So, I have my guitar and pedal, but I need cables, which should I get? Keep in mind, my budget is $20. Don't post if you plan on suggesting another product above $20.
Your budget for everything is $20!

You need TWO cables (one from guitar to pedal, one from pedal to guitar), so your budget is $10 each.

Just hit up the local guitar store, tell them what your budget is and go from there. You're unlikely to find "preferences" from this crowd for $10 cables.

That said, it's about time to introduce you to DIY.
I've been building what would qualify as high-end cables forever, by buying cable and ends in bulk and then putting together my own cables. I use Canare or Mogami cable and Neutrik ends, and the results are as good as or better than any of the Lifetime Warranty cables out there. The only issue is that you can't buy "bulk" for $20.
I can't put it any better than dspellman already did. Look around and maybe someone will have some cables on sale. It's not easy to find a good one under $20. My Whirlwind cost over $15 in 1990. Check at some pawn shops, they might have a couple sitting around. I went to a music store in north Louisiana, they had cables they used for their PA rentals that they were replacing, the old ones were in a box for $5 each. I bought about 5, all working perfect 10 years later. never even had to resolder a jack...

The one thing to avoid is the really thin cables with molded plastic jacks. Hate to tell you that, because that's probably all you can get in your price range. Check around though, it's not impossible to find usable cables cheap if you look a little. I've also found usable cables (and other stuff) at yard sales and flea markets. Check your local Craigslist too. And check with local musicians, somebody might have a couple they are willing to part with at a bargain. I've given a couple away when somebody needed one.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hit the bins for instrument cables. Speaker cables are different. Get guitar cables.
Good point, instrument cables should not be used. Different animals.
Yes if you want decent ones. Most standard cables are about 5/16 inch thick wire, you can also get thinner ones, probably in the package with First Act guitars...Usually those have molded plastic jacks rather than metal ones with screw on caps. Ask at a music store, they can show you both. If you have to get the thinner ones, they will work, just don't expect them to last 20 years or more. My Whirlwind is over 20 years old and still works perfect and I've stepped on it dozens of times onstage, even yanked it out of a guitar jack a few times with my foot. The thin molded jacks won't stand up to that kind of abuse. For bedroom practice, they might work fine for a few years. I just had to retire one 3 foot thin cable not long ago that I used for home practice for at least 15 years, but it was never abused onstage. Mostly I used it as a patch cord for pedals or plugged into a tuner.
Might have to go for the thin cables since I'm not gonna be abusing the cable as of now. Just practicing but later down the line I'll get the latter.
i started out with these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/instrument-cables/rapco-roadhog-instrument-cable?rNtt=rapco%20road%20hog&index=1

i would go for at least 12 feet with one, and the other can be shorter if you are trying to cut costs. i wouldn't go shorter than 6 feet. you can get a 6 footer and a 10 footer both for about $23. close to $20 at least.

i make my own cables too. i use BTPA cable and switchraft jacks. in time you will find that the best way to go. for now i would look at the roadhog ones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

Thing is right now I only have a pedal so a long cable would be a little too much but I'm sure I'd get it when I have an amp.
Thing is right now I only have a pedal and that send too long but when I get an amp, I'll get that for sure.
4-5 business days for me (in FL). shipping is free, and no tax. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars there over the last 10+ years. great customer service.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What kind of pedal do you have? Getting cables might be useless depending on whether or not your pedal is a preamp pedal.
That entirely depends on what length of cable would be practical for you. For bedroom use, 10 feet is usually fine, but I wouldn't get anything much shorter than that. Cables that are too short for standing a bit of a distance away from your amp/pedals whilst being too long to be a patch cable are generally not that useful.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 25, 2016,
There's no reason it wouldn't. All 1/4" unbalanced instrument cables are in essence, designed exactly the same way because there's hardly anything to them. You're overthinking this.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Paleo Pete
Good point, instrument cables should not be used. Different animals.
no use instrument cables. They are what we call guitar cords.
Fender are generally good but, i have found that peavey cables work better. Any brand should get you playing though. it doesnt matter too much if they are skinny or fat for the sound. Thats mainly for duability. A good cable has a metal end that unscrews backwards from the tip so you can fix it if it fails. Thats about it. A ten foot cable is about the right length for in the house. Some will have a right angle but the straight ends will fit the most guitars and amps. If you buy online it would be good to get a cable that says it is for guitar. I have a cable that says microphone that wont fit into a guitar but looks the same. Probably just a fluke but thats that.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
All 1/4" unbalanced instrument cables are in essence, designed exactly the same way because there's hardly anything to them. You're overthinking this.
Well not exactly. Speaker cables are 1/4" unbalanced, but not shielded for use as an instrument cable. I've also have a "thin" 1/4" unbalanced cable for use with a foot switch that I presume is unshielded because it is noisy when used as an instrument cable.

The only criteria is that it's labeled an instrument cable. Beyond that it's just how much you want to pay and your perception of the quality you get in return.
I'd recommend nothing less than monsters classic's. But nothing higher than monsters studio
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Live wires aren't bad.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by fly135
Well not exactly. Speaker cables are 1/4" unbalanced, but not shielded for use as an instrument cable. I've also have a "thin" 1/4" unbalanced cable for use with a foot switch that I presume is unshielded because it is noisy when used as an instrument cable.

I already knew that, buddy. We're speaking in the context of instrument cables, not speaker cables here.

Cables used for footswitches are usually shielded and are basically just microphone cable. Only difference between that and guitar cable is mic cable has 2 conductors instead of just 1. I could imagine that's not always the case though, for some reason or another.
The only criteria is that it's labeled an instrument cable. Beyond that it's just how much you want to pay and your perception of the quality you get in return.

There's a lot of cork sniffing and placebo effect going on when it comes to instrument cables. Unless you get very, very cheap shitty cables, you can be assured that you're not going to notice any difference in sound between one cable and another. What you're paying for with what could be considered 'decent' cables are ones that are a bit more durable. Then after that, you're paying purely for the brand name and the absolutely miniscule amount of gold plating on the tip, which unless the inside of your jacks are also gold plated (which virtually none are) that will make absolutely no difference and are purely marketing hype.

I think there's this video on youtube where this guy takes part in an blind test with different instrument cables and he assumes that every cable he used was different from the last one. He was describing one as sounding brighter, then the one immediately after as warmer, another 'more dynamic' etc, when embarrassingly, most of the time the guy doing the experiment kept merely unplugging and plugging back in the exact same cable. I wish I could find it again on YT.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 26, 2016,
Thanks everyone for the suggestion, I've already made my purchase of a cable, strap, and headphone converter. I will keep this thread up for you guys to discuss things.