Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I want to buy a new guitar, a new amp and pedals... I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I have the Squier starter pack (with the frontman 15g amp) and I want to replace it. I am a 14 year old guy (and please don't judge it...) and I play hard rock and metal music, like Guns n Roses and Metallica. I want the guitar, amp and pedals for practising at home, with low volume (you know, neighbours...) and probably in the future home recording and practising with a band. I need something that I can use for many years-let's say something like 10 or more...

As for the pedals, I will most likely buy the multi-effects pedal Boss GT-10 (https://www.boss.info/us/products/gt-10/) and I have found a used one for 220€. My teacher also recommends it, so I'll probably go with that.

Now I have a 1200€ budget left for the guitar and amp.

As for the guitar, I really like the Gibson Les Paul Faded Studio 2016 T (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx) which costs 700€. I've read many good comments about it and it's good for rock, hard rock and metal, you know Les Paul models, they're good for almost everything (mostly hard rock and metal-which I like to play).

Now I have 500€ for the amp. I don't know many things about amps... I think that I like the Blackstar HT series but I'm not sure at all. What would you recommend me?

Finally I would also like to buy new picks lol I think that I like Hetfield black fang (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/hetfield-black-fang) 0.94 or 1.24mm or Hammett signature picks (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/kirk-hammett-signature-picks). What would you say?

What do you think? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!

(Sorry for the grammar, I'm from Greece lol)
FotisKmn Les Paul Studios are good, but I'm biased because I have one. Chapman ML-2, PRS, ESP LTD EC series guitars are all worth considering.

Something like this is kind of a cross between Slash and Hetfield:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec256_fm_ld.htm?ref=search_rslt_ltd+ec+_282323
https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec_256fm_dbsb.htm?ref=search_rslt_ltd+ec+_385400

It might be cheaper than you're looking for though, but you would then have more for the amp, which would mean that you could go from a 5 watt Blackstar or Marshall to 20+ watts. A 40 watt amp like one of these would definitely see you through 10 years:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_club_40_venue_combo.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_dsl40c_2012.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/egnater_tweaker_40_112.htm

But you would have to turn them right down to play at home, so a 15-25 watt amp might be better. Or the Peavey Valveking 50, which is variable.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_valve_king_50_combo.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_studio_20_combo.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/egnater_tweaker_112.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_dsl15c_2012.htm?ref=prod_rel_298436_1

Or, alternatively, buy a good head and a cheap cab to start with, if you will be playing in places where you can borrow cabs. But probably not if you only have €500.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h_bundle_1.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/evh_5150_iii_15w_lbx_top.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_mini_head.htm these two might be too metal for G'n'R stuff, I'm not sure. But they have variable outputs, and you can use the 6505 through headphones without a cab, which is very handy.

Personally, I dont like digital multi-effects units, and I'm not sure that you really need that many effects for Guns 'n' Roses or Metallica. You'd probably be better off putting that money towards a better amp, and picking up some stomp boxes when you find you need effects. That's what I would do personally, just the guitar, a good 2-channel head of at least 15 watts, and an ok 1x12 or 2x12 cab.
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Aug 28, 2016,
do you actually need the Boss GT-10? seems like a couple of good pedals along with a nice amp and guitar might be a bit more practical at this stage. I'd spend more on the amp if I were you as that is the heart of your sound. I'd seriously consider going used as well as that will stretch the money further.

don't get caught up so much in wattage for tube amps either a 20 watt isn't much quieter than a 50 watt. use a 50 watt Peavey Valveking for practice at home and so far the neighbors haven't tried to kill me. if you want to play in a band then 30-50 watts (tube) is where you'll want to be. since you are in Europe I'd look at Jet City amps as they are a good deal.

as for guitars well there are alternatives to a Les Paul that might be as good or better than the Gibson you are looking at. ESP/LTD and PRS both make LP style guitars that are excellent. I'd also not get to caught up on the idea of 10 years or more. you are a beginner and will likely go through a change or two in that time as to what you want to play and have a better idea by then of what you want out of a guitar. belive me after 35+ years of playing where you start and where you end up are rarely the same.
+1 on jet city if you don't have to play too quietly. either the jet city 50/100/100hdm head and the harley benton g212 vintage cabinet or the 5012 combo if you want to save a little money and space.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yep that should work fine. i didn't realise the HB cab was quite a bit dearer than the jet city one- though i'd say if he can stretch to it, or save slightly longer (apart from the mismatched cosmetics) the HB cab is probably a bit better deal. the stock jet city speakers are pretty good for fairly cheap stock speakers, but he may well feel he wants to upgrade the speakers with the jet city cab later, and that would put it a fair bit above the HB cab in terms of price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
I don't have much battery power left to check, would the money saved by not buying the multi-effects unit cover a better cab?
luke.g.henderso thank you for helping me!! That jet city head with the hb cab is around 550€ which I can afford!! Does it have 2 channels?? But space could be an issue... Is there a combo that is as good as this is? If not, I'll try to make space and go with that... Also, is that good enough for the music I listed above?? Is that ESP much worse than the lp studio?? Finally, is there a better ESP or PRS or whatever (and I don't really like Chapman guitars) that has about the same price with the lp or lower and that is better?
Last edited by FotisKmn at Aug 30, 2016,
monwobobbo thanks for your help but the pedals that I want will cost me almost the same with the multi effects (with the power supply) so I thought that it would be a better deal because I also have more options with that.. am I wrong?
Above suggestions are all good, I would echo the thought that you may want to put more money towards the amp and maybe less on the guitar as the amp is going to have a greater impact on your tone.

For GnR a Marshall DSL40 would do you great, can also crank up the gain and do Metallica

Scrap the GT pedal and get a few dedicated pedals - overdrive, delay, chorus, wah and you would be pretty much set for everything those two bands play.

guitarsngear thanks, but I will not only play GNR and Metallica and in the future I might want to play heavier stuff or generally different. As for the amp, I'd like it to be a little heavier. And as I said above, I'll have more effects with about the same price with the pedals, this is why I am thinking to buy that. Is the GT soooo bad??
Quote by FotisKmn
luke.g.henderso thank you for helping me!! That jet city head with the hb cab is around 550€ which I can afford!! Does it have 2 channels?? But space could be an issue... Is there a combo that is as good as this is? If not, I'll try to make space and go with that... Also, is that good enough for the music I listed above?? Is that ESP much worse than the lp studio?? Finally, is there a better ESP or PRS or whatever (and I don't really like Chapman guitars) that has about the same price with the lp or lower and that is better?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
FotisKmn, as Arby911 posted, there's a 1x12 combo, and it is 2-channel.

I would say that the ESP LTD EC-256 is still a decent guitar, it would probably hold up against Epiphones. For more expensive models, this would give you some Kirk Hammett action:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec331_fr_sw.htm
For about the same price as the Gibson LP Studio, you can get an EC-401, with actual EMGs rather than ESP's own brand. Or, if you prefer passive pickups, and dont mind the paint job, there's this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_wa_200_warbird_dist_blk.htm

Any PRS SE Standard should be good really.

For another video that shows amps that do the sound you're looking at, (although they're more expensive than the Jet City):

Quote by FotisKmn
monwobobbo thanks for your help but the pedals that I want will cost me almost the same with the multi effects (with the power supply) so I thought that it would be a better deal because I also have more options with that.. am I wrong?

wrong not necessarily. I guess I asked because you are a new player and could easily get by with a coupe of pedals now and put more money into guitar and amp which would be the smart thing to do. while the GT-10 is fine there is something to be said about individual pedals. if you go the individual route then you get to choose the exact pedal you want rather than settle for what the multi-fx offers (which may or may not be prefect for your needs).

what I'm getting at is that the guitar an amp are the core of your setup. pedals tend to be more icing on the cake. once you get past a very few "you probably should have one" pedals you get into stuff that is cool to have but may not see much use. personally I use an overdrive, wha, delay and a phaser for my board. I can eliminate the phaser if need be as the other 3 are what get used the most and come in handy for most songs. yes I have other pedals for certain uses but those 4 are what are on my actual board. simple is often the best way to go. just my opinion
Check out jackson guitars. If you happen to like flashy guitars and aggressive metal tone they have some good guitars. I own one of their "affordable" series guitars (JS32 series). It sounds decent for the price but I also have room to upgrade because it's not an insanely expensive guitar. I'm a strong advocate of their guitars because I love the specs for what I play (Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, etc.)
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
luke.g.henderso that jet city combo looks cool, but it's almost 200€ cheaper than the head+cab... is there a big difference? I also really like the egnater tweaker 40, but that is too expensive... and I think that the tweaker 15 has a really low wattage... that peavy valveking 50 is also awesome, but will I "get caught" with high wattage and get a not that good amp? So it's like the jet city combo vs egnater tweaker 40 vs egnater tweaker 15 vs peavy valveking 50 or maybe an amp like these that is about 30 Watt (or 20-40) and that costs about 500€?
As for the guitar, that ec 331 and ec 401 are awesome. I would like to see similar options that have 24 frets and maybe a tremolo would be awesome, but not that necessary... is there an ec guitar that has a "2 way" tremolo (I don't know how it's called, but you know, like the tremolo that Hammett uses). price range about 700€, but if there is something great that has a little different price I would like to see that!!
(Sorry for too many questions...)
monwobobbo Ok!!! Can you recommend me a good overdrive, and delay (and maybe if there is a cheap octave) with a power supply that can handle many pedals for the future? As for the wah I will probably get the dunlop cry baby... I don't really know the price ranges, but maybe under 200€ for the od, crybaby, delay and power supply.. if that's too low, go for a little bit more expensive. Thanks again!!
^ i haven't tried the tweaker.

it's ages since i've tried the valveking but i think the jet city is better for what you want unless you need a fendery clean channel.

I haven't tried the 5012 combo, but as far as I'm aware it's supposed to be the exact same circuit as the 50 watt head. it basically should come down to the difference between combos and extension cabs- combos sometimes can sound a little microphonic (since the speakers are in the same box as the valves and shake them), they're also sometimes a little small in terms of the cabinet dimensions (which can sound boxy). and with the head and separate cabinet you have an extra speaker which normally sounds better. of course, as you said and know, the head and cab will take up a fair bit more room and costs a fair bit more. so it's really up to you.

regarding the two channel thing you said- it is two channel, but it's not really a clean channel, it's more of a crunch channel. it's basically the same circuit for both channels, but the overdrive channel has an extra gain stage (so it has more distortion available). the eq is shared across both channels. if you dial in the gain low on the normal channel, pick lightly, use a lower output pickup and/or roll the volume down on your guitar (and don't need to play too loudly) then you'll get something which is more or less clean out of the normal channel. it won't be a pristine, sparkly fender-style clean, though.

Quote by luke.g.henderso
Dave_Mc
I don't have much battery power left to check, would the money saved by not buying the multi-effects unit cover a better cab?

oh yeah absolutely, i think IIRC it was only like 50 euros in it. or if you cared about the cosmetics (i probably do ) it would even probably cover getting the jet city cab and switching the speakers. or near enough, anyway.

Quote by FotisKmn
monwobobbo Ok!!! Can you recommend me a good overdrive, and delay (and maybe if there is a cheap octave) with a power supply that can handle many pedals for the future? As for the wah I will probably get the dunlop cry baby... I don't really know the price ranges, but maybe under 200€ for the od, crybaby, delay and power supply.. if that's too low, go for a little bit more expensive. Thanks again!!

you need to be careful with the loop on the jet city- it's line level (and also comes before some of the distortion, which isn't ideal). there's a list here of pedals which are known to work ok in the loop (the delays, I mean, wah and overdrive etc. don't go in the loop): http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615

for the overdrive, something in the tubescreamer or boss sd1 camp should work (there are tons of clones, i haven't tried them all). the sd1 has a bit of an iffy buffer with bypass bleed if you don't put another buffered pedal in front, but it is pretty cheap and sounds good. or there's a cheaper daphon clone (often rebranded under other brands) which doesn't seem to have the problem. there should be a ton of tubescreamer clones under the harley benton brand name on thomann.

i haven't tried any octaves. i'm not too well up on wahs either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FotisKmn
Dave_Mc thanks!!! So I guess that probably I will not get the jet city...

While what he says is true, I think you'll find it's not much of an actual impediment.

Hell, I would hazard that 90% of the loops in existence never get used at all...
Charles Darwin
that jet city combo looks cool, but it's almost 200€ cheaper than the head+cab... is there a big difference?

Generally, a combo will be cheaper than a head & cab setup. However, the head & cab setup gives you long-term flexibility and price savings: once you have a cab you like, you can use it with all kinds of heads. And buying heads is MUCH cheaper than buying combos.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Unless you're buying it for power there's no real point in purchasing a head+cab if they're both the same model.
Guitars:
Ok, now I see the difference!!
Also, I did some research and found out that the tremolo that Hammett uses and that I mentioned before is called FR-style. So I think that the ESP LTD EC-401 FR is just perfect. Or is it too metal for GNR? What do you think?
FotisKmn
In my opinion it's all about what you like. I bought a Jackson V and everyone told me it was way too flashy, but I told them I didn't give a sh*t because I thought it was cool. It also has a floyd rose (FR-style tremolo) and I find that bit difficult but also useful at the same time. If you're willing to be patient with tuning the floyd I think that guitar would be good for you. ESP also looks like a great brand, I'd probably buy my guitars from their brand if I didn't like what Jackson had more.
Guitars:
Quote by FotisKmn
Also, I did some research and found out that the tremolo that Hammett uses and that I mentioned before is called FR-style. So I think that the ESP LTD EC-401 FR is just perfect. Or is it too metal for GNR? What do you think?

It will work fine, there are no genre-specific guitars. You can play metal on a strat, you can play blues on a V.
Charles Darwin
OP - I have the GT-10 and with an amp with loop and 2 channel switching you can use it as separate pedals if you wanted in the 4 cable setup method and manual (pedal mode). It can also switch the amp clean and dirty channels for you as long as it is 2 channel amp. I use it currently with my Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier and it works great.
This guy shows what you can do:

I like your choices, guitar - could go for something else as well, it is all about what is comfortable for you. Some of the Epis are also a good deal if you don't want to splurge on Gibson, especially on the lower price range Epi might be a better deal. LTD and Schecter or Godin would also be a good choice, it is really on personal preference.

I'd go with DSL40C amp instead of the Blackstar, but everything else is solid.
diabolical So should I buy or not buy the Boss GT-10...? What are the pros and cons? Also, is the DSL40C for metal? I think that I've read that it's mostly for classic/hard rock... Is that wrong?
You can get the GT-10, especially for the price I don't think you can do better. It can also be used as a recording interface or on its own for quiet practice.
The DSL40C is basically all in one amp, it can do clean to hard rock and with overdrive or boost do quite well for metal. You can use an overdrive setting from the GT-10 to boost it if you want or just get a cheap overdrive to put in front of the channel for that. It is probably your best bet for the money. Maybe Jet City could do as well but I am not that familiar with their offerings.
diabolical true, probably it's good for me...
And that dsl40c is still too much expensive, if I had that money I would get the egnater tweaker 40... I can only afford under 600€ for an amp... Is there anything else except the jet city?? (For hard rock+metal and that I don't need you know overdrive and other things to sound like that) thanks for helping me!!
Quote by FotisKmn
diabolical true, probably it's good for me...
And that dsl40c is still too much expensive, if I had that money I would get the egnater tweaker 40... I can only afford under 600€ for an amp... Is there anything else except the jet city?? (For hard rock+metal and that I don't need you know overdrive and other things to sound like that) thanks for helping me!!

Just buy the Jet City combo and play.

Worrying over gear won't make you a better player.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Just buy the Jet City combo and play.

Worrying over gear won't make you a better player.

I dunno...I heard K. K. Downing's REAL name is Kvetch Kvetch Downing...

But seriously, Arby911 is basically right. Nobody EVER gets their rig right first time out. Hell- for most players, rigs are a path, not a destination.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by FotisKmn

look at Joyo's line of pedals for inexpensive but decent fx.

i'll stress again that the amp is the heart of your sound. you should be able to get a Marshall DSL40 combo or even better the older DSL50 combo for your budget. even if that means not being able to invest as much into FX it would be a wiser move.

Diabolical is correct that the GT-10 can do a great deal of useful things. a good friend of mine uses one as well. my point was more about putting the cart before the horse than the quality of the GT-10. at this point you have't been playing all that long and really need to concentrate on that. having a good base sound will certainly help with that at ton of fx may distract from that. you aren't at appoint where recording or playing in a band is really going to happen. down the road you will have more money to invest in gear no real reason to try to do it all at once.
Alright, I read everything and I'd like to ask my final question. I have 3 options now. Which one you think is better?
1. Buy the jet city combo and GT 10 but will it work fine with the loop?
2. Buy the Egnater Tweaker 40 combo and not the GT 10
3. Buy the Marshall DSL40 combo and not the GT 10
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
While what he says is true, I think you'll find it's not much of an actual impediment.

Hell, I would hazard that 90% of the loops in existence never get used at all...

yeah, i use the loop in my jet city and it works fine. admittedly i use pedals which i know work in it (the digitech/hardwire delay and reverb), and i don't use pedals all that much.

i was just saying all that stuff about the jet city so he knows up front the limitations- i'd rather have that than have him buy it and come back annoyed that we didn't tell him straight. But I agree with you, I think the jet city is what he should buy, it's hard to beat for his budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FotisKmn

the tremolo hammett uses is an original floyd rose. or a floyd rose original. they keep changing the name. anyway it's made by schaller in germany, and it's on expensive guitars. on cheaper guitars your best bet (unless you get really lucky with a good deal on something with a schaller-made OFR, a schaller trem, or one of the good Ibanez Edge trems) is probably something that comes with an frt-x000 trem, which is the korean-made version of the OFR with roughly the same specs and materials. E.g. the charvel pro mods have those trems.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FotisKmn
Alright, I read everything and I'd like to ask my final question. I have 3 options now. Which one you think is better?
1. Buy the jet city combo and GT 10 but will it work fine with the loop?
2. Buy the Egnater Tweaker 40 combo and not the GT 10
3. Buy the Marshall DSL40 combo and not the GT 10

arguments can be made for all 3 options especially if you can find them used. what really matters is what you think. do some homework and decide what you think is best. both Arby and Diabolical are respected members here and I've been known to be right occasionally to . we all have different opinons and yet none are really "wrong". much of it is based on personal opinion. for instance I really don't care for Tweaker amps but that doesn't mean they aren't right for you. same with the Boss unit, not for me but as I said a good friend (and excellent guitar player) of mine swears by his.
Page 1 of 2