well, i have had my showmaster since it was new (2003), and i just picked up an identical one (this one has a trem though), cheap because i love the one i have and wanted a second.

here is my dilemma i use both the bridge and neck pickups a lot on most of my guitars, and i am confined to a single pickup on these. i have had several pickups in the showmaster throughout time, and i haven't played it for a year or two. it will be in C#std. i just want something with smooth enough leads for metal, and have balls for riffing.

i don't like the EMG 81 that was in there for a while, hated the x2n, at the moment i have a gibson 490r in it (don't like it either).

i don't know where to start, as i have yet to be satisfied. i need to get new pickups in a bunch of guitars, i am in the planning stages.

i would like to be able to get a smooth lead like vai, while having a rhythm like acacia strain/black dahlia murder kind of stuff. i want to get a stoner type of tone as well. i guess top priority is a compromise.

i may do coil tap or s/p thing if that would help out. normally i don't do that though.

deliberate.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Usual suspects:

Tesla has a variety of HB options, mostly aimed at the heavier genres of music. I have a VR-Extreme in the bridge of a custom axe, and it is perfect for hair metal. Others are beefier.

Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers can bring da bröötz, but also clean up quite well. Despite being passives, though, they do sound a bit like EMGs. So their particular flavor of tone may not be to your liking.

Railhammer's Chisel have high output punch coupled with a hybrid rail & pole design created with low-end/drop tuning in mind. Their Anvil is even higher output. My Reverend Sensei RA has a pair of Chisels standard, and is tuned CGDAEG. It sounds great at both ends of its range. They also have HB-sized P90s utilizing the same hybrid design ranging from classically voiced to the high-output P90s popular with players like Billy Corgan (who has a sig version) and Matt Bellamy.

And, of course, Rio Grande has all kinds of nifty pickups of varying levels of heat...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Usual suspects:

Tesla has a variety of HB options, mostly aimed at the heavier genres of music. I have a VR-Extreme in the bridge of a custom axe, and it is perfect for hair metal. Others are beefier.

Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers can bring da bröötz, but also clean up quite well. Despite being passives, though, they do sound a bit like EMGs. So their particular flavor of tone may not be to your liking.

Railhammer's Chisel have high output punch coupled with a hybrid rail & pole design created with low-end/drop tuning in mind. Their Anvil is even higher output. My Reverend Sensei RA has a pair of Chisels standard, and is tuned CGDAEG. It sounds great at both ends of its range. They also have HB-sized P90s utilizing the same hybrid design ranging from classically voiced to the high-output P90s popular with players like Billy Corgan (who has a sig version) and Matt Bellamy.

And, of course, Rio Grande has all kinds of nifty pickups of varying levels of heat...

i was already looking into the railhammers (i am going to get one of the railhammer P90 sized buckers for an LP). as far as the railhammer, i was thinking about the anvil. but maybe the chisel would be better?

one other contender at the moment is the lace brent hinds hammer claw. love the tone, but i don't have experience with one. no idea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
my dilemma is specifically that i want something that can use for riffing and leads. if the guitars were HH, i know what i would throw in, i just don't want to have a killer rhythm and a ice picky lead.

as far as other guitars go, i know what i am looking for... i just have to get around to ordering them. evo's are going in one prestige, one LP is getting the bucker sized p90 (staying with the 500t for bridge), d-activators in another prestige, and i sold the strat that i was going to put new pickups in (thats one way to fix it... lol), and i just need to get my SG up and running, i just need to rewire it. not a big deal (but i haven't played that guitar for a couple of years...). so it will be almost new to me. haha
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i was already looking into the railhammers (i am going to get one of the railhammer P90 sized buckers for an LP). as far as the railhammer, i was thinking about the anvil. but maybe the chisel would be better?

one other contender at the moment is the lace brent hinds hammer claw. love the tone, but i don't have experience with one. no idea.

I haven't had hands on the Hammer Claws either, alas.

As for Chisel vs Anvil, I'd have to say that the Anvil is such a beast, that if you really want to get a classic clean lead tone from your HB, and you only have one to work with, the Chisle is the better option.

These guys can illustrate that better than I can say it, though...

Dennis Kayzer demos the Chisel & Anvil:

Rick Beard demos the Chisel, dirty then clean:

Ryan Bruce puts the chisel through its paces:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Which Humcutter (Railhammer's name for HB-sized P90s) are you looking at?

What's the plan for the SG?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Which Humcutter (Railhammer's name for HB-sized P90s) are you looking at?

What's the plan for the SG?

this is for the LP: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/humbucker-pickups/railhammer-tel-90-humbucker-size-p90-pickup

the SG i have no idea, right now it has a pair of EMG 81's and i need to wire it up from scratch. the clips on the quick connect have failed in multiple occasions. i like how it sounds, i just need to overhaul it. i will probably leave the EMG's in there for the moment. i am not really sure. i don't feel like putting money in it to be honest. its kind of a doom/stoner machine at the moment.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!

Sounds like a great opportunity to try out the EMG 57 and let us all know how it really sounds!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
It just occurred to me that the Tel90 has kind of a hybrid Tele bridge/P90 tone. Depending on the tone you seek, another pickup that might work is Lollar's Novel T:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=10-109-13&Category_Code=telecaster-pickups