I have a JB laying around, I've been thinking about swapping it from the 498.I've read probably 8/10 others say its "dark" "muddy" "better for highs than low chords" I like the 498, but will there be a noticeable difference?

Looking just to see what differences there are with O/D

Thanks!
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
They get mixed reports. I'm on the "nay" side, it sounded muddy in my Westone 335 knockoff, which is a very dark-sounding guitar when amplified. It might be OK in a brighter guitar. It did sound OK in parallel and single mode though. However, I don't like the covered humbuckers I've tried, so it might be better than your 498.
If it's just 'laying around' then why not just see for yourself?

JB's are strange. How good they sound is very dependent on what guitar you're putting them in, Some complain they can sound too muddy, others complain they sound way too bright, some say they sound too honky, others say they sound too scooped. Some say they sound great. I've had positive experiences with the JB in my Jackson DK2M though. There's no way to know how good it is in your guitar without actually putting it in your guitar.

I personally don't like the 490 pickups as they really are too muddy for my tastes no matter what guitar you put them in.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 26, 2016,
Yea the worst thing that could happen is Mr not liking it, I just wanted to see if anybody has had any luck thats all. But yea if i don't like it, ill throw the 498 back in ?
Marshall DSL40c
yeah if you can be bothered you might as well try it. i have one in an edwards and it sounds pretty good if you're after a hard rock type of tone that doesn't need to be too tight on the bass. i'd prefer something a bit lower output in that style of guitar but i haven't got round to swapping it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didn't mind a JB in my old SG, but haven't tried it in a LP style guitar. That being said I loved the Custom 5 in one of my old LPs.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Well my experience was a positive one, sounds good, definitely more mids,other than that I can honestly say(my personal opinion) if I would have known the outcome, I would have just kept the 498, but again, not disappointed ? I will say this, I actually wound up lowering my bass on my amp, but on a clean channel with reverb, just wow! ? well there ya have it, all mahogany body, JB in the bridge,id say 9/10 only because it sounds identical to the 498
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Aug 27, 2016,
haha, well at least you know
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?