I would like to setup in ears for a band of 5 members. I will use cubase to run backing tracks, and individual mixes for each members with an interface. The trick here is, i would like to run 5 separate stereo mixes, which seems impossible to me. My interface, (presonus firepod) has the capability to send 4 stereo outputs (8 outputs total = 4 stereo outs).

What do i need in order to run 5 stereos outs?
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by player o slayer
I would like to setup in ears for a band of 5 members. I will use cubase to run backing tracks, and individual mixes for each members with an interface. The trick here is, i would like to run 5 separate stereo mixes, which seems impossible to me. My interface, (presonus firepod) has the capability to send 4 stereo outputs (8 outputs total = 4 stereo outs).

What do i need in order to run 5 stereos outs?

5 separate headphone mixes will require one of many headphone distribution systems. I have used the Aviom and Behringer extensively and they will get it done but they are pricey. Two separate mixes are much easier to do and you give each musician a choice. Mix A or mix B? To run IEMs you will also need to mic all the live instruments and send them to a mixer so that players can get "more of me" as needed. It requires a lot of setup and sound check time which works great for in-house or full tour but gets cumbersome when gigging local and regional events.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c452--Headphone_Amps_and_Distribution
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 26, 2016,
Why does it need to be stereo? I'm sure it'd be nice to have 3D sound, but there's really no reason you need that when it comes to monitoring. It would be an absolute nightmare trying to mix two channels for each of five people - that's 10 mixes! You'd end up setting the two channels even to save effort, which defeats the purpose of stereo output.

I've used in ears on stage before and can tell you that while they are good and often necessary, they're also a pain in the ass. For that reason, I'd suggest keeping the monitor situation as simple as possible to save yourself the headaches of mic-ing and mixing so much sound.
Quote by cdgraves
Why does it need to be stereo? I'm sure it'd be nice to have 3D sound, but there's really no reason you need that when it comes to monitoring. It would be an absolute nightmare trying to mix two channels for each of five people - that's 10 mixes! You'd end up setting the two channels even to save effort, which defeats the purpose of stereo output.

I've used in ears on stage before and can tell you that while they are good and often necessary, they're also a pain in the ass. For that reason, I'd suggest keeping the monitor situation as simple as possible to save yourself the headaches of mic-ing and mixing so much sound.

Only mics necessary are drum mics. Line 6 pod hd prox, and my bassists direct out from his amp will be going into an interface.

If i got a Scarlett 18i20 with its 10 outputs in the back, would i be able to just connect the wireless transmitters from there? Do all the routing and mixing in cubase.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by player o slayer
Only mics necessary are drum mics. Line 6 pod hd prox, and my bassists direct out from his amp will be going into an interface.

I'd recommend -against- two things:
1) Running any guitar/bass through the mains that hasn't been through an actual amplifier. Mic or direct, it needs to be an amplified signal.

2) Making your set up based on the preferences of your current players. That's not to call your bandmates flakes or anything, but stuff happens, and you don't want to make big adjustments every time.

But the point isn't about microphones vs direct, it's that stereo mixing for in-ear monitors is likely impractical, unless you guys are doing well enough to pay for a sound person who doesn't mind doing all that.

Edit:

Third thing I'd recommend against: relying on software in performance. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't trust regular consumer-grade computers. There's a famous video of Bill Gates demonstrating a new version of Windows for the press, and the system immediately crashes on live television, and it pretty much defines the computer experiences I've had. The more you can do with hardware, the better.
Last edited by cdgraves at Aug 27, 2016,
Wait. You want to do 5 discrete stereo IEM mixes and have them all wireless? That is probably $10k in gear just for the monitors. What are you using for house sound? This is the kind of system you rent, with sound techs to handle the setup and mix. You don't want to own this system.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 28, 2016,
I agree with Cajundaddy. Unless you have big money to spend on a real pro IEM system you are looking a major investment. You also will need someone dedicated to doing that job and supervising mixes. I think what you are proposing is a very difficult thing to do well on a limited budget system. I think you are better off buying five decent powered monitors (I suggest you all decide on one type of monitor and make each band member responsible for buying his own monitor and transporting it to a gig and setting it up.).

If you have a good main PA system already some normal monitors should do it at a fraction of the cost of IEM systems. Let the band learn to balance their on-stage sound before even thinking about an IEM system. I also found when using the IEM systems you severely limit your ability to interact on stage with your fellow musicians. You restrict your ability to just walk over and talk to each other.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.