Is there any company out there other than Jackson who makes a decent Rhoads shaped guitar? I craigslisted my old one out to pasture and I'm looking for an upgrade. I love the shape for playability but it seems like Jackson has taken a dip in quality over the years.
(don't worry about specs and price, I can research that, I just want to know where to start looking)
Quote by GMX7
I love the shape for playability but it seems like Jackson has taken a dip in quality over the years.

Get an older one then? Also if you want to go older, 80s Kramers are well regarded so you can try to find an 80s Vanguard. Otherwise ESP/LTD make the various Alexi Laiho signature guitars.

Also Carvin/Kiesel makes the Ultra V which is asymmetrical but has a longer treble wing so it's "backwards" looking. You might be able to get them to put "lefty" body rotated 180 on it since their guitars are semi-custom (ie built-to-order to specifications from a choice of options rather than fully custom). I'm sure they could but I don't know if they would charge extra. Either way though they start at around 1050 which may be more than you to spend whereas a decent vintage Rhoads or Vanguard could be had in the 5-8 range. But the Carvin would probably be everything you could want if they are willing to do the reversed body and well worth the money.

Are symmetrical Vs out of the question? That significatly increases options. What about Warrior shaped guitars? They sit in you lap like a Rhoads but also can sit like a Strat or whatever if you want. The BC Rich Stealth and Ibanez Xiphos are a couple of options if you dig Warriors but you will probably have to go used.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 28, 2016,
GMX7

Look into Carvin's Ultra V model. You can often find a used one for $500-ish and then you have a USA custom shop guitar for a stupid price.

It's a "reverse Rhoads" but the playability is even better than a standard Rhoads. The reversed wing really lends itself well both to sitting and standing.

Here's mine:

Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I love the shape for playability but it seems like Jackson has taken a dip in quality over the years.

It depends on what series you're talking about. If it's the JS then they're bargain basement guitars what do you expect, but the Pro Series and USA Select? Naaaaa

I think if you're willing to spend slightly more serious cash but cannot afford a USA Select Jackson, Carvin may be your next best bet.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 29, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It depends on what series you're talking about. If it's the JS then they're bargain basement guitars what do you expect, but the Pro Series and USA Select? Naaaaa.

^This: as with any company it depends on the level of guitar that you buy. Two years back I purchased a used 2010 MIJ Jackson RR3 for $450 and it is awesome, MIJ Jackson's are not hard to find typically a usually not very expensive especially if you consider the quality of the instruments IMO for the low price. Most MIJ Jackson's hover around the $300-$400 range I padi a bit more for mine but it was nearly mint and came with a factory hard case.

Of course the other guitars mentioned are great choices as well.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge