We were playing a gig when suddenly the guitar amp crapped out. It won't power on. No lights, no sound, nothing. Fuse looks completely fine. Opened the amp up and nothing looks fried. Any idea what could have happened? The amp is solid state (VOX VT40).
A lot of amps also have an internal fuse, so that's worth checking for. I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything saying where one would be on that model, though I did see mentions of them for related VOX models. Worth taking a look around inside to see if you spot another fuse anywhere. Otherwise I don't know, other than maybe the transformer.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
A lot of amps also have an internal fuse, so that's worth checking for. I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything saying where one would be on that model, though I did see mentions of them for related VOX models. Worth taking a look around inside to see if you spot another fuse anywhere. Otherwise I don't know, other than maybe the transformer.

I thought about it, but I couldn't find it on any wiring schematics online. I might have a look again to see if I can see it.
JJ1994 Did anything smell burnt? Any whisp of smoke when it died?

It could have also been thermal shut down. If the amp has it.
How long did you wait before powering it back on?

A quick Google search shows some of their VT models had a fairly high failure rate. Did it start making weird noises before it went?
Quote by Liaztraht
JJ1994 Did anything smell burnt? Any whisp of smoke when it died?

It could have also been thermal shut down. If the amp has it.
How long did you wait before powering it back on?

A quick Google search shows some of their VT models had a fairly high failure rate. Did it start making weird noises before it went?

None of the above. One second it was playing, and the next we couldn't hear the guitar anymore and all lights were off. No smoke/sounds/irregular occurrences. I don't think it has a thermal shut down either.
Looks like they have issues with poor/cold solder joints. Are you good with a soldering iron? You could reflow all the joints to see if it fixes it.
An example with cold solder joints. They are lumpy and can crack and lose conection.