Ok guys so I wanna upgrade my gear by buying a new amp. Until now I just had a Line 6 Spider IV 15w practice amp, then for better tones I bought myself a Line 6 UX1 interface, now I want to buy a new amp,more powerful and versatile but still in a budget.
I mostly play heavy music, and I need an amp that will get the job done.
I'm looking for a combo since Heads and Cabs are too expensive so somewhere between 80-100 W.
I was thinking of a Marshall MG 102-CFX is this a pretty good one for metal and stuff like that? I wish to achieve a heavy tone, something typical to the new bands these days, more of a new-school-ish tone,like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage stuff like that even though I heared that Marshall are known a more old-school metal tone but I saw a lot of new-school bands using it.
So, what else would you recommend? If you think the Marshall is a good choice let me know.
If you know something better, help me please.
Thanks!
Quote by tuca.madalin
Ok guys so I wanna upgrade my gear by buying a new amp. Until now I just had a Line 6 Spider IV 15w practice amp, then for better tones I bought myself a Line 6 UX1 interface, now I want to buy a new amp,more powerful and versatile but still in a budget.
I mostly play heavy music, and I need an amp that will get the job done.
I'm looking for a combo since Heads and Cabs are too expensive so somewhere between 80-100 W.
I was thinking of a Marshall MG 102-CFX is this a pretty good one for metal and stuff like that? I wish to achieve a heavy tone, something typical to the new bands these days, more of a new-school-ish tone,like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage stuff like that even though I heared that Marshall are known a more old-school metal tone but I saw a lot of new-school bands using it.
So, what else would you recommend? If you think the Marshall is a good choice let me know.
If you know something better, help me please.
Thanks!

you are going to be hard pressed to find anyone here that will recommend a Marshall MG series amp. they are cheap crap that soun very little like a "real" marshall.

we need a budget and location from you to give you better choices.
monwobobbo hmm a budget, somewhere at 400 dollars I live in Romania and yeah we haven't got that many places to get amps so the best bet is thomann.de
Quote by tuca.madalin
monwobobbo hmm a budget, somewhere at 400 dollars I live in Romania and yeah we haven't got that many places to get amps so the best bet is thomann.de

ok then hopefully some European folks will chime in. take a look at Jet City amps as those seem to get recommended often. you probably don't need 80-100 watts either and certainly not with a tube amp (which jet city is).
Unfortunately, I can't find only just a few Jet City amps on thomann.de.
Found the JCA5012 Combo but it's only 50W and costs 450 dollars. Does it worth that much? I haven't heared about Jet City until now so that's why I question.
Heared about Soldano the company designing the Jet City amps though.
I also like Peavy amps. How about the Peavy bandit 112?
don't buy a bandit.

jet city is pretty solid overall. Probably the best you can get in you're budget. 50 watts is more than loud enough.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup How about the Roland Cube 80gx, I like its interface, and I heared it's a pretty decent one, still doesen't worth it?
How about Peavey Valveking?
If you can swing it Marshall DSL40C.
Why do you need 100 watts? I am willing to bet that the DSL40C (at 40 watts) will wipe the floor in terms of volume when compared to the CUbe.

The Cube is decent at best, but don't get suckered in with all the electronic gizmos, these are usually amps that have all the bells and whistles and not much in terms of a good tone.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
don't buy a bandit.

jet city is pretty solid overall. Probably the best you can get in you're budget. 50 watts is more than loud enough.

You can get a 50 watt combo designed by Soldano, or for more money, you can get 5 watt combos by Marshall or Blackstar. So I think Jet City probably wins.
Quote by tuca.madalin
Unfortunately, I can't find only just a few Jet City amps on thomann.de.
Found the JCA5012 Combo but it's only 50W and costs 450 dollars. Does it worth that much? I haven't heared about Jet City until now so that's why I question.
Heared about Soldano the company designing the Jet City amps though.
I also like Peavy amps. How about the Peavy bandit 112?

a 50 watt tube combo will bury a 100 watt solid state amp like a MG. you won't need mountains of wattage to play in a band. I have a 50 watt 1x12 tube combo that is plenty loud and my actual "for bands" amp is a 60 watt 2x12 although my 1x12 will work fine in most cases.

take some time to do some research as it seems that you really haven't. the Bandit while good for some things is no metal amp. perhaps you could find a used Peavey 6505 combo used in your price range. don't be afraid to go used as it will stretch your budget further.
For those types of bands I'm not sure if the Jet City can pull that off or not - never used one.

I'd look into a high gain Peavey like a 6505+ or JSX, Laney IronHeart, or Mesa Dual Rec.

Just found your budget. How much is the IronHeart 30W Combo there? Or a used Engl?

Or go used. . .

On a super budget maybe the Peavey Vypyr VIP2? I have a first gen one and the 6505 or Dual Rec can you get close.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Aug 25, 2016,
the Iron Heart is like 800 dollars, twice as my budget. I'll look for used ones although I there are just a few sales here and there. I hate my country, maybe I'll find something on Ebay
Marshall Valvestate S80 8240 2x40W 2x12" Just found a guy that sells this but I'm assuming it isn't gonna get me the tone i'm after.
Quote by tuca.madalin
Marshall Valvestate S80 8240 2x40W 2x12" Just found a guy that sells this but I'm assuming it isn't gonna get me the tone i'm after.

not really unless you rally love the tone of early Death albums. those only have 1 tube in them and it's more of a gimmick then actually useful.
look for a used vypyr tube 60 or a jet city 2212.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
A jet city is a way better option than a valve king. I have a jca50 head, and play the same type of music on it, and it works fine. Just put an overdrive in front of it, and you are set. And 50 watts is more than enough, i never pushed it above 4 i think, and we have an extremely loud drummer. And to top it of, i ordered it from thomman as well.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Keep in mind that there's the VK MkI and VK MkII. The new one is a lot better than the old one but both with the right overdrive sound quite good. The new VK doesn't need the overdrive and they tightened the quality a bit, but both amps are great on a budget, especially if you can find the MkI used.
Quote by diabolical
Keep in mind that there's the VK MkI and VK MkII. The new one is a lot better than the old one but both with the right overdrive sound quite good. The new VK doesn't need the overdrive and they tightened the quality a bit, but both amps are great on a budget, especially if you can find the MkI used.

other than a couple of new features the VK and VK mk2 are the same. have a mk1 and tried the mk 2 when they came out. tone wise and distortion wise they are the same.