Hi guys. So I have a quick question for you guys. Fender doesn't make very many flame top stratocasters. Really just two colors in a few configurations so far as I can see. But did they used to make different colored flame tops? I think I black flame top would be really attractive on a strat. But I haven't ever seen any but the tobacco burst and the cherry burst
Anyway, thanks
flame tops have never really been a Fender thing. recently their Select series sported flame maple tops in the colors you mentioned. they also did a MIM version with a flame veneer. back in the early 90s they had the Elite series that did some different colors with a flame top (pretty sure veneer) but those are rather rare these days. Fender tends toward the old styles and that is what their main customer base seems to be interested in. keep in mind that they also own and make Jackson and Charvel guitars which both have models with fancy tops in different colors.
That is true.
I ask because I have been considering trying to put a strat together. Stratocaster necks are interchangeable, so I can just buy the one I want and put on there. So I was just thinking maybe I could find a body with a transparent black finish on a flame maple top. I just think t looks good
Flame tops on Strats always kind of struck me as lipstick on a pig. More money for the same ham.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I recently picked up a 2013 select HSS strat and it's a beautiful guitar. Got it quite cheap and it's in immaculate condition. Absolutely recommend giving one a try if you find one.
Well, I am looking for a flame top strat. And I really want fender. Because the entire reason I want a strat is because I love the "soft v" necks. So whether it has one or not, I will be putting one of those on it. Otherwise I don't want it. And I personally like flame maple. But if I can't get a strat with a flame maple top I like then I will probably just get a black one. But I gotta stay under about $1500. That's top for me. And for that I'd want a flame top that's blue.
Otherwise I'll likely get the Clapton strat in black and maybe change the pickups.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 29, 2016,
Honestly my favorite of all those is the one with the antique burst.

I'm thinking my best bet is to buy a stratocaster with the neck I want and pickups I like regardless of finish, and then just order a custom one from warmoth or something. Although honestly I'm not opposed to solid colors, I just like flame tops.
But either way I have to sell my lp first
There is no reason to buy 2 guitars to mix & match parts to make the one you want. Lots of burdens make flame top Strats. Some will make necks with Soft V profiles. Parts makers can make that neck and supply it to the builder you choose. Pickups can be bought all kinds of ways, including directly from the manufacturers.

So, for instance, you could get a body you like and put a Mighty Mite neck on it.
http://www.mightymite.com/strat-c-6_7/

Or you could go to Carvin and probably get everything you want on it except the "Fender" headstock.
http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/bolt
http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/c66

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 30, 2016,
Nah, buying 2 whole guitars is a pain. If I went that route I'd just buy one guitar that had the neck and pick guard and pickups and everything I wanted and consider getting a new body for it. But I likely wouldn't.
My point in making this thread was mostly just to find out what my choices are for flame top stratocasters from fender. Already made. Factory. Honestly I like the plus top models they are making currently, I was just curious as to other colors they may have made in the past. Particularly a black one or a blue one. But any colors really
Fender makes a flame top strat in cherry burst and in tobacco burst now. And they aren't that expensive. It just seems to me that they must have made Some other colored flame tops in the past that aren't custom shop models. And I was wondering if they happened to make a blue one or a black one with a flame top.
Lgarretto

they did make some in the 90s with different colors not sure about black but pretty sure blue was done. as I said before they are kinda rare but can be found on ebay sometimes. Elite series they featured Lace Sensor pickups and had a side by side bridge pup that looks like a humbucker but wasn't in the traditional sense.

the Select series has an actual maple top as opposed to a veneer. I believe Suhr makes a strat style with a maple top as well. if you want a Fender then you really are most likely out of luck they just didn't go that route for production models outside of a few limited things.
Quote by Lgarretto
Honestly my favorite of all those is the one with the antique burst.

I'm thinking my best bet is to buy a stratocaster with the neck I want and pickups I like regardless of finish, and then just order a custom one from warmoth or something. Although honestly I'm not opposed to solid colors, I just like flame tops.
But either way I have to sell my lp first

Pick up a neck from Stratosphere and a body from Warmoth. Put whatever pickups and bridge you like on it and you have the neck you want on an otherwise fully custom guitar, and you only pay once for each part.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Aug 30, 2016,