Okay so I restrung my most favoured guitar the other day after not having changed strings in quite some time (a few months, some of which it went untouched) and I noticed an amount of wear on the frets that might be an indication that my frets are wearing down. Thing is I have never had a guitar long enough to wear the frets down like this and I don't know if they're actually bad enough to warrant getting them dressed. There's visible wear and a little buzzing in a few places but it's not sticking out a whole lot.

Could anyone enlighten me as to when it's a good idea to dress frets?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
a little wear is to be expected. if you notice any areas that the wear is digging into the fret (which makes the surface uneven) then it's time for sure. if the strings buzz when fretted then you likely have an issue (provided that guitar already has had a good set up). if you are unsure your best bet it to take it to a tech for an evaluation. most guitars can have the frets dressed (grind and polish) several times before a refret is necessary.
If the guitar plays with no issues then forget about it for now. If the strings hang up in divots in the frets or other issues hamper playing then the frets might need a grind and polish or even replacement.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Okay upon further inspection the strings are actually getting caught in small marks in the frets, so I'm probably going to go and get them dressed later this week

Many thanks for the advice all
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Sure thing, but it'll have to wait a bit, work awaits
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Not an easy thing to photogragh but that's the most offensive fret.
The unwound strings are getting caught in the grooves and the wound strings have flattened the crown of the fret.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Yeah that's only minor wear, but it never hurts to get them dressed up a bit.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend