Hi! Im going to buy my first guitar and i have 2 in mind but can't decide which one i should choose.
Ibanez GRG170DX: This one i can get for 250eur. It is H-S-H and has got a whammy bar. It looks fine for me.
Ibanez GRG121DX: I like this one a lot because it looks really really good and has 2 active pickups. The only problem is it has only got a 3 way switch while the other guitar has got a 5 way switch, providing more versatility.
For anyone wondering i would like to play mostly metal but also some clean riffs/solo's.
Quote by skulled13
Hi! Im going to buy my first guitar and i have 2 in mind but can't decide which one i should choose.
Ibanez GRG170DX: This one i can get for 250eur. It is H-S-H and has got a whammy bar. It looks fine for me.
Ibanez GRG121DX: I like this one a lot because it looks really really good and has 2 active pickups. The only problem is it has only got a 3 way switch while the other guitar has got a 5 way switch, providing more versatility.
For anyone wondering i would like to play mostly metal but also some clean riffs/solo's.

i would go with the 170 personally, beginner I say 121
Last edited by awokenjb3 at Aug 27, 2016,
Quote by skulled13
awokenjb3 Reasons ?

Just what I prefer, it has a middle pick up and a trem bar but also a floating bridge. I wouldn't recommend that for your first guitar because if you are gonna sit here and retune it it can be a pain in the rear. If you are gonna drop tune it to C and retune back up to E standard with varietys of music get the 121 it's a fixed bridge with passive pick ups which is decent.
awokenjb3 But will i still be able to do some clean music with the 121. And is the whammy bar important ?
Quote by skulled13
awokenjb3 But will i still be able to do some clean music with the 121. And is the whammy bar important ?

Whammy bar is not important, I have an Ibanez RG320 with whammy I don't even use it, you can do clean music with it for sure that's why I use my Ibanez for, it also plays really good in drop tuning metal. When I first started I would retune a lot, say Ac dc plays in E standard but guns n roses plays Eb you have to tune guitar down, with floating bridge you have to retune it and take apart the back of the guitar to make the bridge level out again. Woth fixed bridge you can just retune and be on your way no confusing work. It would also help if we knew what music you were gonna play?
awokenjb3 I like all kinds of music besides country so i intend to play all kinds of music but im particulary aiming for something like metallica, slipknot, stone sour, guns and roses and some ac dc
Quote by skulled13
awokenjb3 I like all kinds of music besides country so i intend to play all kinds of music but im particulary aiming for something like metallica, slipknot, stone sour, guns and roses and some ac dc

Yeah fixed bridge would be what I recommend then that way you can just get a tuner, set it and play
awokenjb3 I use guitar tuna on my phone, does it work? Also can you link something for me to learn about the thing you have to do when you retune in fixed bridge ? I wanted to learn more about that
Quote by skulled13
awokenjb3 I use guitar tuna on my phone, does it work? Also can you link something for me to learn about the thing you have to do when you retune in fixed bridge ? I wanted to learn more about that

Yeah I use an app called PanoTuner it's decent, here's a link for retuning the fixed bridge https://www.floydrose.com/support/tech-support/string-tuning-instructions
awokenjb3 Nice, thanks . GuitarTuna asks you to buy premium to have the non standart tunings
How? The tuner has the notes...just look up the notes for drop tune online and match it on the guitar
awokenjb3 Its like GuitarTuna works on standart tuning and it only says if your guitar is tuned up or down of the standart note for that string. If you buy premium it does that but for all notes in all strings. You can do things differently for example if you want everything half tone below you can tune while playing the string on the first fret and it works just fine.