I would imagine thoughts on this varies based on the pedal, but what are some thoughts on this?

Would you buy a lower serial number over a higher serial number? What are some low serial number prefered pedals?

I've been thinking about this lately because I own a production model Fulltone Fulldrive 3 #49. Fulltone adjusted the circuit to buffered bypass at serial number #2458, making the true bypass version technically out of production. By now I've seen serial numbers over 11,000. Prices of the Fulldrive 3 have fluctuated a lot as well. The black production models came out at $139 USD (I paid $125 used at this time), later dropped to $112, went up to $127 and now sit at $135.15. In general, used prices are pretty low. These things can be had for around $100 pretty easily. However, upon scrounging eBay listings, I haven't found any indication that would make a lower serial number more value. Even the ones before #2458.

But still, I own one of the first 50 production models released into the wild. I consider selling it because I seldom use it, but I don't know if I could bring myself to. It's cool, if not, the coolest piece of gear I own based on the serial number alone.

I own another low serial number pedal. It's an Abominable Electronics Hail Satan Deluxe #59 (it's a Big Muff and Russian Big Muff clone in one box with LED clipping, clean blend, mid EQ, high EQ and a buffer switch). The company is much smaller than Fulltone, having shipped like 3,000 pedals in total. Not quite sure what they're up to for this pedal, but I imagine over 150. I know I'm getting Throne Torcher (HM-2 clone) #420 and it will be green, purple and priceless in my opinion.

I know a lot of people compare OCD versions and say the earlier versions sound better than the later versions. I actually had two v1.4's and I feel like they sounded entirely different and I didn't like the second one as much. I've been curious about the v1.5 since that's allegedly "the best" sounding one according to Mike... but I also hear he's an ass and so maybe his opinion sucks too, lol. People generally have the same feelings about the earlier Fulldrive 2's being the best sounding as well.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band