Hey people! I need some help, a while ago a friend of my band gave me this old and heavily modified Super Reverb amp, it is on its original 4 speaker combo casing but for some reason it has 2 12" sepakers (surprisingly they are fender orginals) the reverb tank is disconnected, it has some RCA branded 6L6 tubes and it even has a computer fan installed at one side!!

When i turn it on the tubes seem to work normally, but the sound coming from the speakers is very thin and almost non audible.

what would you recommend me to do? Is it posible to restore the amp? I was thinking of maybe restore it as a head but i dont know if it is worth it or how much is it going to cost me, im planning on selling it or something, i have no use for it
Output transformer, power tubes, maybe preamp tubes are prime suspects here.

This might be something to entrust to a professional. There's absolutely some value in this amp if it's restored correctly by a competent technician.
Quote by Roc8995
Output transformer, power tubes, maybe preamp tubes are prime suspects here.

This might be something to entrust to a professional. There's absolutely some value in this amp if it's restored correctly by a competent technician.

Thank you!!

Would you recommend to restore it as a head? Or the full combo? (Having in mind the 2x12)
Easy enough to change the speakers and cab later. Get the chassis working correctly first.

If you want top dollar from the restored product:
Strictly from a resale perspective, closer to original is better. If you can reverse the installation of those 12” speakers and find a quad of period-correct or at least decent repro 10” drivers, that would increase the desirability, I think.
Even better would be finding an empty and untouched Super Reverb cab from that era without the chassis. Those can be hard to come by but they do exist.
I agree, as close to original as possible is the best way to go, and have a pro do it. I have a 1973 Super Reverb, fantastic amp. I had to do some work on it to get it working right, replaced every capacitor in it, made a couple of minor modifications, still has original CTS speakers. (OK I forget, they might be Oxfords but I think CTS is right) It's worth about $1500 as it sits.and Blackface is usually worth more, if it's in original condition,and blackface amps usually don't need any mods to sound great.

Silverface amps had some issues many guitar players didn't like. Mainly too much boomy, out of control bass. That's a simple matter of replacing one capacitor with a different value. Mine also had a couple of caps on top of the power tubes, to minimize oscillation, that are better placed elsewhere and cut out the high highs that give Fender amps their chimey "sparkle" a lot of people call it. Your Blackface shouldn't have either of those problems. Ocne brought back to original circuitry and speakers, it should sound fabulous. in case you don't know, the Fender Super Reverb was a favorite of rock guitar players before the silverface amps were made. That's what Johnny Winter started with, Joe Walsh, Rick Derringer and many others. Derek Trucks still plays a blackface Super Reverb his parents got him in the 60's new. That's an amp a lot of people you've heard on the radio for years cut their teeth on. I've seen many of them onstage with professional touring bands. Along with Twin Reverbs...both re immensely popular. Have it professionally fixed and brought back as close as possible to original. It's worth at least $1500 in good condition.

OH..DO NOT make it into a head...then it might be worth $500...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
It won't be the output tranny, they don't fail in that way.
Start by retubing it. It may need new filter capacitors but that won't be the cause of this particular fault.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a 64 Super Reverb and she is a sweetie. Have a qualified tech go through the chassis and get her working. A 2x12 would give you lots of speaker choices if you wanted to change them later. The factory 4x10 results in a very quick response and fills a room nicely. This one is worth spending some $$ on a quality refurbish.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
could we get some pics?

seriously though - if its heavily modified, as you said, we need to see what is in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup hey men sorry i took a while to reply, i have some pics but i dont know how to upload them here! Electronic wise the amp hasnt beef touched, just the cab
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER
trashedlostfdup hey men sorry i took a while to reply, i have some pics but i dont know how to upload them here! Electronic wise the amp hasnt beef touched, just the cab

Upload to photobucket or the like, link here.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Fucks sake, someone put a horn in there!

And the fan to cool it...

SMDH!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Fucks sake, someone put a horn in there!

And the fan to cool it...

SMDH!

I have seen this before. They modded the SR for a keyboard amp. It worked rather well back in the 60s when keyboard amps didn't exist yet.

For guitar you will want to ditch the horn and probably the speakers as well. A nice set of guitar speakers will wake it right up. That amp is pre CBS, probably AA763. It looks dirty, beat up, and a lot of trouble to restore so just ship it to me and I will handle the rest...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 29, 2016,