Page 1 of 2
Hello. I just recently started playing guitar on my acoustic then switched to my first electric, a ESP LTD Viper 100fm, thanks to people in this community, I found it and I love it. Reason I decided to get into playing guitar was my love for music, and my wanting to embrace it. I'm still a beginner, but I'm on the path to increase my skill.

This is for you guys, it's a question and a discussion I'd like to hear from you (only if you feel comfortable sharing). What motivated you to start? What instruments? And how far have you come?

Thank you. And this thread also serves for newcomers who can hear other stories, and how it may motivate them as well.
Last edited by TheArmoredBat at Aug 27, 2016,
Quote by TheArmoredBat
What motivated you to start?

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I started with trumpet when I was 7 years old. I don't remember exactly why I chose trumpet. Maybe it had to do with the fact that my dad used to play trumpet when he was younger and also the fact that we already had an old trumpet (don't know why we had it - nobody really played it). Well, playing an instrument was something I have always kind of took for granted because my mom is a professional musician (she used to teach music theory and now plays organ in church) and my big brother played the flute. So I wanted to start playing an instrument too - it just felt like the right thing to do because everybody in my family played/had played an instrument.

When I was 12, I got interested in playing the bass. We learned some really basic stuff on bass/guitar in school and I just thought it was cool. I also got interested in rock music so that also inspired me to start playing a rock band instrument. For a long time I only played the bass in school and actually only bought my first bass when I was 18 (after I had been a bassist in a band and using my friend's bass for a year ). I also got interested in guitar when I was 14. My cousins had an electric guitar and I played it for hours the first time I tried it, even though the only thing I could play was "Smoke on the Water" and some basic chords. But it just felt great and I wanted to start playing the guitar and got my first electric guitar when I was 15.

So what motivated me to start playing the guitar/bass? I think it was the music I listened to (mostly Metallica). But it was also the fact that I just enjoy playing instruments (and that's just something I have always kind of taken for granted because everybody in my family does it too). The guitar just felt great when I tried it, same with the bass. It was fun to play an instrument that also fit the music I enjoyed most.

I never stopped playing the trumpet, even though you can't really play Metallica on it (fun fact, there's actually a book called "Best of Metallica for Trumpet" that is basically the singing melodies arranged for trumpet). Over time I have picked up more instruments. Now I play trumpet, guitar, bass, drums and piano. Right now I'm studying music pedagogy in university and I'm going to become a music theory teacher.

I hope I didn't bore you to death with my life story.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine

Not at all. That's quite a variety of instruments. I felt the same when I recently got my Viper 100fm, it felt heavy but I liked it. Because of that feeling, I knew I was getting into something that can bloom. I play it everyday, just waiting on my strap, cable, and a headphone converter so I can do silent sessions while still hearing it scream. I don't regret it one bit.
Quote by TheArmoredBat

A few years ago, for Christmas, I was given a Strumstick, and picked it up pretty well within a day or two. I guess it must've made me realize that I'd been wanting to learn guitar for a while, so I went to my music shop and picked out a guitar- and the rest, as they say, is history. Although I probably didn't realize it when I was younger, music has always been a tremendously important part of my life.

Quote by TheArmoredBat

What instruments?

Electric and acoustic guitar, bass (by extension, I suppose; I've never really gotten my hands on one), ukulele, piano, and djembe. All of them except guitar I've picked up this year.

Quote by TheArmoredBat

And how far have you come?

On guitar, I'd say I'm right about at an intermediate skill level; for the rest, beginner.
My older bro playing a deftones song power chord style, was mesmerized. Been playing over 10 years now,not great but can still melt sum faces
Quote by TheArmoredBat
What instruments? And how far have you come?

I definitely did not skim through the post and miss these questions. Definitely not.

I play electric and acoustic guitar and electric bass. I don't know which is my main instrument, currently I'm drawn to the bass.

I guess I'm decent. The acoustic is my weakest instrument. I've never been a technically perfect player, but I guess I can improvise and compose on each instrument well enough.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by TheArmoredBat
A few things:

1. Considering I was very shy, a bizarre compulsion to be on stage - as long as I could hide behind others (friends). I was excluded from the school choir (aged 12-ish) for being unable to sing, but couldn't resist getting up onstage with them when they did a performance. I had no idea what I was doing, and little idea about music in general.

2. Donovan. A scruffy kid playing an acoustic guitar (early 1965, I was 15). That was easier to relate to than the electric guitar bands with expensive gear (even though I liked the Stones, etc.)

3. The fact my closest 3 or 4 schoolfriends were all musicians, and had a band (I was 16). They needed a bass player and asked me to join. (It didn't matter I couldn't play bass. I could learn. It was easy, right?)

Quote by TheArmoredBat
What instruments?
Guitar first. Then washtub bass in that band. (Yep that was easy.) Then, within a year or two, I also taught myself the rudiments of banjo, ukelele,mandolin, piano, violin.
Quote by TheArmoredBat
And how far have you come?
Well, I'm still playing, 50 years later. Mostly guitar, some mandolin, and (electric) bass. My first public performance was in that first band, 2 months after I joined (10 months after starting on guitar). But in terms of "success", I've "come" nowhere, basically. I was in a band that made a record in 1979, and it got played on the radio a few times (DJs liked it) but only 500 copies were pressed, so no chance of chart success!. That band folded within a year, but I've been in around 40 bands in my time, often 3 or 4 at the same time.
I've been "professional" for the last 10 years or so, part-time teaching, occasional gigging. Otherwise, I see music as recreation - the most fun you can have with your clothes on. The way I think other people enjoy sport. (I'm not into sport.)
Quote by TheArmoredBat
Thank you. And this thread also serves for newcomers who can hear other stories, and how it may motivate them as well.
Well my experience obviously has zero application to conditions in 2016, but thanks for letting an old man reminisce.... OK, nurse, you can wheel me back to the ward now...
Last edited by jongtr at Aug 28, 2016,
I was about 9 years old, riding an ancient pushbike around the bushveld just outside of Johannesburg, and met up with a black kid, about the same age, and we swapped. Not too sure who got the better deal. Then back in UK, had loads of friends into rock, so they helped me. Have been pro-guitarist, bit of touring, signed to EMI for a compilation album, and subsequently met and played with some amazing players. These days, play for fun, relaxation, though I do some writing with a guy called Vic Martin, who played keys for Gary Moore for many years. That's a lot of fun!
I really got into System of a Down and my brother no longer played his guitars, So I thought "Why not" and started learning from youtube
I wanted to get laid so I decided to learn guitar.

I kept playing because I found the guitar was also fun to play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I wanted to get laid so I decided to learn guitar.

I kept playing because I found the guitar was also fun to play.

Same here. Never actually got laid because of it tho.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Same here. Never actually got laid because of it tho.

Oh I did

But singers still win in that regard.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Oh I did

But singers still win in that regard.

Ive been a frontman for various bands for like 10 years now, still, no dice...
gorkyporky

It's more about taking advantage of the fact you've been the centre of attention of the bar for the last 45 minutes than waiting for groupies to appear.

Although groupies happen sometimes too. But for me that's like one in thirty gigs.
Soundcloud
Yeah, i know. I actually have (or better, had, since im na relationship) no problems getting laid, but the musician factor just never came into play for me for some reason. But whenever i actually tolk girls i play and sing, they actually got less interested than before. Weird i guess.
jerrykramskoy

Ahh you know the life of a musician, aim to please the audience in any way we can. Good times for sure.

But alas, also in a long term relationship now. Was heaps of fun "playing around"

But then again when you realise that your girlfriend gets really excited over her new purchase of a Mesa Boogie head to go with her MIJ Fender bass, well you know that you made the right choice.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
jerrykramskoy

Ahh you know the life of a musician, aim to please the audience in any way we can. Good times for sure.

But alas, also in a long term relationship now. Was heaps of fun "playing around"

But then again when you realise that your girlfriend gets really excited over her new purchase of a Mesa Boogie head to go with her MIJ Fender bass, well you know that you made the right choice.

Now SHE is what I call a girlfiend!! My wife got really excited when I traded her car for studio gear. :-)
What got me into music?

Of all things, it was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City! More specifically, the game's V-ROCK radio channel. I never really got into music until I listened to that soundtrack and discovered that thrash and glam metal existed. It had Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Autograph, Tesla, and some others I don't remember off-hand, but it was so great! I needed to have more and more! So, I signed up for Napster (when that was still a thing) and my musical tastes expanded greatly since I finally had a way of finding new music. From there, I've been finding all kinds of outlets for finding new music. The rest is history
Listening to a lot of my dad's stuff as a kid, I latched on to the album "Time" by Electric Light Orchestra, and was completely enamored by the songwriting and awesomeness, so I decided I wanted to write cool albums like that.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
In 2006 I saw the music video for "Feel Good Inc" by Gorillaz, and said "holy hell playing bass looks really fun"

Now I just listen to Devin Townsend, Zappa and Metallica and sing in a prog rock band. So I ended up in a different direction I guess haha.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
TheArmoredBat

Oh, totally! Still one of my favorite artists, and I'm really excited for the new album!

Edit: Also how appropriate, just realized I joined UG in June 2006, right when I got a bass for my 16th birthday! Thanks for helping me dig up some memories haha.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Aug 31, 2016,
Hmm, very interesting question.

The thing is, my whole life everybody was telling me that I didn't have any musical talents and that I had only analytical mind and I would be a good mathematician or software developer or something like that, and not a great guitarist for example.

But I always had that natural passion for music and especially for playing guitar. So, when I was in college, me and my friends made a musical band. We couldn't find a guitar player, so I decided to learn it (even though it would take me quite a lot of time). So I did, and I became a very good guitarist (at least for me).

So yeah, follow your passions and don't let anyone to build your life for you
“Music is a necessity. After food, air, water and warmth, music is the next necessity of life.” - Keith Richards
Probably a combination of things motivated me to start. First, my brother was playing guitar and bass for like 5 years or something at that time and I was really impressed by what he could do. Second, the guy was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome as a kid and I was diagnosed with the same thing but at age 18- made me think I actually have the brain for that kind of thing. Then, my dad found this shitty acoustic sticking out of a garbage bin in an alley and that was my first guitar. From the start I wanted to make my own music.

I recently got a bass because I felt it would help me with composition and developing rhythm- really good decision. For years I have considered learning to play the violin but I'm 25 now and I think I should just concentrate on guitar and a bit of bass.

Six years ago when I started I don't think I imagined I'd make as much progress as I did. I put a lot of time in practicing and thinking about what I was doing and how to do it better, but I've never been particularly good with my hands. After only about 2 years I had people tell me they thought I had been playing since I was like 7 or something- felt pretty cool, but I make a lot of mistakes. I started out being the kind of guy who wanted to write everything out note for note, but now I find that extremely difficult. I'm actually a lot better at jamming with other people and coming up with crazy guitar lines than anything else at this point, and it kind of sucks because I can't finish songs- the original goal isn't met.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
JimDawson

Keep to it. I just started recently, and I know my path is long but that's my motivation, to get better.
Last edited by TheArmoredBat at Sep 1, 2016,
Page 1 of 2