles.
I noticed. Using TSE Bod I can`t make it sound acceptable at all. Very flubby. And that`s before I add any drive.... sounds like biological disaster. That`s why I am asking for people who got good results using a guitar, if they are nice enough to share their secrets
Quote by ArturPr
I noticed. Using TSE Bod I can`t make it sound acceptable at all. Very flubby. And that`s before I add any drive.... sounds like biological disaster. That`s why I am asking for people who got good results using a guitar, if they are nice enough to share their secrets

well you may have a bit of a wait as I've yet to find anyone who got good results. it's one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but really doesn't work.

I'd buy a cheap bass just for recording as that will work. I use a LTD B-50 just for that purpose.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Aug 24, 2016,
A Variax guitar does this very well. That's because the pitch shifting is done using the Variax alternate tuning firmware.
MIDI pickups/MIDI software does this pretty well, too.

What does not do well is using a pitch shifting pedal with a standard guitar.
I am pretty sure a part of variax`s magic is emulating a bass pickup. Bass pickups are different than guitar pickups. It probably addas some pre-eq as well.
Could do. Dunno. But one of the things that a Variax CAN do (and I've done it regularly) is set up one or two strings an octave down (bass) and then leave the rest standard (or whatever else you like). I've done this a lot with a Variax Acoustic 700 that I sneak into an all-acoustic group every now and then. Fun to watch the audience craning their necks to see where the bass player is.

Also worth noting is that there ARE bass versions of the Variax out there (a model 700 four-string and a 705 five-string), and that guitar emulates a bunch (like 15, if that's a bunch) of different basses. And of course there's the old Bass Pod XT and the X3, both of which have libraries of bass amps/cabs that are emulated/modeled. The Pods are inexpensive, but the Variax basses have actually gone up in price, and seem to be sought after (and are hard to find).
A hollow body electric with the right amp and played very gently will emulate a bass
It will be way easeir to just get a cheap bass. Thats what i did, and its one of the most practical investments in my life.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
If I record my guitar using coil split, then adding a low shelf at 300hz, -5dB, then transpose, I can get an almost decent sound. Seems like it'll be simpler if I just buy a bass tho
+1 for purchasing a cheap bass, go for a used one and get a nicer bass for the same money as a cheapo new one.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by gorkyporky
It will be way easeir to just get a cheap bass. Thats what i did, and its one of the most practical investments in my life.

Paired with the trick the guy from Royal Blood uses* and that's probably good enough for most.

Or you could go full-on Charlie Hunter, using custom fanned-fret extended range instruments that have bass pickups & stings for the lower 2-3 strings, guitar pickups & strings for the upper 5 and seperate outputs for each set. Pricey. Not for the faint of hertz..

* He splits his signal, putting an octave up on one path and a tuner on the other. When both channels are active, it sounds like a bass and guitar. Engage the tuner, that channel gets muted, so only the bass' octave up faux guitar channel is active.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Some of your better octave pedals can get bass-like response, but not so good that you'll really fool anyone on the lowest notes. Look towards the end of the demo on this page.

https://www.walrusaudio.com/products/luminary
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2016,