Eyup chaps and chapettes, been a while since I've been on here.
I'm sure it's been asked 1 billion times before but I need advice on buying a small tube amp (probably used from Ebay or the likes).
I sold a lot of my gear the other year as I was living in an apartment so noise was a big issue, I've now moved into a house and designated half of one room as my "den" so I'm back in business
I've kept my 1x12 cab (has Eminence Texas Heat fitted) so I'm after a small head to compliment it. I'm a big metal fan but I think old age is setting in and I'm after something which has good cleans, I'll probably stick a distortion or od pedal in front of it if I feel the need for some grunt.
An fx loop would be a good but not essential, I'd prefer decent eq as well not just a tone knob but again I'm open minded about this.
Budget is probably up to £150 as I'm a bit skint given the house move

Cheers
Beezerk
Hotone tiny heads, Orange Micro Terror / Micro Dark, (used) Blackstar HT-1 all from Andertons inside your budget. GAK have a 5-watt Randall head for £159.00, and the Peavey Piranha for £166. PMT, Guitar Guitar, Dawsons, Peach, and Gear4Music don't offer anything extra, but I think one of the Hotones was £10 cheaper in Gear4music. If you live near a PMT store, they're having some special 25th anniversary shenanigans this Saturday.
Thanks for the reply mate, I did see those Randall heads and they are supposed to sound snorting but form what I gather they barely do clean.
I had an Orange Micro Terror the other year, sounded a bit too "twangy" for want of a better word.
I think there's a PMT in Newcastle so I may have a wander over on Saturday.
After doing some reading the Blackstar HT5, H&K Tubemeister 5, and a few others seem to get some love. I guess I'm just after a nice sounding tube amp which will accept pedals if needed, it doesn't have to be a metal amp as such, I've had enough of Randall ss gain monsters lol.
The problem is that the amps I listed are generally hybrid or solid state. If you can stretch to £254, PMT has the Bassbreaker 007, might be worth comparing that to the Blackstars if you do make it to the store? It's more than the HT-1, but less than the HT-5, for 7 watts of Fender. See what you can find on eBay and Gumtree though, obviously.
Maybe a tad too much the Fender.
Does anyone rate the Jet City JCA20H?
^ i haven't tried the 20 watter but the 50 watter is awesome. well into "hard to beat for the money" territory.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Beezerk
Does anyone rate the Jet City JCA20H?

I use a JCA50H and it rocks. It's a loud amp, I've yet to turn the volume up over 4. Most the time it sits just below 3, with 2 (2x12" closed back cabs) its insanely loud. My gut says a 20H with one cab or as a combo would rock loud enough for most uses.

I don't use the FX loop much, but I've seen threads that list what works and what doesn't work thru the jetcity FX loops. Looks like it's not as flexible as some other FX loops.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
^ some of them have better fx loops i think. i think the 22 has the better fx loop (but don't quote me on that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just a quick update, I ended up getting the JCA20H earlier for £130 so happy with that.
Sounded great in the blokes house but I haven't had a chance to try her at home yet.
I'm looking at getting a pedal for some metal grunt, would I be better off with an overdrive or distortion pedal?
I used to have a Bad Monkey which I liked but I fancy something different this time.
^ it depends very much on how you're dialling the amp in- i haven't tried the 20, but as far as i'm aware, it's single channel. If you want to dial it in to be your clean tone with the guitar volume at maximum you're probably going to need a distortion pedal (maybe even a distortion and an overdrive for some versatility) to get enough dirt. if you dial the amp in to be your rhythm tone and roll your guitar volume back for cleans, then an overdrive used as a boost might well give you enough dirt.

i like the boss sd1, it's a similar idea to a bad monkey or tubescreamer but has a bit more edge to the tone. only thing is, they have slightly dodgy buffers (which seems to vary pedal by pedal) and you can get some bleed when the pedal is off if you don't have another buffered pedal to put in front of it. Daphon does a clone (often rebranded under other names: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/daphon/e20/e20od#media listed there under "related") that, if mine's anything to go by, seems to have fixed the buffer issue but don't quote me on that. if you're lucky and/or wait for a decent deal on ebay you can sometimes pick them up very cheaply, if you're unlucky it might not be much cheaper than the boss version

or you can try one of the many tubescreamer clones

the discontinued digitech/hardwire tube overdrive is pretty nice and not too dear (were being sold new for £45 before they were discontinued)- they can more or less do the tubescreamer thing, but also have a lot of level boost on tap and have a good eq so they can do a more transparent boost as well. in fact if you're only getting one (overdrive) pedal it might be the thing, if you can find one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would be tempted just to put a timmy up front.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
or a fulldrive 2 mosfet or a fulldrive 3.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ timmy's nice for a more flat-mids type of boost, but it's going to eat into his budget a lot. same with the fulldrive. considering he's trying to keep the cost down... though i guess he could get a cheaper timmy clone.

Quote by Beezerk
Thanks mate, any thoughts on the old MXR Distortion iii?

haven't tried it. a lot of people seem to like it, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies, stuck some new JJ tubes in preamp which has given it more volume, originals must have been pooped. The gain on this thing is much more than I was expecting, specially using a Bill Lawrence L500XL pickup, quite a pleasant surprise. I'm struggling to get a clean tone with the preamp barely turned up lol.
I'm definitely going down the OD pedal route now.
Quote by Beezerk
Thanks for the replies, stuck some new JJ tubes in preamp which has given it more volume, originals must have been pooped. The gain on this thing is much more than I was expecting, specially using a Bill Lawrence L500XL pickup, quite a pleasant surprise. I'm struggling to get a clean tone with the preamp barely turned up lol.
I'm definitely going down the OD pedal route now.

Is it a single channel or 2 channel? I have a JCA20 Combo and a JCA 22 head. Both Soldano designs. Have you changed the power tubes? Different power tubes will break up at different times. The single channel combo I changed the speaker and all the tubes and it made an improvement but still it isn't that clean of an amp as you have to turn the gain up for volume. The JCA22 head is a 2 channel with a master volume so it's a different animal.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)