Hi all,

I've been playing guitar for like 10 years. I have a '52 telecaster with a custom hot rails pickup and a fender hot rod deluxe amp. But I'm a little bored by the tone of the amp. I've bought it in 2008 and I like the clean tone, but the drive/overdrive is not my type anymore and it's impossible to play at home because of the volume so I only use it with band rehearsals. I've got some pedals I would like an amp with a built in decent hard rock sound.

So I'm looking for a new tube amp with a good clean channel and a nice hard rock overdrive or distortion channel that also isn't too loud (or one that can switch between watts).

Or does someone thinks this amp is a keeper and I should use some other pedals to crank it up?

Thx for your answers!

Cheers,
Mike
I highly recommend the JCM 2000 DSL series. They're solid versatile amps that have one of the better Marshall clean tones around.

Also you gave no budget so maybe something like a Mesa Roadking
Last edited by nickdohle at Aug 27, 2016,
Have you thought about getting something like a single-channel Orange amp, running that as your dirty and the Fender as your clean? Then if the "rock" amp you get plays well at home volumes, just use that at home, and both for gigs?

You could also consider a preamp like the Two Notes Le Crunch or Le Lead, either through the front of the amp, or into the power amp. Or a small amp that you can use at home, then run into the power amp of your Fender. An Orange Micro Dark or Peavey 5150 Piranha would work, as you could go out from the micro head's effects loop send, then get all the volume from the Fender's power amp, bypassing the solid state effects loop. You might want something bigger though.
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Aug 27, 2016,
Quote by MikeBeerQ
nickdohle My budget is around 1000 euro's ( i'm from Belgium ) !

I hear the Brexit has the pound down, if grab an all tube Marshall before they rebound
Fellow Belgian here. I know a guy selling a Marshall Jubilee Combo (an old one, not the newer reissue) for a really nice price. I could get you in contact if you want. There's tons of used stuff out there. Belgium has a good used market if you search hard enough. Also remember that it's a buyers market. Most sellers will come down a bit.

I'd look into an older Marshall DSL, maybe an Orange like suggested. You could probably get an AD30 and a 112 / 212 (Orange) cab for a thousand. I've even seen Rockerverbs go as low as 800. Hughes and Kettner might be worth looking into as well.

What kind of hard rock are we talking about? You might want to play Cream and Led Zeppelin, but for all we know, you want to rock out to Foo Fighters and Iron Maiden.

nickdohle Marshalls haven't decreased in price new or used around here, really. Shipping one over from the UK probably yields less than impressive savings. :P
Quote by nickdohle
I highly recommend the JCM 2000 DSL series. They're solid versatile amps that have one of the better Marshall clean tones around.

Also you gave no budget so maybe something like a Mesa Roadking

1000% this. Provided it's economically viable. Not sure how expensive it runs you over there. I like the older ones myself.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I'd say 650 for the 100W head is reasonable. I've seen them go for 550 as well, though. Very viable option. Leaves you with more than enough to pick up a good cab.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Have you thought about getting something like a single-channel Orange amp, running that as your dirty and the Fender as your clean? Then if the "rock" amp you get plays well at home volumes, just use that at home, and both for gigs?

yeah that's an idea if it's not too much to carry for the gigs (or doesn't take up too much room in his house). if that's an option I second cath's suggestion of jet city (or the head version with the harley benton g212 vintage cabinet).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?