I have just bought a glass slide as I recently found out about Derek Trucks and absolutely fell in love but i'm not so sure where to start and that is why I have made this thread.
What styles should i learn to play like Derek Trucks, Many Thanks.
He was very influenced by early blues guitarists from the 40s, 50s, 60s etc. But also stuff like the Allman brothers(he played with them for awhile) or Clapton. Bluesy guys like that.
30 years of practice.

As already said, loads of Allman Brothers, he has played with them for a long time.

Start simple. Learn to use open tunings, especially G and D. Find some of the older blues recordings and try those, Derek is really hard to match, I've been playing slide since the 70's and won't even try to match his work.

Slide is not that hard, but a couple of things you have to remember. The slide bar should be placed directly over the fret, not between them the way you play regular guitar. If you do that you'll be out of tune. The slide bar is a movable fret. Develop a light touch. You only have to hold the bar against the string with enough pressure to make the note sound out. practice by getting one note at a time to sound clear and with good sustain. I practiced a lot with just one finger, and no slide bar, to train my hand to do what I wanted with just one finger.

You can hold the slide bar on either the pinkie or ring finger. Derek uses his ring finger. So do I, since I found it more comfortable. Johnny Winter used his pinkie, same as Eric Clapton and many other slide players I've seen. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes both use their ring fingers. I think Duanne Allman used his pinkie, but not positive. With the pinkie you can also use the other fingers a lot more to make chords with the slide bar still on the pinkie. I have a damaged tendon, I can't use other fingers either way.

Use your index finger to mute strings you don't play most of the time. Once you get fairly proficient, you'll also find occasions you want the other strings to sound, for the overtones they produce. But start by getting proficient with muting using the index finger. It's very helpful, especially on electric guitar. Do this by very lightly laying your index finger all the way across the strings to mute unwanted notes between the slide bar and the guitar nut that will create unwanted overtones. and at other times, you may want those overtones, just don't mute. But learn by muting it.

Learn to use hammer ons and pull offs at the first 3 frets with open strings. Very useful.

Most slide players prefer to finger pick. I play both with and without a pick, but I learned to finger pick many years ago on regular guitar too, and it's very useful for acoustic guitar too. Johnny Winter used a thumb pick and bare fingers. I've seen others do that and all finger picks too. Also, when you finger pick, this is not easy to describe, you can mute a string you just played with another finger, to keep it from sounding on top of a second note, you do want to hear. That takes a lot of time and practice, but is great when doing slide leads. You can play one note, then another, and almost instantly mute the first note with another finger so it stops and doesn't come out on top of the second note...It takes a lot of practice, but you can mute notes pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

Start with some simple songs, and work your way up. Work on mostly rhythm parts first.I didn't, the first song I ever learned was Statesboro Blues, early Allman Brothers with Duanne playing slide. Tough song to learn, but I like a challenge...Start with something simpler, it took me a long time, and I used a Zippo lighter held between middle and index fingers, I didn't have a slide bar and commercial ones didn't exist, I couldn't find a bottle that fit my finger, so I improvised with a lighter. 15 years later I finally found a commercially made brass bar, now I have a half dozen antique medicine bottles for electric and still use the old brass one for acoustic.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
30 years of practice.

Well, it's 30 years now, but e's been playing like that since he was like 16. No joke. Trucks is a monster.

First, Trucks plays mostly slide in open E. If you want really authentic Trucks sound, you gotta do that.

Second, he's one of the most expressive and technically subtle guitarists out there. He might be more natural and expressive than guys like SRV, Knopler, or Carlton. That takes a lot of technique and real focus on emoting.

Last, you can get a good start on his style by digging into classic blues, as well as a little jazz and eastern/Indian traditional music.

His typical approach is pretty straightforward blues, but he does a LOT of movement between major and minor pentatonic. On less bluesy tunes, he emphasizes 7ths and 3rds quite a bit. I'd suggest working out some of his licks and solo melodies and analyzing them for chord tones and non-chord tones.

You can definitely approach his style without playing slide or open E, though the articulation won't be exactly the same. He really epitomizes "soul", and it takes a lot of practice to maintain that level of intensity.
Quote by cdgraves
. Trucks is a monster.

That's an understatement...I love listening to that guy. Thought he had to be using either open D or E, but wasn't sure and never tried to figure it out. I've also seen him play some killer slide in standard tuning. Only way I knew was he was using straight guitar chords too. Pulled a slide bar out of his pocket and just killed him some slide...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...