Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with these amps to provide some input. I've been in the market for a new amp, something larger than my OR15 for enough clean headroom and really to be my main amp. I'm loving the OR15 for smaller occasions, volume is not a problem when crunch/gain is required but, running a pedal driven sound pretty easily runs you into a brick wall with the clean headroom available. This is of course great for the home and studio use but obviously a little less versatile when it comes to playing with the band/live.

I plan to get a matching 4x12 for whichever head I end up going with, I have to say I pretty much enjoy all the Orange/Mesa/Marshall cabs. They all have some different flavors but I find them all really well built and great sounding.

I actually haven't found really many professional reviews out there on the JVM205H which I find a little strange, and in fact the same for the 1987x. These two are of particular interest to me because I think the 50 watts is really just about the right power level for me. 100 watts might be overkill slightly, but certainly not unusable by any stretch of the means, I will still be able to let the amp breath in any of my playing situations so the JVM410H is not out of the question, but I do prefer a little bit of simplicity over complexity and there is a LOT going on with that 410H.

Obviously the Rockerverb is an interesting option as well, but it is priced higher than the JVM205H and about the same price as the 410H. Definitely have a unique sound but, to be honest, I find it very similar in character to what comes out of the OR15 (it's certainly better I have no qualms admitting that) and would like to veer away from orange because of that for my next head to give myself a bit of variety.

The Mesa Mark 5:35 and JP-2C are also of interest to me, but I have to say I have pretty limited experience when it comes to the MESA amps, I know their cabs quite well but I have never owned a Mesa and am fairly unfamiliar with them. The 35 interests me because it's a bit of a lower watt option that MAY offer JUST enough clean headroom potentially and obviously the portability factor is a bit increased which is nice. Certainly it's a feature packed amp though and I'm a bit more of a quality over quantity guy. I'm slightly weary of amps with THIS much packed into one box. The JP-2C, I threw this in here as another Mesa option of interest to me, not sure what to think of it to be honest but just open to anyone sharing there experience with this head. Why not.

Final note: Finding professional reviews on Marshall heads is odd. There just isn't much out there, which I find extremely strange. There are a gadzillion reviews on orange heads, mesa heads, soldano etc. with other pro's demoing them, providing their feedback and recommendations. When it comes to the Marhsall it's like a black void. Anyone else notice this? I don't rely on these reviews to make my purchase, I rely on my own ear at the end of the day, but I do like to check them out because often times they will think of something regarding the amp that I may not have thought of before trying it out so it's kind of useful as a primer.

Here are some details on my playing style/price range/guitars and pedals so you know my general set-up:

Price Range: No limit here. I'm willing to spend what's required to get what is best for me, this will be a lifetime amp for me, $3000-4000? No sweat!
Playing Style/Genres: 70s/80s rock/metal/hair metal, neo-classical, funky metal, blues rock and alternative rock. I also do like to dive into some crystal cleans as well.
Pedal board at this time (it's growing): Vox Satchurator distortion pedal, BOSS Super Chorus CH1, NS-2 Noise Suppressor, GE7 Equalizer, Fulltone Fatboost,, DM-2W Delay. (I recently shed my wah, octaver, volume pedal/phaser and plan to replace these very soon).
Guitars: My custom strat (Seymour Duncan YJM pups), '85 re-issue USA Baretta (Gibson 500T bridge), '90 Jackson Fusion Pro customized (JB bridge, vintage rails in the mid and little 59' in the neck).
Playing time: I run my stuff hard and often, I play 5 hours a day, so reliability is pretty important to me. So is serviceability, I am confident in power/preamp tube replacement as long as biasing is not required, when biasing is required I really need a tech to be able to service the head. Anything like filter caps replacement etc is completely not in my realm of ability so it's important that I can reliably get service over the years on the amp.

Interested in what you all have to say! Let me know if I forgot to mention something.

Cheers,
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
of all those genres you said you played, do you play some more than others or is it a more or less even spread?

the other thing is that with $3000-$4000, unless you only have the room for one amp, if you play a wide range of stuff getting a couple or three amps may well cover more ground more authentically than one super-amp (though super-amps are awesome as well).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
of all those genres you said you played, do you play some more than others or is it a more or less even spread?

I'd say the 80s metal & Virtuoso (including the neoclassical) type stuff makes up a good 65% chunk of what I play. The funky metal really fits into that genre as well in terms of the tone just less effects on that stuff it's just more of a plugged straight in sound but it's about the same mid-gain level. The blues Rock and Alternative Rock is just sort of the other flavors of the 70s/80s that honestly I just can't pick a genre for, you know, great bands, with great guitar, that weren't metal bands and weren't AC DC/Aerosmith? Like think XTC, still considered rock I suppose, or crowded house...I feel like Andy Timmons' variety over his career really is a good example of the sort of varieties I love, like think Danger Danger Timmons to today Timmons, if that helps
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
When I was looking for a "do just about everything and do it all well" amp I ended up with a Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster. This thing isn't your basic Dual Rec. . .

Up front, with all of the different tones you're after, simplicity is not the first thing that comes to mind.

The Roadster is a 4 channel amp with 7 available modes with several duplicated for different settings.

Channel 1 - Clean, Fat, Tweed (Clean and Fat are from the Mark I) Tweed is unique to the Roadster I believe or maybe borrowed from the Lonestar.

Channel 2 - Clean, Fat, Brit (Brit is unique to the Roadster -- think Plexi here)

Channel 3 - Raw, Vintage, Modern (From the 2 Channel Dual Rec)

Channel 4 - Raw, Vintage, Modern (put with a different Presence taper)

Lush Spring Reverb from the Lonestar.

Power Section is 4x Either 6L6 or EL34 but 50W or 100W mode per channel and a global Bold/Spongy Variac. Reverb, Effects Loop are both assignable by Channel as well.

Reverb, FX Loop, Tuner Mute and Solo Volume features via footswitch.

It's well within budget, especially used.

If you want more Power Tube and Speaker Cab Output options all assignable per channel (like running 6L6 on channel 3 but EL34 on channel 2 or combinations of 6L6 and EL34 at the same time) look at the RoadKing II.

Check it out!

I'd also add an Engl PowerBall II to your list if you want something a bit more different.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Personally I'd be be getting the Mesa JPIIC+. Very versatile amps.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
JS_StarOcean

Do you just want to run the amp clean with pedals in front? Because the Mesas that have been discussed have multiple channels and voicings, that might be wasted if you just sit on the clean channel.
JP-2c. I have a mark v, jp-2c, triple rec and a jvm410h. JP-2c is the 2nd most flexible (to the mark v) but far and away has the best tone. For a single, lifetime pick, it'd be mine. Only downside is that it doesn't do marshall sounds fantastically, but it does American metal better than anything.

Would also recommend a mesa roadster or road king, have heard great things about them. Dual/triple recs tend to have fantastic rhythm tone, but I can never get a clean or lead tone I love
i don't like the JVM's. if you want something marshally, get a splawn.

rockerverbs are just flat out awesome, i would get one of those too (the 50 mkI is my favorite).

last but not least, i would look for a mesa mark.

you would be covered.

also may want to look into fryette, rivera, engl, and bogner.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by metalmingee
When I was looking for a "do just about everything and do it all well" amp I ended up with a Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster. This thing isn't your basic Dual Rec. . .

I'll have to do some looking into these Road King's and Roadsters, I've never plugged into one, I've plugged in to a regular Dual rectifier and have to say it wasn't me. I'll have to give the Roadster a try. Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote by tfizzle20
JP-2c. I have a mark v, jp-2c, triple rec and a jvm410h. JP-2c is the 2nd most flexible (to the mark v) but far and away has the best tone. For a single, lifetime pick, it'd be mine. Only downside is that it doesn't do marshall sounds fantastically, but it does American metal better than anything.

Would also recommend a mesa roadster or road king, have heard great things about them. Dual/triple recs tend to have fantastic rhythm tone, but I can never get a clean or lead tone I love

How would you compare the JP-2C to the JVM410H? They're very different beasts but having played them for a while since you own them anything you can comment on in terms of reliability and noise? Anything the JVM410H does specifically better than the JP-2C ? Anything the JVM410H is horrible for in your opinion?

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't like the JVM's. if you want something marshally, get a splawn.

rockerverbs are just flat out awesome, i would get one of those too (the 50 mkI is my favorite).

last but not least, i would look for a mesa mark.

you would be covered.

also may want to look into fryette, rivera, engl, and bogner.

What was it you didn't like about the JVMs? Did you own a 410/205 at some point? Anything you'd like to add about the Rockerverb? My current experience with Orange is that tonally it's completely distinct, which is awesome, but certainly not the most versatile. The last time I plugged into a Rockerverb I got a similar impression, it's not a bad thing but, since I already have an Orange head that I can add into the mix during studio time I'm thinking of going a different route.

So far I'm getting a lot of recommendations on the Mesa amps, surprisingly not much love on the Marshall's so far. Anyone have anything to add regarding the reliability of these different heads? Any owners who have had some service experience with the head (how easy is it to get service if something beyond your technical ability goes wrong etc.).

Cheers

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
a lot of the 80s stuff is either hot rod marshally (doesn't have to be marshall-branded, a lot of companies make hot-rodded marshall style amps) or soldano. so something along those lines might be worth a look. i haven't tried the marks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a lot of the 80s stuff is either hot rod marshally (doesn't have to be marshall-branded, a lot of companies make hot-rodded marshall style amps) or soldano. so something along those lines might be worth a look. i haven't tried the marks.

You know what I didn't even think of Soldano, but you're right. I didn't think of them because I'm thinking "ok, the SLO-100 is absolute pure overkill" because I played one of those and, I'm pretty sure it's the loudest amp I've ever played in my life. Probably due to the sheer explosion of searing high-end that thing has. Awesome for soloing.....obviously. Basically the most expensive amp on the planet I think also haha. But honestly it's the only Soldano I'm really familiar with. I don't have any experience with the Decatone, Avenger or Lucky13 heads. Anyone ever used/owned any of these? Decatone seems to be their 'multi-trick' pony. Hard to demo these amps I don't have any dealers near me that stock Soldano I don't think.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Here is my 2 cents.

I wouldn't want to talk anyone out of a SLO but maybe also take a look at the Hot Rod 50/Avenger 50. Hell of an amp. It is basically a SLO without the clean channel so you'd need a clean amp for your cleans. I played the Hot Rod but the Avenger has an effects loop.

The JVM is just not a great amp for the price you pay. I'd rather have a DSL. I know many people that own JVMs though and absolutely love it. Not my thing at all. Too complex and too many options for me. OD1 in Green mode sounds pretty good to my ears but the rest of the amp just has this contrived fake distortion sound I can't get past. Yes they do need to be cranked up and yes I cranked it. I've played the 410/210/205 on 6 or 7 different occasions - all different amps so it wasn't the same amp over and over again. If I had to get a JVM it would be the 205H. Steer clear of the JVM if you really want a Marshall though. You'd be better off with a DSL or 6100 or an old JTM/JCM.

For what you play and the versatility that you desire a Splawn Quick Rod might be the way to go. I love mine and I was on the hunt for that modded Marshall hot rodded JCM800 kind of tone with a great clean channel and a great effects loop. Now the cleans on the QR are not super lush or bell like or fender like or anything like that but they are clean and they stay clean and take pedals very well. Also built like a brick shithouse - which you won't find in the Marshalls. The Quick Rod can also get very heavy for a more modern high gain sound. They are super articulate almost to a fault. If you make a lot of mistakes (like I do) everyone of them will shine through. No cover ups. It will make you a better player. Good for Country up to Modern Metal like I said but excels in the 80's 0 90's hard rock space. You can find them used starting at around $1,000 USD - so that's a plus too.

I've played the Rockerverbs several times and although I really enjoy it for it is - I can kind of concur with your analysis on them.

I've also played the 1987x reissue Plexi and all I can say is stay away. They do not have the quality to price ratio that I'd look for. I find build quality issues with these just like the JVMs. Although there are some really nice clips out there.

I don't have as much experience with the Mesa Marks but the 5:35 and JP-2C would be hella awesome. Just depends on if it is the right tone for you. I'm just not sure you'd be happy with the distortion tone for what you are looking for but they are not bad by any means and can certainly pull it off. Just a personal preference thing. I have a Mesa Rectoverb BTW and it really excels at what it does. The distortion is beefier and grittier than the Splawn and the cleans are nicer too. It is its own beast. I run it with EL34s for a slightly tighter midrange and I'm usually in modern or sometimes vintage mode. See if you can't find a used Mark IV somewhere to play as you can probably find one in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. Pretty much can't go wrong with a Roadster/Road King.

Now, with all that said, I highly recommend looking into used amps. You can find some great amps for maybe half the cost. I paid $1,400 for my Quick Rod say 5 yeasr ago and I paid $490 for my Rectoverb. Point being - my bases are covered for less than the cost of some of these amps new. The quality of both is such that I don't need to worry about warranties.

I see you are in Ontario. Have you looked at your Craigslist? I see a Rockerverb 50 Mk1, a Mesa Royal Atlantic, a JSX combo, and several Fender Twins/Deluxes. Also take a look at Traynor amps. They are made in Canada so you should get a really good deal. The YCV50B, YCS80 and the old YBAs are great amps that have the tone you are looking for.

As far as finding clips and such have you looked at tonefinder.com?

http://www.tonefinder.com/?search=JVM

happy hunting
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 26, 2016,
311ZOSOVHJH

Thank you very much for this comprehensive reply and all your suggestions! Definitely a lot to digest there and I am really happy to hear some detail on the JVM. From what you say sounds like they really missed on those, Marshall's apparently seem to be missing on a lot of things these days, it's so disappointing. I haven't plugged into one yet but now I'm REALLY curious just to see how lackluster it is based on this feedback.

I'll have to look into the Splawn, you're the fourth person that's mentioned them to me and I have to say I've been wholly unfamiliar with them until now (probably much more name recognition in the U.S.). I'd be a fool not to give some of these a try.

Sounds like overwhelmingly the Mesa options are much beloved so I'm really going to need to dig in and seriously demo practically their entire line-up it seems haha. That's gonna be a fun day...

Tonefinder is awesome, wasn't even aware of that site. Many thanks again for all your suggestions.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
I'm biased, but I think the Mark series from Mesa are some of the best of the best. You can do a LOT with them.

I really liked the JVMs I've tried, and I think their tone would work out okay for the more 80s sounding stuff. A JCM2000 DSL would still be my go to over the JVM for that sound, but I had no problem with the JVM.

I also really liked the Vintage Modern come to think of it. Single channel but that channel can do quite a bit.

I'm also a big fan of Krank. The Nineteen80 is a bit rough around the edges, but that's part of the charm. Really heavy, gnarly sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i like the mkIV a lot. i actually prefer the lead channel to the mkV's, but the mkV's have better cleans.

as far as not liking the JVM, i messed with the 410 for a while, i couldn't get a tone that i liked good enough to even consider one. i would take a DSL over them everyday too. the JVM is also IMO wayyyy overpriced. for what they sell for you can get sooo much better.

as far as the rockerverb, i use it for stoner/doom type stuff, and i love it. orange is a category of its own IMO. the rockerverbs also have nice cleans. the reverb is pretty lush on them too. stick a fuzz or OD out front of it, and you will move entire mountains with the volume up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 to Splawn QR if you go the Marshall route, +1 to Road King for the ability to tweak literally, not figuratively, literally every major control you might need on an amp. Mesa over engineers everything, so reliability is one of their strengths, plus they have enough service centers around that if something does go wrong there's support.

Personally i prefer the singular tone of my QR to the Mesa, but not by much.

Something to consider is Mesa amps have their bias set with a fixed resistor, whereas Marshalls and most of their copies have a variable resistor, meaning of course you'll need to at least check the bias each time you change power tubes.

Have you looked at Diezel amps as well?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Aug 26, 2016,
In my opinion any chance you have to own a Mesa JP-2C makes getting anything else almost unthinkable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 26, 2016,
How would you compare the JP-2C to the JVM410H? They're very different beasts but having played them for a while since you own them anything you can comment on in terms of reliability and noise? Anything the JVM410H does specifically better than the JP-2C ? Anything the JVM410H is horrible for in your opinion?

Very, very different amps. JVM410h in OD1 mode does a pretty good JCM800 imitation, but doesn't quite dial in as perfectly. The two high gain modes are solid, but unspectacular (they can give you a megadeth like, really aggressive mid-y tone, but not a lot of other 80s metal tones). I've had a harder time getting a lead sound I like. Their clean channel is marshall's attempt at Boogie/Fender cleans. It's actually good, but not as good as Boogie/Fender.

The JP-2C is my perfect 80s metal tone. I throw an overdrive in front to boost and it nails the metallica rhythm tones (as well it should). You can't quite go up to some modern metal super aggressive rhythm tones (it's not going to be a dual rec for you) but it can get pretty close. Definitely go listen to Petrucci's demo video of it; it's fantastic. Only thing it can't do is the JCM800 Marshall tones. Its cleans are the best of any amp I've owned. I've A/B'ed it with my IIc+ and they sound almost identical (I think the JP-2c is a little higher gain then my iic+ but...it's a iic+, so they're all a bit different). That being said, the JP-2c is so much easier to control, I only pull out my IIc+ for when I know I only want one channel.

I'd say the JVM is quite a bit noisier, you're going to want a noise gate. I've found the JP-2c to be pretty good, but when I switch over to lead I tend to need the noise gate (I have mine set up like Petrucci's right now, with a couple tweaks).

As far as reliability...I have had 5 boogies, never had one fail on me. Their customer service is fantastic as well (I had to call them to register my JP-2c and have only heard good things about them). Haven't had the JVM fail out in any way either, so I wouldn't give marks against it either.

Honestly, if I were in your situation, I'd go with the JP-2c and then if in a couple years you feel like you need a complimentary amp, pick up a JCM800.
In my opinion any chance you have to own a Mesa JP-2C makes getting anything else almost unthinkable.

To sum up long post ^ this
Quote by JS_StarOcean
You know what I didn't even think of Soldano, but you're right. I didn't think of them because I'm thinking "ok, the SLO-100 is absolute pure overkill" because I played one of those and, I'm pretty sure it's the loudest amp I've ever played in my life. Probably due to the sheer explosion of searing high-end that thing has. Awesome for soloing.....obviously. Basically the most expensive amp on the planet I think also haha. But honestly it's the only Soldano I'm really familiar with. I don't have any experience with the Decatone, Avenger or Lucky13 heads. Anyone ever used/owned any of these? Decatone seems to be their 'multi-trick' pony. Hard to demo these amps I don't have any dealers near me that stock Soldano I don't think.

i tried an avenger ages ago and really liked it. that's the only one i've tried (no dealer here, I just got lucky and happened to be in a shop which had one second-hand). i've got a jet city which is more or less a cheaper hot rod i think and i really like it too. it sort of has a clean channel, it's more of a crunch really.

the cae od100 is meant to be very good for the hot rod marshall thing combined with a fendery clean channel, but i haven't ever been able to try one. they have a few different models too with differing amounts of gain i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BCKRedBaron
The road king does look unreal - might be too much going on for me though, need to try to get my hands on a splawn and try one out.

tfizzle20
Thanks for all the detail here I appreciate it. Really amazing to hear about how uninspiring the JVM is to everyone, sounds like Marshall really missed in that one. As for the JP-2C and JCM800 dual purchase....now you've got me intrigued that does sound like the perfect combination. Hell I could use one head as a dummy at any given time for my stereo delay. Certainly would terrify venues. Thank you also for commenting on the reliability and service experience you've had with the Mesa stuff, really good to know. The JP-2C has climbed to the top of my "time to demo" list!

Dave_Mc
Same thing here no one stocks Soldano, too hard to sell I guess, but I do have a dealer they just never have stock. Maybe I'll see if I can convince them to order something.

Ok well I've got a lot of suggestions to work with here thank you all ! I've decided it's demo time! I'm going to start demoing these monsters of Rock and let's see what I walk away with haha. Based on what I've heard/played myself and the recommendations from you fine folks this is the hunting order I'll be heading out with:

JP-2C - this got a ton of love here it's at the top of my list. Petruccis demo was very convincing. The wattage flexibility is also very useful.

JCM800 - this thing will nail the 80s, but will it be enough for everything else? I'm curious. I am always attracted to the simple amp.

Splawn Quick Rod - I'm intrigued, this may require a quick flight down south but that's not out of the question, I have some family I can pretend to visit when really I'll be there to try a splawn QR. now just how to get it back through customs ...

JVM410/205 - I just have to try this, I'm prepared to be entirely disappointed.

Orange Rockerverb - I've already played this guy a lot, but once I have my favourite of the above I'll have to A/B it.

Mesa Road King - well I already think this amp is too much amp for my tastes but, I'm just going to have to try one. It may steal me away entirely.

Thank you all again for the recommendations. I'll post my results! Might take a little while to hunt all these down and properly demo them.

Cheers

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
That's a heckuva list there. Good luck on your search. Just a couple notes: hit the JCM800 with an OD and you'll have enough gain to cover all your bases. And early in this thread metalmingee mentioned the Roadster, which is basically the same amp as the Road King, just simplified a tad. Might be a good one to look for instead.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Good luck and let us know what you end up going with! (And why, I haven't had the chance to A/B some of those amps)
JS, you say the Road King is a bit much, how about the Roadster? Cheaper, it's MOST of a Road King, with just a couple of the more extraneous features left out.

But that's a good list, and I'm sure you're bound to find something you like with all of that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.