I haven't tried the QPs.

Godin partnered the 59 with a pair of SD Lipsticks in their Belmont, and it's a nice pairing. Here's one guy's demo.

Beyond that, what's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 25, 2016,
Those lipsticks sound a bit too scooped for me really, need something with more oomph. Looking to spend as little as possible really, can get a quarter pounder for under £50 but could go up to £70 I guess. Was thinking a little 59 in the neck but might be a bit scooped. I swear they used to make a little pearly gates too but I can't find it other than custom shop.
Hey just a recommendation but have you contacted Seymour Duncan directly? I find when pick-up matching it's actually extremely helpful to contact the manufacturer, they know which pups were designed to work well together and honestly it's so easy to make a mistake when matching pick-ups. Having a set that is well balanced is so important in my mind - I'd contact SD and see what they recommend! P.S. the little 59 is a great pup and I don't see it being a poor match for your 59 in the bridge but the mid pick-up will be the toughest to select. I'd be interested to see what Duncan recommends.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Thanks, hadn't considered doing that! The middle pickup is the one I care least about, I never use positions 2 and 4 so I'm thinking I'll swap the wiring round so I can get bridge + neck combination and just having the middle pickup there for the occasions when I want it. I was thinking maybe just putting my old tele neck pickup in mid position.

EDIT: I see you have a little 59 in your Jackson, I'm assuming neck position? How is it?
I do, it's a wonderful pick-up and very versatile and seems to pair really well with strat-style guitars especially (alder, basswood, maple) type bodies. It's completely silent, very fat and round sounding. Gives you that buttery smooth sound for solos. Seymour Duncan describes it as a PAF voiced pick-up in single coil size. It really does have some PAF characteristic to it but cuts through the mix a lot better and that's likely due to the treble emphasis they reference in relation to a traditional PAF. Works well for both rhythm and lead, beautiful on cleans and eats gain very well. Very impressed with the clarity it provides on rhythm with a distorted signal. It still has that low-end sound that you're used to in a neck pup but doesn't get muddy easily which is why I like it.
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by korinaflyingv
Sounds very much like the full size 59 in bridge position the way you describe it. I'll give SD an email and read some more reviews but I'm definitely leaning towards a little 59 at the moment. Thanks for your help.

Anytime! Would love to see what SD says throw a post down when they do!

Cheers

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
If you want actual singlecoils, Tesla's OPUS S1 deliver a nice tone at affordable prices. I had them installed in a custom HSS guitar.

http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=opus-s1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Hmmm...

On the upper end of your budget are Rio Grande Dirty Harry & Dirty Harry Jr. That pickup line is their take on P90 tone in various sizes- HB, singlecoil Strat, singlecoil Tele, etc., and P90 = beefier.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry-jr
http://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry

This guy is comparing the Dirty Harry to a SD Phat Cat. (Spoiler: he rejects the Dirty Harry because it sounds too much like the Phat Cat and not enough like a typical Telecaster bridge pickup. )

These vids demo unknown Rio Grandes, included just for quality exemplars.

Another option comes from the UK's own The Creamery. They also make killer singlecoil-sized P90s.
http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/custom-handwound-stratocaster-replacement-pickups.html#custom-strat

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2016,
If you don't really use the middle position what about getting a HH pick guard and a full size H pickup for the neck? Maybe another '59?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Those dirty harries are very good. I replaced a quarter pounder in the bridge of a tele with one. QP's have a P90 vibe to them but it wasn't P90'ey enough for me. So I threw in a dirty harry and it is very much P90 toned. P90 with a splash of Fender single coil thrown in.
And No, a QP won't drown out a 59. It'd work pretty well I'd think.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by metalmingee
If you don't really use the middle position what about getting a HH pick guard and a full size H pickup for the neck? Maybe another '59?

I would love to, been GASing after a HH strat for a number of years, this guitar doesn't have a pickguard though unfortunately. I have been considering maybe making one for it though eventually.
Quote by Cathbard
Those dirty harries are very good. I replaced a quarter pounder in the bridge of a tele with one. QP's have a P90 vibe to them but it wasn't P90'ey enough for me. So I threw in a dirty harry and it is very much P90 toned. P90 with a splash of Fender single coil thrown in.
And No, a QP won't drown out a 59. It'd work pretty well I'd think.

I have P90s in another guitar and while they're great distorted I find them a bit bland clean, so imitating a p90 isn't really a priority. Good to hear a QP won't drown it out. I don't know to what extent different brands have their own sound? I have Dimarzios in my tele and they sound quite different to any clips of SD tele pickups I've heard. Just wondering if a QP would be a more natural mix with a 59.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm...

On the upper end of your budget are Rio Grande Dirty Harry & Dirty Harry Jr. That pickup line is their take on P90 tone in various sizes- HB, singlecoil Strat, singlecoil Tele, etc., and P90 = beefier.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry-jr
http://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry

This guy is comparing the Dirty Harry to a SD Phat Cat. (Spoiler: he rejects the Dirty Harry because it sounds too much like the Phat Cat and not enough like a typical Telecaster bridge pickup. )

Another option comes from the UK's own The Creamery. They also make killer singlecoil-sized P90s.
http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/custom-handwound-stratocaster-replacement-pickups.html#custom-strat

Wasn't a big fan of the Dirty Harry in that video, a bit muffled sounding but it's certainly got enough midrange. Is there anywhere that sells the Dirty Harry in the UK? I hadn't considered The Creamery, I remembered their pickups being a lot more expensive than they actually are. Could certainly stretch my budget to one of those, I've only heard good things.
I am thinking Quarter Pounds might be too mid-heavy and way-too-high output here. I'd look into the Alnico II singles for a darker sound without the huge output bump- it is a good mix with the 59s. Stacks like the Classic Stack Plus have a nice bottom end, but they are scooped like the 59.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I don't know who sells Rio Grandes- or most pickups- anywhere. I usually just order direcly from the manufacturer.

The Creamery are good, I have a HB/HB-sized P90 set in a custom build, and they are jaw-droppers.

Finally, Rio Grande, The Creamery, and Vintage Vibe are all custom winders to a greater or lesser degree. I'm quite happy with my VV Tele and
Charlie Christian pickups. VV might be a tad pricier than The Creamery.

Based on my experiences with all three, t I don't think you'd regret the cost of any of these.

A final option might be Bareknuckle. I don't recall seeing any custom options, but they make good pickups- my Nantucket P90s should be shipping soon- and may have a product already in their line that fits your requirements.

Quote by Mincer
I am thinking Quarter Pounds might be too mid-heavy and way-too-high output here. I'd look into the Alnico II singles for a darker sound without the huge output bump- it is a good mix with the 59s. Stacks like the Classic Stack Plus have a nice bottom end, but they are scooped like the 59.

There's one demo on youtube where the alnico ii definitely sounds like something that would be acceptable to me. Will that be fairly balanced output-wise with the 59? I am worried it would be a bit of a step down when I switch to the neck. What's your experience of how it sounds in combination with the 59? (I'm planning on switching the wiring around so position 2 is neck + bridge)
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't know who sells Rio Grandes- or most pickups- anywhere. I usually just order direcly from the manufacturer.

The Creamery are good, I have a HB/HB-sized P90 set in a custom build, and they are jaw-droppers.

Finally, Rio Grande, The Creamery, and Vintage Vibe are all custom winders to a greater or lesser degree. I'm quite happy with my VV Tele and
Charlie Christian pickups. VV might be a tad pricier than The Creamery.

Based on my experiences with all three, t I don't think you'd regret the cost of any of these.

A final option might be Bareknuckle. I don't recall seeing any custom options, but they make good pickups- my Nantucket P90s should be shipping soon- and may have a product already in their line that fits your requirements.

Thanks for your help. Can't be arsed ordering from the US but The Creamery one interests me, as does the Bareknuckle Slow hand.
Good luck & happy tone hunting!

honestly id look at gfs or dragonfire. no point in putting great pickups in that guitar man.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The 59 is scooped, with a big bass and treble. The Alnico IIs have more mids, balancing it out. If regular singles have too much high end and they are piercing, I usually recommend Alnicos, and it solves the problem well. One of my favorite singles (I also like the Five Two).

Quote by korinaflyingv
There's one demo on youtube where the alnico ii definitely sounds like something that would be acceptable to me. Will that be fairly balanced output-wise with the 59? I am worried it would be a bit of a step down when I switch to the neck. What's your experience of how it sounds in combination with the 59? (I'm planning on switching the wiring around so position 2 is neck + bridge)
Dave @ Seymour Duncan