Over summer vacation a few weeks ago my father in law offered to put up a few dollars towards a new acoustic guitar for me. I have been playing about 3 years all on a Jasmine by Takamine, less than $100 brand new. I have moved way beyond the need for a beginner beater guitar like that. I have poured over guitars online and been to every guitar store within about 50 miles to play guitars, some more than once or twice. I have roughly $800 to spend on a new acoustic, and I have my eye on the Taylor 210 DLX and the Martin DRS2. Both guitars sounded great to me, in fact every guitar I picked up played better than what I already have. I think I would be happy with either guitar, they both come with a hard case. The Martin is all solid body spruce top, sapele back and sides, with a "select hardwood" neck and richlite fretboard and bridge, and satin finish. The Taylor is solid top spruce with layered rosewood sides, all gloss finish. Both guitars sounded pretty good to me. I do like the look of the Taylor more than the Martin, but that doesn't really matter that much to me at all. I would like to get the best sounding guitar for the money as I don't plan on buying another anytime soon, nor do I think I will ever have this much cash to spend again on a guitar for quite some time. I mostly play at home, with a few friends, around the campfire, that sort of thing. Any input thoughts or suggestions? What would you choose in my situation?
Tone and looks are matters of personal preference, but on constructional grounds I would choose the Taylor. This is because they have a a bolt-on neck whose angle is easily adjusted with special shims, whereas the Martin will have a glued joint that is much more difficult to reset. - So any deterioration in the geometry of the instrument due to string tension, resulting in higher action, is easily fixed in the Taylor but not in the Martin. I chose a Bourgeois in part because it has a bolt-on neck.
Awwww....in here putting down your ole Jasmine. Poor thing did all it could for ya for 3 years and now it's just a "beater guitar like that".
For $100 I'd say you got quite the deal. Shit man, I'd have been thrilled if my first was a Jasmine. My first guitar I literally threw on the trash heap and burned, lol. I hope you are planning to hang onto it. Someday you can give it to a friend to learn on and your bangs and scratches will provide inspiration.
It's good that you are asking that kind of question, and not going and buying random guitar

So, those two are solid guitars, but I think that you can find much better ones under $1000.

You can check out my blog post about which guitars I think are the best ones under $1000, and some tips on getting one.

Here is the article: http://acousticgo.com/best-acoustic-guitar-under-1000/

I'd give you the list here as well, but it would make the post too long to read

Hope that helps you
“Music is a necessity. After food, air, water and warmth, music is the next necessity of life.” - Keith Richards
StonesBally
I work in a music shop. Most people (emphasis on most) are either a Martin guy, or a taylor guy. That rare person can play either one, but typically, they have drastically different tones.

Martin's tend to be warmer, darker, muddier guitars. Taylor's tend to be brighter, and crisper. I've played both guitars you've mentioned, and id choose the taylor, but everyone's ear is different. You're getting a high quality instrument either way.

On a side note, I know the 214ce dlx comes with a hardshell case (the non deluxe comes with a bag). Im not sure that the Martin comes with a case. A lot of those mexi Martin's don't have cases with them.
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."
this is exactly the trap i am in as well at present...

but having played both on the Frankfurt Music fair this April my decision was made in favour of the taylor...the Martin impo is not worth the Price difference to the Sigmas...

the taylor was the only guitar i had on the lap that sounded and felt familiar to me like an old friend ...

now i am saving Money which is not too easy in a 5 Person Family...
Quote by schalk70
this is exactly the trap i am in as well at present...

but having played both on the Frankfurt Music fair this April my decision was made in favour of the taylor...the Martin impo is not worth the Price difference to the Sigmas...

the taylor was the only guitar i had on the lap that sounded and felt familiar to me like an old friend ...

now i am saving Money which is not too easy in a 5 Person Family...

If you like Taylor I'd highly recommend the 15/16 scale BigBaby. It plays just as well as the high dollar Taylors, has a fantastic neck, and is just slightly smaller than a regular dreadnaught. You can often find them on Craigslist for $250 or less. I'd also recommend the Taylor 114e. You can get them new for under $600 on Amazon Prime, and they are great guitars.